Cynical Cache: Minor bug in gcnet.py

Posted on
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:04 pm
broadk offline

Cynical Cache: Minor bug in gcnet.py

Perry,

I've been trying out your Cache plugin and kept receiving the following error when sending a new IR signal to an iTach IP2IR-P:

File ".../Server Plugin/ir/gcache/gcnet.py", line 201, in _calldown
self.callout_error(DeviceError(code, self._errors[code]))
NameError: global name 'DeviceError' is not defined

This is caused by a minor issue with ir/gcache/gcnet.py where I needed to import both Error and DeviceError from core. The end result allowed me to see the following error when sending the IR signal:

Cynical Caché send <Symbol/generic:40000 [(96,24), (48,24), (24,24)... stuff ..., (24,24), (24,4006)]> to <IOM+ 1389031085=Office iTach Blaster (Amp/ATV/BlueRay)> repeating 0
Cynical Caché Error Office iTach unavailable: invalid pulse count
Cynical Caché Error Office iTach Blaster (Amp/ATV/BlueRay) unavailable: host device Office iTach is unavailable

I believe this error is a function a bad IR signal but thought you'd like to know about the bug.

On an unrelated note do you have any docs regarding your IR database? I'd like to centralise all IR signals across the house and this sounds like an ideal approach.

Thanks
kieran.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Cynical Cache: Minor bug in gcnet.py

I've been trying out your Cache plugin and kept receiving the following error when sending a new IR signal to an iTach IP2IR-P:

File ".../Server Plugin/ir/gcache/gcnet.py", line 201, in _calldown
self.callout_error(DeviceError(code, self._errors[code]))
NameError: global name 'DeviceError' is not defined

That part is fixed in 1.6.4 or 1.6.5. That was a typo in an error path that few people ever hit (including me in testing, apparently).
Cynical Caché send <Symbol/generic:40000 [(96,24), (48,24), (24,24)... stuff ..., (24,24), (24,4006)]> to <IOM+ 1389031085=Office iTach Blaster (Amp/ATV/BlueRay)> repeating 0
Cynical Caché Error Office iTach unavailable: invalid pulse count
Cynical Caché Error Office iTach Blaster (Amp/ATV/BlueRay) unavailable: host device Office iTach is unavailable

That is the device reporting that the plugin sent it a badly formatted IR command. Depending what's in stuff, it may simply be too many pulses. The error handling in the plugin is pretty simple, and any error reported back by the plugin is taken as a reason to disable the device. If you want to help, set the Debug modules setting in the plugin dialog to ir.gcache.gcnet and tell me what actual command got sent to the iTach. That may help me figure out what's wrong with it.
On an unrelated note do you have any docs regarding your IR database? I'd like to centralise all IR signals across the house and this sounds like an ideal approach.

It doesn't currently exist in any releasable form. (The database works fine, but the tools for populating it are stone-age command-line tools. I never got around to making it great and useful, because I somehow got sidetracked on a mostly successful mission to avoid using IR wherever possible. :-))

Cheers
-- perry

Page 1 of 1