Recommend Enphase?

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am
Different Computers offline

Recommend Enphase?

I'm at the very beginning of investigating going solar.

Do users here still all recommend Enphase? Good experiences? How valuable (in a literal $$ sense) do you find the Indigo integration? Do you wish you had gone with something else?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
mclass offline

Re: Recommend Enphase?

I have recently installed a 6kW system, and after investigation settled on 2 x 3kW Fronius inverters. Happy with the result and in particular the Fronius "solarweb" interface.

Fronius have published their API and I have managed to import data into Indigo for display on a control page - but a plug in is beyond my limited time availability - not to mention my even more limited coding skills :(

Having had this data visible has proved useful, as it identified an over-voltage issue on the grid, that was sending the inverters into power limiting mode and in extreme cases shutdown of export to the grid. This is regularly (almost daily) limiting the energy exported to the grid and the financial benefits of the associated feed-in tariff. The supply authority has acknowledged the issue and is in the process of rectifying it.

In making the decision on "matters solar", I found this web site useful:
http://www.solarquotes.com.au

Although specific to the Australian market, it does provide some useful equipment comparisons and user reviews that may have more global application/value.

Good luck with your investigations!

mclass

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

Recommend Enphase?

Different Computers wrote:
I'm at the very beginning of investigating going solar.

Do users here still all recommend Enphase? Good experiences? How valuable (in a literal $$ sense) do you find the Indigo integration? Do you wish you had gone with something else?

Good luck with your researching. I have a 16KW system over three roof aspects. NWE.

I think the major starting point is how much kW and over what roof aspects?

Bigger the better in my mind - particularly to deal with battery charging down the track.

If you are using multiple roof aspects then a ‘per-panel’ solution is needed. Otherwise without a per-panel solution the output of all the panels is reduced to the output of the lowest producing panel.

My system is a microinverter array - Enphase. Which had the advantage of a micro-inverter behind each panel giving a per-panel solution. The other options are a panel device which can optimise each panel; such as TigoTS4 and solaredge power optimisers. They are more expensive but obviously worth the money if big array across a few aspects/or occasional shading on some panels.

If you are having 5kw system small array single roof aspect/no shading issues (even at times) then it is an easier choice.

See here: (agree with the website advice!)
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inverters/micro/
&
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/dis ... ope-shade/

Glenn

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:08 pm
Bcirulis offline

mclass wrote:
I have recently installed a 6kW system, and after investigation settled on 2 x 3kW Fronius inverters. Happy with the result and in particular the Fronius "solarweb" interface.

Fronius have published their API and I have managed to import data into Indigo for display on a control page - but a plug in is beyond my limited time availability - not to mention my even more limited coding skills :(

Having had this data visible has proved useful, as it identified an over-voltage issue on the grid, that was sending the inverters into power limiting mode and in extreme cases shutdown of export to the grid. This is regularly (almost daily) limiting the energy exported to the grid and the financial benefits of the associated feed-in tariff. The supply authority has acknowledged the issue and is in the process of rectifying it.

In making the decision on "matters solar", I found this web site useful:
http://www.solarquotes.com.au

Although specific to the Australian market, it does provide some useful equipment comparisons and user reviews that may have more global application/value.

Good luck with your investigations!

mclass

Hi mclass, we have just installed a Fronius system too and are playing around with Indigo. Is there any chance you’d be willing to share your code (and any tips) on how you used the Fronius API? Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:02 pm
mclass offline

Thanks for your enquiry!

Initially I had written some (very!) basic scripts to access the Fronius data and store in variables.

However, I subsequently discovered the excellent Ghost XML plug in, and am using that with great success as the Fronius responses are in JASON format

Depending what data you are seeking, depends on which Ghost XML device to create. I have two Fronius 3 kW inverters, together with a Fronius Meter that records the production of the two inverters, and sit consumption. To meet my needs, I have created four different Ghost XML devices in accordance with the plugin's documentation.

These devices are (where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of your inverter):

Fronius System using the following URL in the Ghost XML device configuration window:
Code: Select all
http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/solar_api/v1/GetInverterRealtimeData.cgi?Scope=System

Fronius Power Flow:
http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/solar_api/v1/GetPowerFlowRealtimeData.fcgi

Fronius Meter Data:
http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/solar_api/v1/GetMeterRealtimeData.cgi?Scope=System

I have attached an image of one of the Ghost XML config pages to provide further info.

Each of these devices have custom states that can be used on a control page. I am also using Matplotlib plugin to provide graphical representation of system performance. The attached example displays data that has been obtained from the custom states of the Ghost XML devices.

Our Fronius installation is in our beach house, with air con running and multiple operations of the clothes washer to support our extended family that's in residence for our summer holidays! The graph is a lot less crazy during "normal" occupations. :D

Hope this helps!

mclass
Attachments
Ghost_Config1.jpg
Ghost_Config1.jpg (74.96 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Fronius Control Page Example.jpeg
Fronius Control Page Example.jpeg (182.17 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

Posted on
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 pm
agame offline

I'm looking to install a solar system with battery backup at a remote site - integration with Indigo is an important consideration.

It seems like a year since discussion on this thread so wondering if any update to suitable inverter choices for Indigo compatibility? Enphase integration still working well?

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 am
mclass offline

I have successfully integrated Enphase micro inverters (using the Enphase plug-in ) for a 3 kw system and Fronius Primo inverters (2x 3kw inverters) using the Fronius api and the Ghost XML plug-in. Neither system has batteries but the Fronius API does appear to include provision for battery reporting.

The charts in earlier posts in this thread were produced using the Matplotlib plug-in using data derived from the Enphase or Ghost XML devices.

The principal advantage of the Enphase approach is that allows tracking of the output of each individual PV panel.

But no experience with batteries, sorry

Mclass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:36 pm
agame offline

Well it looks like I've gone full circle and close to settling on a Fronius inverter for a place in the bush. Looking fwd to playing with Ghost XML.

I've been trying to figure out where you are pulling the export info from...am I right in thinking you would have needed to add to that a Fronius 'smart meter' module and a wifi interface on the inverter? Or are you pulling the export data from the actual smart meter?

This is a rural location with 2 phase power (currently only looking to add 6.6kw to one phase - since the metering nets things out across both phases and thats the max for both roof space and export capacity). I assume your dual inverter setup was related to two phase?

Posted on
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:34 am
Different Computers offline

Looks very likely that after being interested for 5+ years, I'll be going with Enphase.

Any questions I should ask my turnkey installer?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:33 am
Korey offline

Can you ask if the inverters cause enough power line noise to render Insteon unusable?

--
Korey

Page 1 of 1