Is there a newbie guide to learning codes with Global Cache

Posted on
Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:57 pm
spiv offline

Is there a newbie guide to learning codes with Global Cache

Sorry if this seems obvious, but transitioning to using Global Cache for IR.

Is there an Indigo + Cynic Plugin newbie guide that step-by-step explains how to install/configure the plug-in and then use it to learn codes?

I know the GC has a learning mode capability instead of the normal mode of treating all three ports as IR emitters, but I am confused about the details of doing that.

Also on the hardware side of things, do I need to connect a special IR receiver to one of the ports, or is the receiving capability built-in and it solely a matter of software configuration and operating procedures?

Posted on
Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:24 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Is there a newbie guide to learning codes with Global Ca

What I have done for my own system is put my iTach right next to my desk when programming codes, there is an I/R eye right on that device that you can point your remotes to when you go into Indigo and tell Global Cache to learn the code. When doing this I typically have my remote about 2" or so away from the iTach. Now this is my own method, it may not be the best method nor the recommended one but it works for me. Fortunately I have a finite number of codes I want to "teach" Indigo so I rarely have to move my iTach to my desk except when I get a new I/R device I want Indigo to learn.

This is, more or less, how I do all my I/R learning across platforms as I use several solutions in addition to iTach's for I/R learning and repeating.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 am
ELWOOD offline

Re: Is there a newbie guide to learning codes with Global Ca

Also check out Global Cache's data base of infrared codes for hundreds of devices. You need to register with them (free) than you lookup your
device and then they send you the codes for it. Very fast and easy to use. If they don't have your device listed than you have to go through the
learning process using your remote.

http://irdb.globalcache.com

Elwood

Page 1 of 1