Honeywell Total Connect 2 Security Plugin — Information

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm
gregss offline

Honeywell Total Connect 2 Security Plugin — Information

About the Honeywell TC2 Security Plugin
This plugin adds support for interfacing with Honeywell security panels connected via the Total Connect 2 monitoring service, such as the Honeywell Lyric security panel. Because of the way that Honeywell's service and APIs are set up, this plugin polls for status periodically — the default is every 10 minutes, but this can be configured in the plugin settings.

The plugin adds a new Alarm Keypad device type, which will take on any of the following states:
  • Disarmed
  • Armed-Away
  • Armed-Stay
  • Armed-Night
  • Arming (temporarily, while arming — the plugin will re-check status every 30 seconds during this time)
  • Disarming (temporarily, while disarming — the plugin will re-check status every 30 seconds during this time)

The Alarm Keypad device also has states for tracking a binary arming status (isArmed), and whether zones were bypassed (isBypass). You can set up triggers for state changes to detect changes in status. There are several actions for an Alarm Keypad to arm (using any supported arming type) or disarm the panel, as well as to force a status update.

Installation Requirements
The following are required for the plugin to work correctly:
  • You must be running macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or newer. This is required, because earlier versions of macOS don't support TLS version 1.1/1.2 connections in the versions of Python and OpenSSL installed by the operating system. Honeywell requires newer TLS security standards when connecting to Total Connect 2. NOTE: It is recommended that you carefully review the High Sierra compatibility announcements before upgrading. Indigo runs fine for me under 10.13.1, but install at your own risk, and only with a backup.
  • You must be running Indigo version 7 or newer, which is required to take advantage of the newer Python version.
  • You must install the deep Python library (see below).

To install Zeep:
  1. Open Terminal.
  2. Type the following, followed by Enter:
    Code: Select all
    sudo easy_install zeep
  3. Type your password, then Enter.
The installation will complete automatically.

Download
The latest version of the plugin can be downloaded from GitHub. Click on Clone or download on the right side, then Download ZIP.
If you'd like to be emailed when the plugin is updated, please subscribe to this topic.

Installation and Set-Up
Install and configure the plugin
  1. Download the plugin from the link above, and un-zip the archive if necessary.
  2. Double-click on the Honeywell TC2 Security.indigoPlugin file, Indigo should launch and ask if you'd like it to install the plugin.
  3. The plugin's config screen should pop up.
    Config.png
    Config.png (29.44 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
  4. Type your Total Connect user name in Web access user name. It is recommended that you create a new Standard user for Indigo's exclusive use. This user must have access to your panel, with a user code assigned and synchronized. See instructions here.
  5. Type your Total Connect password in Web access password.
  6. Click Save.
Create an Alarm Keypad
  1. Create one Alarm Keypad device. This device tracks the arming status of your physical security panel. It's also the device you use to arm/disarm the alarm.
    New Alarm Keypad.png
    New Alarm Keypad.png (40.41 KiB) Viewed 7858 times
  2. Configure the keypad by selecting the Total Connect location corresponding to your primary security panel.
    Configure Alarm Keypad.png
    Configure Alarm Keypad.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 7858 times

Usage
If you'd like Indigo to detect changes to the security panel status more quickly, you should not repeatedly use the Update Status action. This may result in Honeywell restricting your access. Rather, set up notifications sent to an email address that Indigo can check for updates — I run mine every minute. Then, set up triggers when emails are received with any of these in the subject line:
  • Armed Away
  • Armed Custom
  • Armed Stay
  • Disarmed
Then, issue an Update Status action to any panel(s) connected.

You can establish triggers based on changes to a keypad state.

Also, you can set up arm/disarm actions.

Credits
Many thanks to Craig J. Ward, whose Python-based Total Connect Client for another automation system was the initial inspiration and basis for this plugin.

Posted on
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm
mssearch offline

Re: Honeywell Total Connect 2 Security Plugin — Information

Hey, this is really cool. I've been spending ages looking for my HomeAutomation Holy Grail and as a part of that search I recently ordered a Honeywell Lyric Controller since they officially announced HomeKit support which may finally allow me to get a few of my desired setups working reliably.

Of course once I replace my Vista 20P with the Lyric I was thinking I'd be stuck without anything in Indigo but maybe that isn't the case now? Curious what your setup looks like and how TotalConnect fits into your overall home automation setup. Also wondering if you made any attempts to create a local connection? Not sure if you also have the Lyric Controller as but from what I can see their app allows local connection as well.

Thanks for putting the time into creating something to share with the community! I look forward to checking it out once my Lyric arrives and I get everything configured for TotalConnect. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:49 pm
gregss offline

@mssearch, sorry for the delay in responding to you. I was away on vacation and missed this message. :shock:

I have a Honeywell Lyric Security Controller with a second LKP500 keypad, along with numerous sensors. I've also got one smart lock that is interfaced with the panel. At some point in the future, I might extend the plug-in to offer support for lock status and locking/unlocking... I was excited about the announced HomeKit support and the touch screen — it looks like a very future-proof system. While I hear that Honeywell just recently released the firmware update that adds HomeKit support, I haven't gotten to play around with this yet.

