Cynical Denon -- sequencing commands

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm
brianlloyd offline

Cynical Denon -- sequencing commands

I love the Cynical plug-ins. I am using most of them. Thanks!

But I am running into a sequencing problem with Cynical Denon right after turn-on. If I have just turned on my Denon AVR there is a dead period before the AVR will accept more commands, probably because it is busy booting up. I have been dealing with this by inserting fixed delays in my action groups that turn things on, but is there a way to determine if the AVR is already on or off so I can modify my scripts to delay or not delay (that is the question)? Actually I'd prefer to make my scripts asynchronous if possible.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:22 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Cynical Denon -- sequencing commands

brianlloyd wrote:
I love the Cynical plug-ins. I am using most of them. Thanks!

But I am running into a sequencing problem with Cynical Denon right after turn-on. If I have just turned on my Denon AVR there is a dead period before the AVR will accept more commands, probably because it is busy booting up. I have been dealing with this by inserting fixed delays in my action groups that turn things on, but is there a way to determine if the AVR is already on or off so I can modify my scripts to delay or not delay (that is the question)? Actually I'd prefer to make my scripts asynchronous if possible.

Thanks!

The main power state of a Cynical Denon receiver device is right there in its state state - it's either standby (off) or on. You can read that state or make triggers for changes to it in all the usual Indigo ways.

As you've discovered, a Denon takes a while to turn on (it needs to power up its amplifiers and stabilize them so they don't sound unprofessional :-)). During this period, the AVR device's state will be poweron to indicate that it's busy turning on; it will automatically switch to on when the AVR is done and ready for more commands. If you tell an AVR to turn on when it's already on, nothing happens at all (its state doesn't change, and there's no need to wait).

Note that this delay applies to the AVR as a whole, not to individual zones, so you have to watch the state of the main zone, not any secondary zones it may have.

And yes, this really is documented in the help page of the plugin. Try clicking on that little round question mark button some time, or just select "About Cynical Denon" from the plugin menu. :-)

Cheers
-- perry

Page 1 of 1