New Plugin: Cynical Behaviors

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 am
Londonmark offline

Re: New Plugin: Cynical Behaviors

Hi Perry,

Two minor points:
- Is there any way to clear out the contents of the Inactivity watch? An action to do so would be very useful - that way it can nag me on a control page, but once I click a button, the nag goes away.
- I can't use the Switch Control because my sensors are not classified as sensors (they are treated as LightwaveRF switches). Any way of allowing a wider set of input devices for this behaviour?

Many thanks

Mark

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:04 am
Asconasny offline

Any chance the leak watch could include z-wave devices?

regards
Asconasny

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Is there a Z-Wave device you've tried that doesn't work or show up? If so, what specific model is it?

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:28 am
Asconasny offline

Fibaro flood sensor

http://www.fibaro.com/en/the-fibaro-system/flood-sensor

When i tested it nothing happened

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Outside of the Cynical Behaviors plugin is the that leak sensor working for you with Indigo? When define/syncing it, did it show up in Indigo as 3 devices: Leak, Tilt.Tamper, and Temperature?

Perry: the Fibaro Leak device in Indigo is defined as a standard on/off indigo.sensor device type, so it should work, correct?

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 am
Perry The Cynic offline

Shutter wrote:
Hi Perry,

When I use the Blinking Relay behaviour I get the following error: [...]

You found the first bug!

Fixed in 0.9.2. Thanks for reporting.
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 am
Perry The Cynic offline

matt (support) wrote:
Outside of the Cynical Behaviors plugin is the that leak sensor working for you with Indigo? When define/syncing it, did it show up in Indigo as 3 devices: Leak, Tilt.Tamper, and Temperature?

Perry: the Fibaro Leak device in Indigo is defined as a standard on/off indigo.sensor device type, so it should work, correct?

Nope. The Leak Watch device, right now, is totally specific to the INSTEON leak sensor. I wrote it to deal with the weird group 1/2/4 behavior of those devices, and the (at the time) lack of last-changed support for those state-less devices. That's why you don't have to tell it what devices you have. :-)

As I see it, a reliable leak watcher needs to do more than scream "leak!" It also needs to keep tabs on the devices and tell you when they stop reporting in regularly. How would I do that for regular sensor devices? Does Indigo now update the last-changed date for all device radio heartbeats, or was that specific to the INSTEON leak sensor device?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:51 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Londonmark wrote:
Hi Perry,

Two minor points:
- Is there any way to clear out the contents of the Inactivity watch? An action to do so would be very useful - that way it can nag me on a control page, but once I click a button, the nag goes away.

Not really. To make that work right, the device would have to keep lists of "cleared" devices with timestamps. You can use a value-changed trigger on the (device-id only) list state and only alert/update when the list changes, but of course that'll also fire when a device disappears from the list.

Sure would be nice if there was a "set last-changed to now on this device" function in Indigo. Having to track "my version of last-changed" properties is not great fun.
- I can't use the Switch Control because my sensors are not classified as sensors (they are treated as LightwaveRF switches). Any way of allowing a wider set of input devices for this behaviour?
Mark

The question is what it means for an arbitrary Indigo device to "show activity" (which is what Switch Control really cares about here). Sensors have a clear definition - an onOffState state that comes on. What kind of an Indigo device is a "LightwaveRF Switch", and what are you trying to do with it?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 pm
JohnS offline

Perry,
Is there anyway to suppress logging of the activity of the Relay Device that I use with your Blinking Relay plugin. It fills up the log file quickly.

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:10 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

haavarda wrote:
Hi Perry.
I have been going over your functional description of the garage controller, and I am a bit worried about the function that enables the door if it has stopped.
What if it is a good reason for that the door stopped? If a car is parked under the door, if a kid is playing there etc... Could it be possible to enable/ disable this functionality? Or add a function that only operates the door if second sensor is false? As I have a beam sensor that detects if there is something in the path of the door.

Even without the Garage Door device, you are relying on the built-in safety features of your garage door (force sensors, light beams, etc.) Any time you look away, walk away, or drive away while the door is closing, you are relying on your door's safety features already. Garage Door assumes that your door will reverse and re-open if it detects an obstacle in its closing path.

Garage Door adds some resilience to the door's built-in security, but it doesn't override any of it For obstacle detection, the worst-case scenario is that the door sensor will have to reverse the door three times instead of once. In exchange for this, you get fairly reliable recovery from single transient events (cat crossing, dirt flying, random button press on the remote). Then the device will give up and (optionally) alert you.

Also, without full-track supervision (a camera, or a continuous linear sensor track) it's impossible to operate the door with a single button press. So some level of retry is inherent in its operation; we're just haggling over how much. The current implementation compromises by using the minimum number of retries needed to start at an arbitrary position and recover from a single transient event. I think that's the right choice.

(And this may be as good a time as any to remind everyone that my plugins, including this one, come with absolutely no warranty of any kind and their use is entirely at your risk. See http://www.cynic.org/indigo/plugins/.)

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 pm
roquej offline

Perry,

This question was asked but not sure it was answered. Can you use AD2USB/alarm sensors for the garage door? I tried but the sensors don't show.

Thank you in advance.

JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

roquej wrote:
Perry,

This question was asked but not sure it was answered. Can you use AD2USB/alarm sensors for the garage door? I tried but the sensors don't show.

Thank you in advance.

JP

Right now, the door sensor must be an Indigo "sensor device" - that's what the Garage Door device is looking for. What kind of Indigo device is yours? (And, as a question to its plugin author, why isn't it a standard sensor when it's called "alarm sensor"? :-))

The work-around, should the need arise, is to create an Indigo Virtual On/Off Device, and use its sensor support, which involves assigning an Indigo variable and setting it using a trigger from your device. That obviously doesn't scale, but it's workable for a few.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm
Londonmark offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
Londonmark wrote:
Hi Perry,

Two minor points:

Not really. To make that work right, the device would have to keep lists of "cleared" devices with timestamps. You can use a value-changed trigger on the (device-id only) list state and only alert/update when the list changes, but of course that'll also fire when a device disappears from the list.

Sure would be nice if there was a "set last-changed to now on this device" function in Indigo. Having to track "my version of last-changed" properties is not great fun.
Mark

The question is what it means for an arbitrary Indigo device to "show activity" (which is what Switch Control really cares about here). Sensors have a clear definition - an onOffState state that comes on. What kind of an Indigo device is a "LightwaveRF Switch", and what are you trying to do with it?

Cheers
-- perry

They are PIRs - motion sensors. Somebody walks by, the device sends out a signal. That means they switch from an off state to an on state and then back to an off state after an interval.

Posted on
Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:57 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Londonmark wrote:
They are PIRs - motion sensors. Somebody walks by, the device sends out a signal. That means they switch from an off state to an on state and then back to an off state after an interval.

That's exactly what a (standard) Indigo sensor device is supposed to be. But it (well, the plug-in) also has to declare itself as a sensor for Indigo to see it as one (and to give it to Cynical Behaviors to use.

What plugin and device type specifically is this?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 am
Londonmark offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:

What plugin and device type specifically is this?

Cheers
-- perry

The plugin is RFXCOM and the device type is LightwaveRF switch.