Cynical SecuritySpy: Integrate SecuritySpy with Indigo

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:47 pm
mikejandreau offline

Re: Cynical SecuritySpy: Integrate SecuritySpy with Indigo

I upgraded to SecuritySpy 4.0 and 2.0.0 of the SecuritySpy plugin for Indigo, but none of my "Motion Detected" Triggers seem to be working.

Here's an example of one that's incredibly simple: http://take.ms/NJkZi

No Conditions, just a Pushover Action in Indigo.

The Camera in question is armed for "Actions" with "Armed all the time", but even when I walk in front of that camera, Indigo doesn't detect any motion at all.

The Camera itself is detecting the motion, because the M turns red, but the Indigo Trigger never happens.

This is the same for all 3 of my Indigo/SecuritySpy Triggers since the upgrade. Am I missing something? Does the camera in SecuritySpy have to be armed a different way, or do my Triggers need to change somehow?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:43 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

mikejandreau wrote:
I upgraded to SecuritySpy 4.0 and 2.0.0 of the SecuritySpy plugin for Indigo, but none of my "Motion Detected" Triggers seem to be working.

Hm... "works for me." Ahem.

The intent is that if you're using SecuritySpy 4, then "active" means "motion detect enabled", and everything works the way it used to. It certainly does on the SecuritySpy beta I've got sitting on my computer here. (I haven't upgraded for real yet.)
Here's an example of one that's incredibly simple: http://take.ms/NJkZi

That looks right. Remember this will only fire at most every 10 seconds, but you should see it fire at least once. From what you're saying, you're not doing anything wrong.

Turn on verbose logging in the Cynical SecuritySpy config window and enter into the text field below (you may need to scroll): spy.core. Then jump up and down in front of your camera and send me the Indigo log. :-)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56 am
mikejandreau offline

Hey Perry,

No dice. It didn't log anything at all.

Did I set up the debug logging right?

The log captured my motion sensors of me going downstairs, but nothing in front of the camera:

Jul 8, 2016, 8:51:57 AM
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging enabled

Jul 8, 2016, 8:52:16 AM
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging module: spy.core
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Up" on (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Down" on (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Kitchen Entrance" on (button 1)

Jul 8, 2016, 8:54:02 AM
Received INSTEON "Kitchen Entrance" off (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Down" off (button 1)
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging disabled

Did I miss something, or perhaps setup the debugging incorrectly?

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:48 am
Perry The Cynic offline

mikejandreau wrote:
Hey Perry,

No dice. It didn't log anything at all.

Did I set up the debug logging right?

The log captured my motion sensors of me going downstairs, but nothing in front of the camera:

Jul 8, 2016, 8:51:57 AM
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging enabled

Jul 8, 2016, 8:52:16 AM
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging module: spy.core
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Up" on (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Down" on (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Kitchen Entrance" on (button 1)

Jul 8, 2016, 8:54:02 AM
Received INSTEON "Kitchen Entrance" off (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Stairs - Down" off (button 1)
Cynical SecuritySpy debugging disabled

Did I miss something, or perhaps setup the debugging incorrectly?

The "debugging module: spy.core" message indicates that your change was accepted. Did you try reloading the plugin?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:58 pm
mikejandreau offline

Aha! Reloading the plugin was the step I missed.

Even though I upgraded to 2.0.0, it just needed to be reloaded.

I did that just now in trying to debug again and now it's working.

Thanks Perry!

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:37 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Perry, I'm running the following, all on a single MacMini, and never get past a status for the SS server device of "preparing" for a while, after which it switches to "unavailable."

Apparently during my many attempts to get it configured correctly, it at some point saw one of the cameras because one (properly named) camera is populated as well; its status mimics that of the SS server device.

OS X El Capitan 10.11.16
Indigo 6.1.10
SecuritySpy 4.0.4
Cynical SS Plugin 2.1.0

The attached images show my config and I've been sure to reload the plugin after any change. Any thoughts?
Attachments
ss-server-device-settings.png
ss-server-device-settings.png (110.13 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
ss-pref.png
ss-pref.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:34 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

ChopOMatic wrote:
Perry, I'm running the following, all on a single MacMini, and never get past a status for the SS server device of "preparing" for a while, after which it switches to "unavailable."

In the Cynical SecuritySpy settings window, check the Debug checkbox and in the text line below, enter spy.core,asyn.http. Reload the plugin and send me the resulting Indigo log.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:46 am
jfeger offline

Great plugin, I've been using it for about 9 months now. Is the consensus that the plugin in its current form works as expected with SecuritySpy 4.0.4? Im not convinced I see features justifying the need to pay for the upgrade, but I do like to stay current if possible.

