Plugin Information

Posted on
Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:50 pm
jheddings offline

Plugin Information

This is a very basic plugin that randomly toggles one device in a list. I couldn't find a straightforward way to accomplish this, so I wrote my own. The plugin provides a single action called Toggle Device, which randomly picks one device from a list and toggles its state. The user is able to select multiple devices when configuring the action. Only actions that support an onState property will be displayed for selection.

I am currently using this action in two ways:

"Twinkling" Lights

I have a couple of colored bulbs attached to some legacy X10 devices for Christmas. In the past, I simply turned them on for the added color. With this plugin, I set up a schedule to run every 5 seconds with a Toggle Device action. Each of the colored lights is selected in the action preferences. The result is that every 5 seconds, one of the colored lights randomly turned on or off, giving a nice twinkling effect.

"Vacation" Lights

I created a new schedule that runs every hour (but only when dark and houseMode == 'vacation') and randomized by 30 minutes. The action is a Toggle Device action, which selects from several lights from around my house. The result is that once every 30-90 minutes a light in the house turns on or off. This makes a very nice deterrent when we are away.

For more detailed information, please refer to the README.
To keep up to date with the latest changes, browse the Source Code.
To view all releases of this plugin, visit the Releases page.

Page 1 of 1