ZWave Watcher

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:31 am
howartp offline

ZWave Watcher

Introducing the ZWave Watcher plugin

This is an Indigo 7 plugin that I've written to aid debugging of new ZWave devices on the market. When dealing with ZWave command queries, the builtin method for debugging them is to turn on ZWave Debugging (Interfaces > .ZWave > Configure > Show debugging... but this fills the logs with tonnes of ZWave traffic for every node in your system.

This plugin allows you to choose which node(s) you want to watch/debug, then only logs the incoming and outgoing ZWave commands for those specific node(s).

This should help myself and Matt (Support) to help you with your question, but it will also help you start to do your own digging.

For those wanting to jump straight in, the latest download link is always at the bottom of this post.

Current Features
  • Provides a "Zwave Watcher" device type which you point at each ZWave node you want to monitor
  • Logs all incoming and outgoing ZWave commands for those nodes.
  • Disabling the watcher node's communication will stop it from logging without having to delete and recreate the node
  • If no watcher nodes are active, the plugin will sit there silently in the background doing nothing until you next want to debug anything

Installation notes
This plugin creates a 'dummy' device type called Z-Wave Watcher > ZWave Watcher.

You should create a dummy device to represent each node you are monitoring. The 'edit device' dialog box will display a list of all ZWave devices on your network - just pick the one you want to monitor and hit OK. Multiple devices can be created to monitor multiple nodes at once.

Known issues
  • None

Download link - v1.0.4

ZWaveWatcher.IndigoPlugin

Those who have seen me around the forums will know I usually participate in the forums at least daily if not several times; however please be aware this is usually from my iPhone when I'm away from my desk. I will endeavour to support this plugin as quickly as possible, but (as with everyone) I have busy periods of the year when I'm simply not at my desk long enough to do all I'd like to, including fixing or updating plugin code, even if you see me actively responding to other threads.

Enjoy!

Peter

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 pm
howartp offline

Re: ZWave Watcher

I've just posted 1.0.4

Most of you will notice very little difference but the tweaked log output will help myself and Matt/Jay when dealing with devices with multiple endpoints.

Page 1 of 1