Apple Deletes Friends May 2023, Changes from version 1.5.1+

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2023 7:32 pm
GlennNZ offline

Apple Deletes Friends May 2023, Changes from version 1.5.1+

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

From Version 1.5.1 onwards
Apple has big server changes which this is a response to.
Apple has removed support for ALL 'Friend' devices, and accessing friends info, except through ipad/iphones

What does this mean?
It means we can no longer access Friend data in any fashion.
I suspect this is permanent, the web lost access a year or so ago, whilst the web link remained and gave data - that has now gone.

We however continue to access Family and Own Device data (every family device, and every personal device)

This means you may need to change your signed in account - from indigo (with friends) to main apple account with family members/own devices.

I suspect most usage is within Family groups,
Which this new release continues to support.

1. Update plugin login to main apple account with 2FA as needed
2. Go into current iFriendDevice Edit
I would go into current iFriendDevice devices (which will be offline and fail to work) and press the Edit button,
& Go to Model: Menu
Change the Model to FindFriends Family Device.
Select the correct Family iOS Device (and here are all devices from all family, including the logged account) from the popup.
Save and exit.

All current triggers, map images will continue to function. (and if updates may be able to change back)

Questions
The devices available only seems to be the Indigo service & iPad which are on the same account. I'm unsure how I can add my iPhone to this list. Are you able to assist with this?

In this case - it is because we can no longer access any friend data.
You will need to re-login to the plugin with you main apple account (using 2FA as needed), in this case all Family devices and your own devices will be selectable, as above.

I believe this change to deleting friends access is permanent and unlikely to be changed by apple - however there are ongoing discussions to see if any fixes may be apparent.
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sun May 21, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2023 7:39 pm
Eagleye offline

Re: Apple Deletes Friends May 2023, Changes from version 1.5

Thanks Glenn, this is how I over came the device issue, but what about the State reading for the device which is now showing "DevSummary" rather than "Address", is this something that can be fixed?

Posted on
Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

It just uses a different default for the state value, as address has been also deleted.

The address is the only state that was deleted by apple. Also removes the location 'tag' you could set in Find My app which would display this tag instead of address.

I did manually construct a address using free online mapping in a later version (latest = 1.5.8) - which is given in the custom states, including breakdown for suburb, country etc. Its summary is not quite as short so didn't feel it should be the 'main displayed state' as such.

Where are you using the statevalue? A custom state or the address-line summary can be used in Control pages instead.

Thanks

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 am
Eagleye offline

Glenn,

I just want the address to show in the State column under the device in Indigo like before (See attached screenshot). The address still appears in the Custom Status below.

I'm using the address values in conditions within triggers & Schedules.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.19.38 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.19.38 pm.png (118.67 KiB) Viewed 2771 times

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2023 2:36 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Ok - thats is a very reasonable request. Now that the address should work I’ll look at changing back.

Although do wonder whether this is the best approach.

The FindFriends Geofence device is created for this sort of triggering and conditioning.

The address given in the raw device data will depend on where apple thinks you device is. (similar to the blue circle given in the Find My app). This can vary quite a lot dependency on the ‘lock’ - and the address can be out by quite a bit. It will also change somewhat depending on accuracy not necessarily with movement of the device.

The FindFriends Geofence device is a GPS location and radius - which will list devices within (total number) and trigger on enter and exit conditions. It also lists all devices within for use in conditions/triggers.
This checks carefully whether the accuracy is such that a device has truly left the geofence or just has.a very wide circle of location before triggering.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue May 23, 2023 1:47 am
Eagleye offline

Thanks Glenn, I will play around with it to see if I can get it to trigger events within the house when I'm not there.

Page 1 of 1