Indigo XMPP Client

Posted on
Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:01 pm
jheddings offline

Indigo XMPP Client

Source Code: https://github.com/jheddings/indigo-xmpp
Download: https://github.com/jheddings/indigo-xmpp/releases/download/v0.1.0/XMPP-Client-0.1.0.zip

This is a basic plugin that logs into an XMPP account and interprets messages as Indigo commands. It provides basic control over devices, variables & action groups through a chat interface, such as Google Talk or Jabber. There is still a lot of work to do, so please consider this a "proof of concept" at this point.

Setup:
- Create a dedicated Jabber or Gmail account (this will be the "bot" account)
- Add the bot as a friend/contact on your regular account
- You may need to log in as the bot and accept the contact request

Installation:
- Install xmpppy to under the Python 2.5 site_packages. This is easiest to do using the command line: easy_install-2.5 xmpppy
- Install the plugin, restart the Indigo server
- After enabling the plugin, you will need to provide the login information for your bot

Examples of commands:
- turn on House Lights
- set mode to away
- run My Custom Action Group
- status Daily Schedule

Limitations / Known Issues:
- The bot does not respond to all commands every time - may be an issue in xmpppy
- The bot assumes "Title Case" on all items except variables (first letter of each word must be capitalized)

Some of the ideas for this plugin come from DVDDave's iMessage Script

Standard disclaimer: this bot is very experimental. I have tried to test it thoroughly, however there are likely some cases I've missed. It shouldn't do anything harmful, but it may not work entirely as expected. If you find issues or have any comments, please report them here and I will try to update the plugin accordingly.
Last edited by jheddings on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo XMPP Client

Very neat. I just added it to our plugin list under the miscellaneous plugins section.

Thanks for sharing it with folks!

Posted on
Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:52 am
jtodd offline

This is great - it will replace the OpenFire->Asterisk(XMPP)->Indigo pipeline that I've been running at the moment, which is kind of a hack.

I'm on 10.6, and installed xmpppy 0.5.0rc1 (as root) without a problem with easy_install-2.5 but after a re-launch of Indigo I get this:

XMPP Client XMPP Client ONLINE...
XMPPClient XMPP Client OFFLINE...
XMPP Client Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

...and obviously the user isn't connected. These error then repeat every 10 seconds. Any ideas here? It's not even trying to connect to the XMPP server I have configured, according to a packet trace.

JT

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:56 pm
jtodd offline

I've just upgraded to 10.11 (El Capitan) and installed xmpppy to try this again. Sadly, the original plugin file seems to be missing from Box (where it was linked in the original post.) Is there an updated version of where this file lives?

JT

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:15 pm
jheddings offline

Sorry it took so long to reply to this one... In case you still need it, I've made the source and a download available through GitHub:

Source Code: https://github.com/jheddings/indigo-xmpp
Download: https://github.com/jheddings/indigo-xmpp/releases/download/v0.1.0/XMPP-Client-0.1.0.zip

Note that I haven't used this plugin for a while, so it may be broken in newer versions of macOS or Indigo. I'll try to respond to bug reports as time allows.

Posted on
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:48 am
jheddings offline

This plugin has been moved to a dedicated forum. Please check there for updates and questions.

Page 1 of 1