Are PTZ cameras worth the cost?

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:27 am
Professor Falken offline

Are PTZ cameras worth the cost?

I am thinking about adding some outdoor security cameras to my Indigo setup, likely managed by Security Spy and Perry's plug in, and wanted to get some advice on setup and camera selection.

My first question concerns the usefulness of pan/tilt/zoom cameras. Obviously these are a bit more expensive, and add additional components to break over time. I was wondering if users had opinions on this feature. I am picturing, say a front yard camera that picks up motion on my front path tracking with the motion right up to the front door. But is that even possible (or advisable) using Security Spy and/or the plugin? Perhaps it's better to just select a decent (and less expensive) wide angle camera?

Posted on
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 am
CliveS offline

Re: Are PTZ cameras worth the cost?

I bought a Hikvision DS-2DE4220IW-DE 2MP HD 1080P 20X Zoom CCTV HD External IP PTZ POE and I never use the PTZ, nice idea but for the price I paid I could (should) have bought 4 x HIKVISION DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP PoE WDR Mini Bullet Network IP Camera 4MM, it would have given better coverage without the panning and double the resolution (and as I have both the above I can see the difference).
The zoom is a nice feature but can it be activated via security spy because low price PTZ cameras do not auto latch onto moving objects, it is manual or preset action only.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 pm
mundmc offline

I only use PTZ cameras inside, and purely so I can have Indigo turn them to face the wall/ ceiling when we are home. Outside, it’s cheaper to buy multiple cameras than a PTZ- that covers my use cases. I’m using 4 Amcrest PTZ inside, 4 Amcrest outside. All are PoE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 am
Different Computers offline

In my particular setup, they're only worthwhile if they have some sort of URL control for the PTZ. (And it's documented somewhere! I mention this because in theory I have such a Foscam camera, but can't find the actual url documentation anywhere.)

But then I don't use SecuritySpy or similar, and rely on Indigo actions to do any camera action.

Also, you might want to look at the Security Camera plugin, if you haven't already purchased SecuritySpy.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1