PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 am
spiv offline

PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Just in case anyone is considering adding some additional cameras, Insteon is dumping the older standard definition (640 x 480) IP Camera for $20 plus $6 shipping.

The 75790WH has Ethernet and Wi-Fi (regular, not the newer 802.11ac), motorized remote pan, tilt, zoom (PTZ), and infra-red with an automatic light sensor.

It is still selling on their own website and Amazon for over $50.

Be aware that Insteon no longer provides any manufacturer support for this product. It does work directly with the Insteon Hub (the non-HomeKit hub that works with Alexa), and does not work with newer HomeKit Hub Pro (which is also a really bad hub).

The camera is actually made by Foscam, so standard Foscam drivers will work.

I was able to easily integrate it into SecuritySpy using the Foscam MJPEG profile.

The camera does NOT support ONVIF, and does not have built-in hardware H.264 support and does not support RTP protocol, so be aware of those performance and software integration limitations.

They do have a basic embedded web browser, so you can play with them without any special software drivers or configuration, but you MUST configure it first with a hard wired Ethernet connection (to at least set the Wi-Fi parameters) because they do not have the new-style "virtual Wi-Fi AP" or a bluetooth link that many new products use for easier initial setup. The embedded web server does have the usual IP camera FTP upload-type options, but I've never bothered to use any of those as I use SecuritySpy servers.

There are mixed reviews on these cameras on the 'net, but most people are reasonably happy with them for what they are.

I wouldn't advise using them for critical use, but at this price they are fun to play with. I have one in my garage aimed at the garage doors, For ~$26, I now have a "visual garage door status indicator" that can confirm if the doors are open or closed.

I just ordered another one to put near my laser printer which is upstairs and far away from my primary home workspace. I will aim it at the paper trays so I can see if the paper is jammed or stuck without having to trek across the house and up the stairs. (Yeah, a "first world" problem, but for the price of a cheap lunch, why not?)

Oops - almost forgot: They are being sold on http://www.houzz.com which is a reviews/ecomerce site that is a cross between yelp for home remodels/decorating and amazon stores.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 12:09 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Got a direct link? No sign of them searching for "insteon camera" on houzz.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 1:54 pm
spiv offline

Re: PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

If you search on 75790WH I think it will take you to it.

Here's a link: https://www.houzz.com/photos/29130684/I ... rveillance

Page 1 of 1