Cynical Network and IFTTT Maker Channel

Posted on
Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:24 am
Different Computers offline

Cynical Network and IFTTT Maker Channel

Somehow this morning I got to reading in more detail about what the Cynical Network plugin does.

This is the relatively deep end for me, but after starting to read the docs, I immediately wondered if this was a way to get around the problem of IFTTT not being able to do digest authentication, so there's no way to have IFTTT talk to Indigo directly.

Right now I'm using the Better Email plugin as a kludge, where my damn old SmartThings talks to IFTTT, which sends a Gmail to an account that Better Email monitors. Much less than ideal!

But the IFTTT Maker channel allows it to make web requests, and I'm sure I can specify the port. So, could I in theory configure a Cynical Network TCPin device to listen for a web request and change a variable/trigger something in Indigo?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Re: Cynical Network and IFTTT Maker Channel

Anyone have any thoughts on OP's question? I'm very interested in it, as well.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:34 am
FlyingDiver offline

I'm assuming the real goal here is IFTTT compatibility, not SmartThings?

To work with IFTTT, you need a minimalist HTTP server. Implementing one with the Cynical Network plugin might be possible, but would be be very involved, requiring many triggers and action groups to get the plugin to respond correctly to the HTTP client (which is the IFTTT Maker Channel).

What you really need is a plugin that implements HTTP with triggers that fire on specifically formatted HTTP requests, right?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:30 am

In a perfect world, I would in fact be talking directly to the ST cloud. In particular, the GhostXML plugin looks able to give me interactive status of all ST devices. Problem is, it looks like I need to know Ruby and write an ST "SmartApp" to be able to do it with 0Auth, which is their only authentication method.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 am
FlyingDiver offline

Well, I can't help you with the SmartThings cloud, but I think I can put together something that will work with IFTTT fairly quickly.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 am

That would be awesome. My primary IFTTT issue is that as is, it can't talk TO Indigo because it won't do digest authentication. And for me, most of my ST legacy devices are sensors.

Using the Maker channel, I can make Indigo talk to IFTTT and from there to ST.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Joe, unlike Diff, my only concern is IFTTT working with Indigo. That will open up a TON of possibilities.

My first use would probably be to implement an Alexa-initiated "good night" routine. I have one now but it's dependent upon Tasker on my Android phone, which is far from an elegant solution. With the ability to have IFTTT trigger Indigo, the sky's the limit.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:04 pm
ChopOMatic offline

BTW, Joe, you probably already know this, but the new Maker channel on IFTTT is the magic behind what I'm trying to do.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Let's take this to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=17281

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1