New to RFXCOM plugin - trying to get blinds working

Posted on
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:32 pm
az138 offline

New to RFXCOM plugin - trying to get blinds working

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the plugin and am trying to get my blinds motors working. The motors are from a local company, though they may be rebranding something else which I suspect is the A-OK motor because they use the same remote that I have. I see the A-OK protocol is not supported yet, but I am not 100% sure if this is my protocol. Is there any way to tell?

I have the RFXCOM device and plugins installed and working. When I press buttons on the remote I see items like the following in the event log window.

Code: Select all
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 6 3 2 0 11 85 80 (06 03 02 00 0B 55 50)
   RFXCOM Debug                    ++++++++++++++
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 8 3 2 1 32 90 171 85 173 (08 03 02 01 20 5A AB 55 AD)
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 13 3 2 2 68 110 218 213 85 91 213 214 181 168 (0D 03 02 02 44 6E DA D5 55 5B D5 D6 B5 A8)
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 10 3 2 3 47 109 170 170 214 181 218 (0A 03 02 03 2F 6D AA AA D6 B5 DA)
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 6 3 2 4 9 85 128 (06 03 02 04 09 55 80)
   RFXCOM Debug                    processing: 10 3 12 5 48 0 0 0 0 0 0 (0A 03 0C 05 30 00 00 00 00 00 00)

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 am
b_weijenberg offline

Re: New to RFXCOM plugin - trying to get blinds working

The received messages are ATI undecoded messages and useless.
Use the latest Ext2 firmware in the RFXtrx433E and enable only Blinds T1/T2/T3/T4 to receive the A-OK remote.
If you need more help contact support rfxcom.com

Posted on
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 pm
az138 offline

Thank you. I flashed to the latest Ext2 firmware and made sure only the Blinds T1/T2/T3/T4 protocol was enabled.

In RFXmngr I cannot see any response from the remote, however on the Blinds1 tab I used "T3 A-OK AC114, AC123, Motolux" as the type and set a random ID and could see the RFXCOM transmit.

I then hit the learn button on my blinds and can control my blinds from RFXmngr just fine.

The question now is how can I set this up as a device in Indigo? I've tried adding a RFXCOM device in Indigo as "Blinds Remote" with the Address that I used in RFXmngr, but there are no buttons on the indigo screen to control the device. I've also tried a few others just to experiment, but I can't seem to get the plugin to send the right data like I could in RFXmngr

Posted on
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 pm
Scotfree offline

I’m in exactly the same position - new to it and a little lost. Just received a Rfxtfx433e and managed to flash it and pair it with a Dooya curtain motor and can control it fine with RfxMngr but how to send the commands from Indigo ?

When a new ‘blinds remote’ device is created, is the ‘Module Address’ in the config the same as the random ID that is used to pair the motor with the Rfxtfx433e ? If so, where does the unit code get entered ? Does the plugin have to support each and every manufacturer or can I send custom open/close/stop commands ?

Posted on
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 am
agame offline

And same situation here.

I had Motolux blinds working on Vera /rfxtrx, and was hoping to operate them natively through Indigo/rfxtrx.

The Vera RFX/TRX plugin has an 'autocreate' feature whereby a device would automatically be created if the protocol was detected. I'm currently roadblocked with the Indigo implementation....assume I need to head back to Vera for handling RFX/TRX unless I have one of the very limited range of devices with Indigo configurations.

Or am I (hopefully) missing something?

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm
az138 offline

I was able to get my blinds automated using openhab and the rfxcom plugin. Has anyone found any hooks from indigo into openhab?

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 am
agame offline

I remain stumped on how to make practical use of the. RFXTRX device in Indigo. My grasp from the lack of response to the three very similar queries above is that the Indigo plugin for RFXCOM is hard-coded to just a very small subset of supported devices, with no capacity to 'learn-in' new devices that are supported by the RFXTRX itself.

On Vera, from which I'm in the final stages of migration, RFXTRX worked fine with a range of Oregon Scientific weather sensors and Motolux blinds.

I'm about to dig out the old Vera and continue using that for RFXCOM.... that will certainly work for the blinds but will be tedious getting the sensor values back to indigo.

...one surprising thing has happened, which is that a list of 'ghost devices' representing all the devices I'm wanting to use has appeared on my device list. Presumably auto-created by the plugin as detected devices are reported by RFCOM API. It seems so close to being a useful plugin....

