Indigo 6 and SecuritySpy 3

Posted on
Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:34 pm
swill offline

Indigo 6 and SecuritySpy 3

Just purchased the awesome SecuritySpy software (version 3.0.3) and trying to get it to talk to Indigo 6 Beta. I've had luck with the DSC and Nest plugins but this one is stumping me.

I am successfully running the server as I can log into it from my browser. But in Indigo, the state is stuck on "preparing". I've tried it with and without credentials.

Any tips? Really appreciate them in advance.

Sincerely,

Scott
Atlanta, GA

Posted on
Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 pm
anothersphere offline

Re: Indigo 6 and SecuritySpy 3

I have it working fine. Exactly the same combination (latest SSpy version, latest Indigo beta).
Have you ensured you have created the correct access rights in Security Spy, and entered them into Indigo?
So you need a "server" device (with the SSpy details - user, password, IP) and a "Camera" device, for each camera.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:54 pm
swill offline

Got it to work! It was as simple as rebooting my computer (the one running Indigo).

I added the server and cameras successfully but now it's not picking up the motion events. I can see the change from active/passive in Indigo so I know they are communicating. Might be an issue with the new version of Security Spy.

Posted on
Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:22 pm
anothersphere offline

Odd. The latest sspy works for me.
I have triggers taking the events.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

I added the server and cameras successfully but now it's not picking up the motion events. I can see the change from active/passive in Indigo so I know they are communicating. Might be an issue with the new version of Security Spy.

In version 3 of SecuritySpy, Ben added a per-Camera checkbox for "look for motion". If that checkbox isn't on, Indigo isn't getting any motion events reported (naturally enough). So look to see if that's on. Ben's also talked about always reporting motion to Indigo regardless of that checkbox in a future version. In the meantime, that looks like it's our no-motion-on-SecuritySpy-3 problem. At least it works fine for me now.

The other matter is a new setting for how long motion must be sensed before it's reported. If brief spurts of motion don't get through but persistent hand-waving does, that's probably it.

All those new settings are useful; they're just some extra hurdles you have to leap before getting your motion reported.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:10 pm
Dewster35 offline

Where exactly is the "look for motion" checkbox located? Pretty sure I've got that checked. Were there other changes that Ben planned to make in SS 3.04?

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Where exactly is the "look for motion" checkbox located? Pretty sure I've got that checked. Were there other changes that Ben planned to make in SS 3.04?

The two settings that tend to trip people up are:
(1) The Motion Detection Enabled checkbox; and
(2) The Trigger Time pop-up.
Make sure Motion Detection is enabled, and set the Trigger Time to "1 frame". (Or if you leave it at 1 or 2 seconds, make sure to actually move vigorously for the required time. :-))

If you've got both of those set right, and it still doesn't work for you, then (3) configure the camera's Actions tab to Play sound, and verify that you hear that sound from SecuritySpy yet see no Indigo motion events. If you've reach that spot, drop me a note and we'll look at it. I've had several points now where I thought I had a bug in SecuritySpy isolated, so I'm a bit wary of calling that wolf again.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:38 pm
anothersphere offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
...Make sure Motion Detection is enabled, and set the Trigger Time to "1 frame". (Or if you leave it at 1 or 2 seconds, make sure to actually move vigorously for the required time. :-))...

Note, these security spy options of 1 & 2 seconds are great for outdoor cameras, and/or where the scene is likely to be subject to sudden changes in light/dark shadow.
For example at our house, a fence makes a dark shadow on the drive that changes as the sun is hidden/unhidden by the clouds. A single frame filter will see this as movement, flooding me with snapshots. While indoors this is not such an issue in a dark stairwell.

Also, my top tip with Security Spy - drop its images into a DropBox or similar web service and get your pics off machine to safety without need for FTP.
The off machine is useful to ensure a stolen computer does not mean no picture record!

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:44 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Note, these security spy options of 1 & 2 seconds are great for outdoor cameras, and/or where the scene is likely to be subject to sudden changes in light/dark shadow.

They're good and useful settings. Just a bit surprising, perhaps. The old one definitely had an itchy trigger finger of sorts...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 am
wjlevin offline

HI: I wonder if Security Spy can pick up the Camera's own motion detection. I have a Panasonic BL-C210, for example, and it has a light which can be set to turn on when it senses motion.

I'd like NOT to have to have a motion sensor at all in this configuration - just the camera.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:49 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

wjlevin wrote:
HI: I wonder if Security Spy can pick up the Camera's own motion detection. I have a Panasonic BL-C210, for example, and it has a light which can be set to turn on when it senses motion.

I'd like NOT to have to have a motion sensor at all in this configuration - just the camera.

You'll have to ask the SecuritySpy maintainer (Ben Bird). I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The plugin will respond to any motion events reported by SecuritySpy regardless of how they're obtained.

If you don't want Indigo to respond to motion at all, you don't have to do anything, of course - just don't create any motion events in Indigo.

Cheers
-- perry

Page 1 of 1