time outs

Posted on
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am
Different Computers offline

Re: time outs

howartp wrote:
You seem to have more problems with IT than anyone's fair share!

Don't I know it! In the time I've been using Indigo, I am pretty sure I've gone through FOUR CenturyLink DSL modems. Service past the house is not great on reliability, and their first choice on any issue is "We'll send you a new modem" which I think is ridiculous, but if I don't swap it out, they won't help me any further. I've insultated myself as much as possible with my IP based HA by using static IP addresses everywhere I can, but if there's a way to assign a static IP to the Harmony Hub, I haven't found it. I also remove the DSL modem as much as possible from the equation by using a separate wifi AP.

The ISP unreliability is, of course, also part of why SmartThings, with its cloud dependency, was a disaster for me. More last year than this, but there was a time when we could count on the internet going down if it started raining.

Separate from networking, there's definitely a bit of pushing my skill set beyond the point of comfort when it comes to adding Python libraries and such like. Slowly I'm getting past the point where someone failing to mention that sudo is required throws me.
Last edited by Different Computers on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 am
FlyingDiver offline

Put the CenturyLink modem in bridge mode and get yourself a decent router that you can set up DHCP reservations in. Much better than setting static IP addresses in the devices themselves.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:52 am
Different Computers offline

Indeed, I would love to do bridge mode, but CL doesn't offer real documentation on what settings I should use. I only recently found out that they even allow you to do it, and that in fact they allow non CL modems on their networks. I still haven't bitten that bullet because I can predict some future upstream problem where the 1st line support person refuses to forward me to the 2nd line people because I'm using a non-standard modem and just insists that must be the problem.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.