Posted on
Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 pm
Swancoat offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Another thing to note that the plugin uses is the Active/Passive is no longer there in lieu of giving more granular control over motion sensing and microphones. I'm on the fence about upgrading at the moment because I rely on those states.

The active/passive state is very much still there; it's just now called "Motion Capture" state. The UI has changed, but not the underlying functionality, and Cynical SecuritySpy version 4 just maps it (nothing changes in the plug-in).

Its my understanding that if you have a working setup with SecuritySpy 3 and Cynical SecuritySpy and upgrade to SS 4, then (if it still supports your cameras) it should work exactly as before. Of course, I've got about two hours of experience on that, right now.

Having said that, I totally understand sitting on the fence for a while. SecuritySpy 3 will work (and be supported) just fine. I hope.

Cheers
-- perry

Hey Perry, any plans to add the ability to control the 'action' status of the cameras? This more granular control from security spy suits me well, as I had my front door recording motion and emailing me a photo when it detected motion. Using your plugin I would shut that off whenever the alarm was disarmed (so I wouldn't get all these photos emailed to me when I was sitting at home).

However... now the plugin only disables the motion recording (which I'd gladly leave running all the time) and can't control the 'action' part (so it's either a bunch of emails while I'm home, or none at all for me).

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 am
Perry The Cynic offline

Swancoat wrote:
Hey Perry, any plans to add the ability to control the 'action' status of the cameras? This more granular control from security spy suits me well, as I had my front door recording motion and emailing me a photo when it detected motion. Using your plugin I would shut that off whenever the alarm was disarmed (so I wouldn't get all these photos emailed to me when I was sitting at home).

However... now the plugin only disables the motion recording (which I'd gladly leave running all the time) and can't control the 'action' part (so it's either a bunch of emails while I'm home, or none at all for me).

It's on my list, but don't hold your breath...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:31 am
wmldwilly offline

Okay I wasn't holding my breath. But I'm about to start... :)

I've found SecuritySpy 4.x to indeed run much snappier and cleaner on it's host machine. I've got a fairly slick home monitoring thing going on, and sure enough - that inability to deal with this new somewhat split personality for "record when there's motion" or "don't record when there's not" has bitten me in the posterior.

I'm sheepishly asking Mr. Perry...any chance you've had a sec to look into that? :lol:

WM :mrgreen:

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 am
roquej offline

Until Perry is able to update the plugin, I am using Action Groups with Python code to handle the new Actions option:

Disclaimer, I am far from a python programmer...

ARM ACTION:
import requests

username = 'INDIGO USERNAME'
password = 'INDIGO PASSWORD'

login_url = 'INDIGO URL:8000/++ssControlActions'
payload = (
('cameraNum', 1),
('arm', 1),
)
r = requests.get(login_url, params=payload, auth=(username, password))

For DISARM ACTION, just change arm=0 above. Of course, change the cameraNum to your particular setup.

Hope this helps.

JP

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 am
citysnaps offline

Swancoat wrote:
Perry The Cynic wrote:
Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Another thing to note that the plugin uses is the Active/Passive is no longer there in lieu of giving more granular control over motion sensing and microphones. I'm on the fence about upgrading at the moment because I rely on those states.

The active/passive state is very much still there; it's just now called "Motion Capture" state. The UI has changed, but not the underlying functionality, and Cynical SecuritySpy version 4 just maps it (nothing changes in the plug-in).

Its my understanding that if you have a working setup with SecuritySpy 3 and Cynical SecuritySpy and upgrade to SS 4, then (if it still supports your cameras) it should work exactly as before. Of course, I've got about two hours of experience on that, right now.

Having said that, I totally understand sitting on the fence for a while. SecuritySpy 3 will work (and be supported) just fine. I hope.

Cheers
-- perry

In the mean time, to deal with your emails...

Have you considered letting Indigo handle that? Cynical SecuritySpy can send a camera motion event to Indigo, which can then trigger sending an email based on the value of an "away" variable.

I'm doing essentially that, except my trigger action sends me an iMessage with a photo from the motion-triggered camera.

Brad
Urban photoblog: www.citysnaps.net

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:39 pm
Swancoat offline

citysnaps wrote:
Swancoat wrote:
Perry The Cynic wrote:
Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Cheers
-- perry

In the mean time, to deal with your emails...

Have you considered letting Indigo handle that? Cynical SecuritySpy can send a camera motion event to Indigo, which can then trigger sending an email based on the value of an "away" variable.

I'm doing essentially that, except my trigger action sends me an iMessage with a photo from the motion-triggered camera.

The emails from SecuritySpy include a photo.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:06 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

By a totally not coincidental coincidence, I just released version 2.2.0, with support for SecuritySpy 4 arm states. The documentation has been updated to match.

Cheers
-- perry