PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 am
spiv offline

PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Just in case anyone is considering adding some additional cameras, Insteon is dumping the older standard definition (640 x 480) IP Camera for $20 plus $6 shipping.

The 75790WH has Ethernet and Wi-Fi (regular, not the newer 802.11ac), motorized remote pan, tilt, zoom (PTZ), and infra-red with an automatic light sensor.

It is still selling on their own website and Amazon for over $50.

Be aware that Insteon no longer provides any manufacturer support for this product. It does work directly with the Insteon Hub (the non-HomeKit hub that works with Alexa), and does not work with newer HomeKit Hub Pro (which is also a really bad hub).

The camera is actually made by Foscam, so standard Foscam drivers will work.

I was able to easily integrate it into SecuritySpy using the Foscam MJPEG profile.

The camera does NOT support ONVIF, and does not have built-in hardware H.264 support and does not support RTP protocol, so be aware of those performance and software integration limitations.

They do have a basic embedded web browser, so you can play with them without any special software drivers or configuration, but you MUST configure it first with a hard wired Ethernet connection (to at least set the Wi-Fi parameters) because they do not have the new-style "virtual Wi-Fi AP" or a bluetooth link that many new products use for easier initial setup. The embedded web server does have the usual IP camera FTP upload-type options, but I've never bothered to use any of those as I use SecuritySpy servers.

There are mixed reviews on these cameras on the 'net, but most people are reasonably happy with them for what they are.

I wouldn't advise using them for critical use, but at this price they are fun to play with. I have one in my garage aimed at the garage doors, For ~$26, I now have a "visual garage door status indicator" that can confirm if the doors are open or closed.

I just ordered another one to put near my laser printer which is upstairs and far away from my primary home workspace. I will aim it at the paper trays so I can see if the paper is jammed or stuck without having to trek across the house and up the stairs. (Yeah, a "first world" problem, but for the price of a cheap lunch, why not?)

Oops - almost forgot: They are being sold on http://www.houzz.com which is a reviews/ecomerce site that is a cross between yelp for home remodels/decorating and amazon stores.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 12:09 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

Got a direct link? No sign of them searching for "insteon camera" on houzz.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri May 12, 2017 1:54 pm
spiv offline

Re: PSA - Insteon is "dumping" older IP Cameras for $26

If you search on 75790WH I think it will take you to it.

Here's a link: https://www.houzz.com/photos/29130684/I ... rveillance

Page 1 of 1