Bar Graph with single daily reading?

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 am
Professor Falken offline

Bar Graph with single daily reading?

I am trying to create a small bar graph of daily measured rainfall (from a nearby WU station) for display on my irrigation and weather CP's, but I can't quite figure out how to do this.

I have both MatPlotLib and INDIGOPlotD installed and have played with both, successfully making line graphs for things like temperature, internet speed, etc. I know that MatPlotLib has a bar graph option, and have attempted to use that, but the problem is, the frequency of updates seems to be set in the overall parameters of the plugin, not on a graph by graph (or data set) basis, right?

I just want a single reading per day for this (say, maybe right before midnight) and then graph that single daily number for the last week or two. Ideally, the amount of rain for the current day (which would be changing throughout the day) would be at the rightmost bar, but I realize that likely adds a lot more complexity than simply leaving off the current day (until at midnight when the daily number is finalized).

Do any of the current plotting plugins have a bar graph capability like this?

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am
kw123 offline

Re: Bar Graph with single daily reading?

You could do the extra data feature in indigoplotd. But you have to create the data yourself, create a file:
x;y
Date1;value1
Date2;value2
Then create a plot device and select data from external file then select that data in the line def section.

you also need to set the data format in the frame section

That should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:10 am
kw123 offline

Or you use the day plot
Select in data source the rain sensor and select max value that will show the current max value for the day. And just one value per day. Since you selected the max Value That should do it

Karl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:45 am
Professor Falken offline

Oh, great idea.

Thanks Karl.

Awesome plugin you have written.

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:47 am
DaveL17 offline

Professor Falken wrote:
I know that MatPlotLib has a bar graph option, and have attempted to use that, but the problem is, the frequency of updates seems to be set in the overall parameters of the plugin, not on a graph by graph (or data set) basis, right?

It sounds like you may have found a workable solution with Karl's excellent plugin.

But to the question of update frequency in the Matplotlib plugin, you presently can not set device-specific refresh rates, that's true. (I say presently because independent refresh rates are on the feature request list.) You can set the plugin to 'Manual Updates Only' and then build Indigo schedules to run the refreshes. That can be a fairly intensive operation if you have a lot of charts, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm
Professor Falken offline

You can set the plugin to 'Manual Updates Only' and then build Indigo schedules to run the refreshes. That can be a fairly intensive operation if you have a lot of charts, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Hmm, I didn't realize that was possible. So I guess a given chart device can be scheduled to refresh at whatever rate (or whatever time) one wants then? Very interesting.

I think the two plugin developers may have each given me a workable solution-- and all within a few hours of posting my question. Thanks to both of you!

This forum is awesome.

Page 1 of 1