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

agame wrote:
I remain stumped on how to make practical use of the. RFXTRX device in Indigo. My grasp from the lack of response to the three very similar queries above is that the Indigo plugin for RFXCOM is hard-coded to just a very small subset of supported devices, with no capacity to 'learn-in' new devices that are supported by the RFXTRX itself.

The plugin does need to be updated with new protocols that are added to the RFXtrx and RFXCOM hasn't done that. We're looking for another 3rd party developer that might be interested in taking it over from it's previous developer. If any of the developers out there are interested contact us and we'll put you in touch with RFXCOM directly.

agame wrote:
...one surprising thing has happened, which is that a list of 'ghost devices' representing all the devices I'm wanting to use has appeared on my device list. Presumably auto-created by the plugin as detected devices are reported by RFCOM API.

I don't believe the plugin does that - one of my biggest complaints with the plugin is they way it doesn't handle devices it knows about and how you have to add them in Indigo by remembering the node number. When you create a new device and select a device type (any device type, any plugin) the device is immediately saved at that point. If you've done that several times then that might account for devices that aren't fully configured.

agame wrote:
It seems so close to being a useful plugin....

Well, for many of us, it is a useful plugin as it stands. Just because it doesn't support the protocols you need doesn't make is useless... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:54 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
I don't believe the plugin does that - one of my biggest complaints with the plugin is they way it doesn't handle devices it knows about and how you have to add them in Indigo by remembering the node number. When you create a new device and select a device type (any device type, any plugin) the device is immediately saved at that point. If you've done that several times then that might account for devices that aren't fully configured.

In my opinion I rather it worked this way rather than auto created devices.. my neighbours either side of me have devices that often show up in my logs.. I’d hate for it to automatically create these in my indigo DB.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:41 pm
agame offline

ok so I'm a bit harsh, if you are lucky enough to be using one of the limited range of devices implemented in the plugin, it certainly does work, and with none of the serial port configuration pain of Vera. I actually have another one working OK with SOMFY Venetians at a different site. However that one I'm contemplating taking back to vera also, in order to support some other sensors. :evil:

on auto-discovery of devices: agree having devices appear at random is sometimes annoying (esp if in range neighbours) but this behaviour could be toggled on&off. The feature is amazingly useful if you have no idea what protocol a device is using and just want to see if the RFXTRX can decode it. (or if you find watching your neighbour's temperature intriguing :shock: Thats how I inadvertently discovered my officially unsupported Australian roman blind controller brand was actually OEMing a European A-OK blind controller.

I'm eagerly awaiting arrival of an RF Player. will be intrigued if I have more joy there!!
Last edited by agame on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
In my opinion I rather it worked this way rather than auto created devices.. my neighbours either side of me have devices that often show up in my logs.. I’d hate for it to automatically create these in my indigo DB.

Not at all what I want. Rather, the plugin knows what devices don't yet have corresponding Indigo devices. The behavior I'd prefer is to open a new device dialog and be presented with a list of available devices (including what they are if that's discoverable). Similar to how the Z-Wave plugin works.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm
agame offline

yes, that would be perfect!

Posted on
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 am
durosity offline

Ah yes that makes sense!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm
RJdeKok offline

I implemented BlindsT2 and BlindsT3 in the RFXCOM library (V2.1.3).
0x02 = BlindsT2 = A-OK RF01
0x03 = BlindsT3 = A-OK AC114/AC123/Motorlux

The updated Plugin is available on the plugin store.
Don't forget to make a backup of your actual plugin before you update.
I think it's all OK but it's some time ago I did something on the plugin. So feedback is appreciated.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:47 am
Coolcaper offline

Scotfree wrote:
I’m in exactly the same position - new to it and a little lost. Just received a Rfxtfx433e and managed to flash it and pair it with a Dooya curtain motor and can control it fine with RfxMngr but how to send the commands from Indigo ?

When a new ‘blinds remote’ device is created, is the ‘Module Address’ in the config the same as the random ID that is used to pair the motor with the Rfxtfx433e ? If so, where does the unit code get entered ? Does the plugin have to support each and every manufacturer or can I send custom open/close/stop commands ?

I've just got one of these as well...as far as I can see, this motor is still not supported by the plugin? Any chance this can be done?