Error when adding a trigger for Cynical SecuritySpy

Posted on
Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Error when adding a trigger for Cynical SecuritySpy

In my email I basically said that the motion event was not showing up in the event stream which did not allow your plugin to see that event. Is that basically it?

From what you said, that's basically it.

My email is perry@cynic.org.

Good luck.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 am
Dewster35 offline

I can at least now confirm that the issue does seem to be with Security spy 3.x. I downloaded and installed the 2.x version and it is now registering motion as it was before.

http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/ ... rsion.html
The link to the 2.X download if anyone is interested.

I've let Ben know my results, so hopefully we get the bottom of things. Not sure if it is a camera specific issue or not... will keep everyone posted if anything changes. For now, I'll continue running 2.X to have the motion functionality within indigo.

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

I've let Ben know my results, so hopefully we get the bottom of things. Not sure if it is a camera specific issue or not... will keep everyone posted if anything changes. For now, I'll continue running 2.X to have the motion functionality within indigo.

Thanks. It's bound to be environmental in some way, because it works on my system - some combination of either SS settings or camera features or something freakish like OS version or installed libraries...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm
Dewster35 offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:

Thanks. It's bound to be environmental in some way, because it works on my system - some combination of either SS settings or camera features or something freakish like OS version or installed libraries...

Cheers
-- perry

Honestly, I'm not sure what the advantage is with the 3.X upgrade at least for what I am using it for. There is a LITTLE bit less CPU usage, but not much. I do like the added settings for the amount of continuous motion. We have it stationed in our nursery at the moment and I have to have the motion sensitivity set super high to be able to pick our daughter's motion up... but this has caused false positives in regards to motion in the past.

I would think this is probably pretty low priority considering how we are using the software... a couple of people out of the many that use security spy can't garner much attention unfortunately :/

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:58 pm
swill offline

I can confirm that the motion events are not showing up. I tried the trick to see the event log in Terminal. I can see it switch from active/passive but no motion events are shown. I am running SecuritySpy 3.0.3, Indigo 6 (latest beta) and OS X 10.8.3.

Kind regards,
Scott

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 pm
Dewster35 offline

I've contacted Ben directly a few different times with no response on further troubleshooting (other than reverting back) or identifying a solution. I've reverted back to 2.X for the time being because I am pretty dependent upon the motion portion of this plugin working. Hopefully others have better luck in getting a solution as it seems obvious there are others out there with a similar issue.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 am
Bensoftware offline

Hi All,

There is no incompatibility with SecuritySpy version 3.x and Indigo per se. Rather, the way that SecuritySpy does motion detection has changed in version 3.x: there is now a "trigger time" setting in the Camera Settings window. This will monitor for motion over a specified period (the default is 2 seconds) and will only trigger the capture if there is continuous motion over that time. So you may see that very brief motion doesn't trigger capture (and therefore won't send a motion event to Indigo).

To set SecuritySpy version 3.x to use the same motion-detection method as version 2.x, set the trigger time to "1 frame" in the Camera Settings window.

However, the trigger time setting is very useful as it can dramatically cut down on the amount of false-positive captures that are created, so you may decide that you want to keep it at 1 or 2 seconds in order to provide this benefit.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am
Perry The Cynic offline

There is no incompatibility with SecuritySpy version 3.x and Indigo per se. Rather, the way that SecuritySpy does motion detection has changed in version 3.x: there is now a "trigger time" setting in the Camera Settings window. This will monitor for motion over a specified period (the default is 2 seconds) and will only trigger the capture if there is continuous motion over that time. So you may see that very brief motion doesn't trigger capture (and therefore won't send a motion event to Indigo).

Ben, we figured that out very quickly. The remaining problem exists even if the trigger time is set to single frame. Specifically, I can set SecuritySpy to make a rude noise when it detects motion, and I do indeed get rude noises when I move my hand in front of the camera, yet the HTTP event tap reports no motion. There appears to be an actual problem reporting events through the HTTP interface, as distinct from generally generating motion events.

There isn't much else I can do from my end here - those events just don't show up in the HTTP stream. We'll all be happy to help you diagnose the problem, but where can we start? Is there a debug option to get you more data?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 am
Bensoftware offline

I've run a test (SecuritySpy version 3.0.3) and motion events are reported to the event stream (see attached file).

However there is one difference between version 2 and 3 that I can see: in version 3, some motion-activated option has to be enabled in SecuritySpy itself, in addition to the motion-detection option being simply turned on (i.e. MD recording, or any action under the Actions tab in the Camera Settings window), otherwise the motion event won't turn up in the event stream. In version 2, it was enough to simply enable motion detection and not have any of the above-mentioned options enabled.

Does this explain the issue as far as you can see?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 08.03.58.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 08.03.58.png (84.08 KiB) Viewed 4364 times

Posted on
Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Does this explain the issue as far as you can see?

Looks like it, because I now see motion events and the plugin seems to work fine. Let's hope this isn't something random that just comes and goes to bedevil us...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 am
Bensoftware offline

Great. I will make changes in the next update (3.0.4) so that the motion events will appear in the event stream, regardless of whether any recording/actions are enabled in SecuritySpy itself. This will hopefully resolve all issues with this.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 am
Dewster35 offline

Ben & Perry... thanks for hopefully working out this issue! Me and I'm sure others are very thankful to have you both contributing to the indigo community!

Posted on
Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 am
Bensoftware offline

Quick follow-up: SecuritySpy 3.0.4 has now been released http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/download.html

Posted on
Wed May 01, 2013 5:30 pm
Dewster35 offline

Bensoftware wrote:
Quick follow-up: SecuritySpy 3.0.4 has now been released http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/download.html

Ben,
Thanks for the update. However, I'm still not seeing any motion events communicated to Perry's plugin. Is there anything else we can try to help get to the root cause of my problem?

Posted on
Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 am
Bensoftware offline

Hi Dewster,

If you load http://securityspy-server-address:8000/++eventStream in a web browser (Safari, Chrome), after a short time you should see some events come up (maybe set the cameras to Passive then Active mode, that will send some events through and cause Safari to display the text), do you see motion events shown here? Please compare SecuritySpy 2.2.4 and 3.0.4 to see if there is a difference. If you enable motion recording in SecuritySpy 3.0.4, do you get files being captured in response to motion detection?