The rest of my house is purely INSTEON, with quite an extensive footprint in terms of number of devices.

We moved from a house where I had installed a DSC control panel. I used Travis’s fantastic DSC Alarm Plugin with the Envisalink interface. I really liked how that enabled real-time connectivity with the panel, including motion sensors, which I used to help extend my home automation via Indigo triggers.

It would be interesting to connect directly with the panel, but I haven't found any documentation for how to do so. If you find any and are able to pass it along, I could take a look at this, because I'd certainly be interested in getting back the real-time motion sensor capability I had in our previous residence!

Once you get your system up and running, please let me know how it's working.

Posted on
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 am
mssearch offline

Everyone deserves a good vacation so hope you had a good time away! I'm actually out of state my self for a couple more days so haven't had a chance to get all my new Lyric gear installed.

I've done a fair amount of searching for any documentation and haven't seen anything official come out. I'm pretty confident it has some type of API that is network accessible because Honeywell offers the My Home Controller App that works only on your local Wifi network. I'm certainly no expert in this area but figure it may be possible to use Wireshark to sniff out what's going on behind the scenes with that app since it's local connectivity only. I'd even reason to believe (although it's only a guess) that their local API bares some resemblance to their API for TotalConnect for the sake of easier management and extensibility.

How do you like your Lyric setup overall as compared to your previous DSC setup. Do the benefits outweigh the loss of functionality with the indigo integration?

Will look forward to getting this all set up upon my return home!

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 am
gregss offline

I’ve been very happy with the Lyric and don’t have any regrets. It’s a nice system.

I only had a couple of rules in our old Indigo/DSC set up that interacted with the security sensors, like a rule to shut off lights if no motion was detected. Now we just turn off the lights the old-fashioned way. :)

The rule I wanted most to implement was one that shuts off all the lights once the security system is armed. With the plugin and some email integration rules, that was easily handled with the Lyric.

Posted on
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 pm
towsled offline

I utilize a Lynx touch panel as well as the TC2 app. I was excited to see this plugin so I decided to try and install tonight. Everything went smoothly but when I get to setting up the device and it prompts for a location, no items are listed. I have gone back into TC2 and set up a new user, set a code and synced the users/panel to no avail. Tried admin user and standard user with my master password as well as a new password tied to a new user. Any assistance on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:06 pm
gregss offline

Towsled,

I'm sorry you're having issues. Would you please send a screen shot of your Total Connect app's locations, like that below?
[img]TC2%20Locations.jpg[/img]

Also, can you send a screen shot of what displays in the plugin? I sent you a direct message with my email address, in case you'd prefer to send these directly rather than posting.

-Greg
Attachments
TC2 Locations.jpg
TC2 Locations.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 7437 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:04 pm
towsled offline

Hi Greg - I was gathering the screenshots to send to you and now when I setup the device in Indigo 7, I see "Location #1" where I previously (last night) had not seen anything in the Locations list. I selected it and everything seems to be working now. Maybe there is a significant lag in the users panel sync as I had not played with it at all today and the last time I tried to sync was 8pm last evening?

Very excited to get this working!
Dan..

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm
gregss offline

Dan,

That's very strange, as it should pull down a refreshed list of locations every time the plugin starts. If any other users are having difficulty with that, I'd be interested to know. In any case, I'm glad you got it working…let me know how it goes once you get everything set up!

-Greg

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 pm
towsled offline

Thanks Greg - Something still seems to be wrong. The device is setup and showing unarmed (the panel is unarmed). To test things I built a quick scheduled action which would arm the panel at 6pm. It seems that the API communication is not occurring correctly in my case as the panel did not arm. I attached the event log below. It looks like several lines errored. Any ideas? Happy to assist troubleshooting as needed.

Thanks again for the help,
Dan..
Attachments
HW Grab.jpeg
HW Grab.jpeg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 7399 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:17 pm
towsled offline

Thought is would also be helpful to include the device setup page (attached). I noticed that the "Address" line shows "Undefined". Not sure if that is an issue or not.
Attachments
HW Grab 2.jpeg
HW Grab 2.jpeg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 7397 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:24 pm
towsled offline

One last item.. I armed the system at the panel and the state in Indigo DID change to "Armed-Stay" so the inbound communication from the panel seems to be working but he push actions from Indigo are not.

Thanks,
Dan..

Posted on
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm
gregss offline

Dan,

towsled wrote:
To test things I built a quick scheduled action which would arm the panel at 6pm.

It's a bit odd that the plugin would be able to communicate with Total Connect to retrieve the status, but that it wouldn't be able to arm. I believe where it's getting hung up is in passing the location (a.k.a. security panel) information to the Total Connect API.

Could you post an image of your action configuration for me, as well?

Thanks,
-Greg

Posted on
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:38 pm
towsled offline

Hi Greg. Here you go.
Attachments
Action Page.jpeg
Action Page.jpeg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm
towsled offline

Hi Greg - One additional piece of information that may be helpful. I tested arming and disarming the panel remotely via the TC2 app as well as via the online website and both work just fine. Seems something is not right between Indigo and the Honeywell API.

Thanks,
Dan..