Using Twilio to control Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:02 am
FlyingDiver offline

Using Twilio to control Indigo?

I know the old Google Voice SMS plugin had some capability for responding to commands sent via SMS. Did anyone use those features? What would you need added to the Twilio plugin to get the same results?

I was thinking about this after I wrote the HTTPd plugin for IFTTT. That plugin provides the capability to set global variable values. Requires triggers on any change in those variables to actually do something, but that's not too hard to do. You can sort of do the same thing with the current Twilio plugin, but looking at changes in the received message states. But then parsing those states into specific variables and values would require some work.

I'm open to suggestions.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:20 pm
fawcettr offline

Re: Using Twilio to control Indigo?

I used Google Voice SMS to respond to several commands sent to the Indigo account.
Help, returned all commands it understood
Gate, opened my driveway gate and returned conformation
Latch, latched open gate and returned conformation
Arm/disarm, changed security status and returned conformation
Status, returned security status of each zone and inside temperature

This was all pretty simple, I stored the received message in a variable, change to that variable triggered a program to take action, including resetting variable to null. I also used variable to store my status. If I was in USA, I send SMS, if not then just email. I could also add guest status for receiving conformation.

I've been out of country for a few months, but when I return home I'm hoping your Twilio plugin will replace the non-functioning Google solution.

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:23 pm
FlyingDiver offline

OK, so you should be able to port your existing triggers and scripts to Twilio pretty easily. If you have problems, let me know. Also be sure to read the forum post about Immediate Notifications, which eliminates the polling delay before receiving the sms message.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am
whmoorejr offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
eliminates the polling delay

Yeah, it's pretty fast. I though it wasn't working when I first started testing it (watching the variable list for a change while sending twilio a text). Once I opened the log file, I could see the (ping -> true) and (trigger -> false) happening before my phone finished making the message sent noise.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Page 1 of 1