Cynical Cachet iTach IR receiver problem

Posted on
Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:59 pm
brianlloyd offline

Cynical Cachet iTach IR receiver problem

I got a couple of Global Caché iTach devices with IR blasters. I can talk to them using the Global software to configure them. I can receive IR strings and I can send IR strings using the Global Cachet software so I am pretty sure they are working properly.

I am able to create a Cynical Caché network device and then link an IR emitter to that network device. When I try to link an IR receiver, I am only presented with serial port options, not the network device I previously created.

Reading the doc for Cynical Caché I *THINK* I am doing the right thing, i.e. create the network device, create the IR emitter and link it to the network device, create the IR receiver and link it to the network device. It is failing on that last step.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

P.S. Using Cynical Behaviors and Cynical Denon. Both working great! Thank you!

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:09 am
howartp offline

Re: Cynical Cachet iTach IR receiver problem

I've got a GlobalCache GC100 downstairs and an iTach Wifi2IR upstairs.

I don't use IR Receivers, but testing out what you're asking, I can only attach an IR Receiver to the GC100 using the plugin - I get the GC100 and serial ports but not the iTach...

Not sure if it's a bug/design or if we're missing something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:34 am
brianlloyd offline

The iTach has a built-in IR receiver, primarily intended for capturing IR sequences. The way I read the Cynical Caché doc, I should be able to create the IR receiver using the internal IR receiver but it only offers me various serial ports when I attempt to create the IR receiver device. I hope to hear from Perry on this.

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 am
howartp offline

FYI, Perry comes and goes on the forum; he's around a while then disappears a while.

I notice in the plugin Config (Plugjns menu), I can set the IR learner to be the iTach but not the GC100.

Is there a difference between using a port for learning and using one for receiving? :-s

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:25 am
brianlloyd offline

Hmm, good point. Since they perform the same functionally I assumed they were the same implementation. I have my device declared to be a learner. Maybe it will work the way it is without ever having to create a corresponding IR receiver. If that is the case then I think that Perry's doc could use some clarification in this area. Regardless, Perry's doc is better than most.

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:26 am
howartp offline

Too right it is!

Posted on
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:09 pm
brianlloyd offline

OK, I finally figured it out. Yes, Perry's doc is confusing. Here is the sequence:

1. Connect the iTach to the network and configure it using Global Caché software to be an IR emitter.
  2. In Indigo load the Cynical Caché plugin.
  3. With the Cynical Caché plugin loaded and started, create a Cynical Caché network device for the iTach using it IP address or domain name. (All my devices are named in my local DNS and assigned fixed addresses with DHCP. That makes life simpler for configuring and debugging.)
  4. Now create a second "IR Emitter" Cynical Caché device specifying the aforementioned network device.

Now that you have the necessary devices you can create the IR "button press". Do the following for as many buttons as you need.

1. Create a new action group of type "Device Actions > Cynical Caché controls > Send IR signal".
  2. Select the correct IR emitter. (If you have more than one.)
  3. Select "Edit Action Settings".
  4. A new window "Configure Send IR Signal" will pop up.
  5. Point the remote at the iTach's IR receiver. Click the "learn" button and then quickly press the desired button on the remote.

Now I have just one more problem I need to get Perry to solve: repeat count seems to stop somewhere around 60 and that is not enough for one function I need to generate. I need to send an unbroken sequence for one button for 3 seconds. I tried "learning" a 3 second button press but got the same result.

That works for me. It took me awhile but just remember, I may be old but I make up for it by being slow. ;-)

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:05 pm
Swancoat offline

I'm not sure if I follow this last post as solving the problems outlined in the prior ones. I may have a reading comprehension issue.

That being said, I think when it comes to using itach devices as IR receivers, as far as I can tell (information on Global Caches's site) an IP2IR does have an IR receiver, but it's only really for learning codes. If you want true IR receiver duties, you need a GC-IRE plugged into a serial port. And that's why the only IR receivers that sho up are IP2SLs and GC-100s.

Do I have that right?

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:20 pm
brianlloyd offline

Different problem, Swancoat. You are looking for a way to receive IR control signals and I was looking for how to program the iTach to "learn" IR codes. I called it an "IR Receiver" but that is apparently not the case.

But after going to the effort to figure it out, I figured that others might want the short version that I came up with.

Page 1 of 1