Recommend Enphase?

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am
Different Computers offline

Recommend Enphase?

I'm at the very beginning of investigating going solar.

Do users here still all recommend Enphase? Good experiences? How valuable (in a literal $$ sense) do you find the Indigo integration? Do you wish you had gone with something else?

Refugee from SmartThings and so happy to be on Indigo now.
Sierra on an i5 running Harmony Hub, Hue, Security Camera, DomoPad, EPS Device Extensions EPS Smart Dimmer, MatplotLib, Plex, Scale Adapters, uniFiAP, Wunderground.

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm
mclass offline

Re: Recommend Enphase?

I have recently installed a 6kW system, and after investigation settled on 2 x 3kW Fronius inverters. Happy with the result and in particular the Fronius "solarweb" interface.

Fronius have published their API and I have managed to import data into Indigo for display on a control page - but a plug in is beyond my limited time availability - not to mention my even more limited coding skills :(

Having had this data visible has proved useful, as it identified an over-voltage issue on the grid, that was sending the inverters into power limiting mode and in extreme cases shutdown of export to the grid. This is regularly (almost daily) limiting the energy exported to the grid and the financial benefits of the associated feed-in tariff. The supply authority has acknowledged the issue and is in the process of rectifying it.

In making the decision on "matters solar", I found this web site useful:
http://www.solarquotes.com.au

Although specific to the Australian market, it does provide some useful equipment comparisons and user reviews that may have more global application/value.

Good luck with your investigations!

mclass

Posted on
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

Recommend Enphase?

Different Computers wrote:
I'm at the very beginning of investigating going solar.

Do users here still all recommend Enphase? Good experiences? How valuable (in a literal $$ sense) do you find the Indigo integration? Do you wish you had gone with something else?

Good luck with your researching. I have a 16KW system over three roof aspects. NWE.

I think the major starting point is how much kW and over what roof aspects?

Bigger the better in my mind - particularly to deal with battery charging down the track.

If you are using multiple roof aspects then a ‘per-panel’ solution is needed. Otherwise without a per-panel solution the output of all the panels is reduced to the output of the lowest producing panel.

My system is a microinverter array - Enphase. Which had the advantage of a micro-inverter behind each panel giving a per-panel solution. The other options are a panel device which can optimise each panel; such as TigoTS4 and solaredge power optimisers. They are more expensive but obviously worth the money if big array across a few aspects/or occasional shading on some panels.

If you are having 5kw system small array single roof aspect/no shading issues (even at times) then it is an easier choice.

See here: (agree with the website advice!)
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inverters/micro/
&
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/dis ... ope-shade/

Glenn

Page 1 of 1