Plugin for FlightAware/PiAware

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm
mpoulson offline

Plugin for FlightAware/PiAware

I am thinking about writing a plugin to integrate to Flight aware to monitor a PiAware device. If you are interested in this please let me know.

Posted on
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 pm
MarcoGT offline

Re: Plugin for FlightAware/PiAware

Hi,

that's would be interisting.
I am also planning to buy/build a ADS-B Receiver.
What do you plan to do with the plugin?

Which website are you feeding with your receiver?

Posted on
Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm
mpoulson offline

I was thinking about posting events when the PiAware stops posting data to Flightaware.
Event if a specific flight/plane come within view - Allows you to set automation if you know what flight you will be coming home on.

Because it is my partners project I don't know fully what it offers. I am open to ideas.

Posted on
Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:17 am
jalves offline

I'm intrigued by the concept. I've occasionally thought about getting a PiAware node just for the fun of it. I'm thinking that Flight Aware already as adequate coverage in my area since I'm apparently under one of the regular flight patterns into/out of MCO. I've actually been able to spot my house on approach/departure.

In order to work well at my house, I'd probably have to mount the PiAware outside which brings with it the challenges of powering it (solar?), weather proofing it, and getting the signal to my system (probably wifi). It would also have to be a very discrete package since my community has an HOA that severely limits the ability to put up outside antennas. (A curse for ham radio operators).

Anyway, assuming I could overcome those issues, what would I do with the data? I just don't know. I kind of like the idea of watching for a specific flight (re-set AC perhaps?) but couldn't count on the info coming from my own PiAware device since the flight patterns depend on prevailing winds, etc. I've also got that issue covered because I simply set a schedule in Indigo that resets a Vacation variable at the start/end of my trips.

So, thus far a nice solution in search of a problem.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1