Manually locked/unlocked triggers

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm
new2me07 offline

Manually locked/unlocked triggers

So in the old days of Vera I used a manually locked trigger to stay arm my security panel, a manually unlocked to disarm, and a normal locked event to away arm the panel.

This transparent implementation had a very high WAF! Honestly we haven't armed the system since migration to indigo. I do see this information is being passed in the log but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to act upon it... if at all. Is this something that can be added to the plug in?

Thanks for all the work so far, very appreciated!

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:05 pm
johnfdl offline

Re: Manually locked/unlocked triggers

Not sure I understand what you mean. Let me tell you what I do as it may be what you are describing. I also came from Vera and love Indigo. I have a zwave lock on the door that leads to the garage. I also have an Alarm system (DSC) that is connected to Indigo via Envisalink. When the door is unlocked, the alarm is disarmed. When the door is locked, the alarm is Armed. I don't use the zwave lock manager for this....rather, I just have a trigger that arms or disarms the alarm based on the lock or unlock of the door.

I can't remember the last time I actually set or disarmed the alarm.

It's a bit different now that I have piBeacon set up. My PiBeacon monitors my family's iBeacons and when all members of the family are away, it sets the alarm, locks the doors, closes the garage, etc. And when one member of the family is in range, it unlocks the door, disarms the alarm.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:19 pm
johnpolasek offline

I have a somewhat different approach since I don't have an alarm panel as such; just a bunch of triggers in Indigo that send me alerts if a door or window opens or a motion sensor goes off while the house mode variable = armed. The Arm/disarm action for the variable is taken from the piBeacons; we have 6 validated beacons in the "family" group , and as soon as the family count becomes > 0, the system disarms and as soon as it = 0, the system locks all the doors and arms itself unless the bypass variable is set. Bypass must be set manually and unsets itself automatically whenever the family beacon count becomes > 0. There is a pi near each door and whenever a family beacon goes from expired to up in the vicinity of a door, that door unlocks automatically. Saves a ton of setting, unsetting, and unlocking doors.

But if you want to use the door lock as an arming trigger, Howard is correct; the door lock device itself has a state that can trigger on "becomes = locked" or "becomes = unlocked", as long as you have some way to send that information to the alarm panel from Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:46 pm
new2me07 offline

I hope to be hopping on the PiBeacon train soon, looks very promising.

To explain my use case a little better I'd use the triggers like this

Manually unlocked (unlocked by turning the deadbolt) would disarm the "stay armed" DSC panel because someone is home and trying to get out.

Manually locked (locking deadbolt from inside) would arm the DSC panel in the "stay armed" condition bypassing the common area motions and interior doors. This would also lock all the locks, because if your home and lock one door, why wouldn't you want all of them locked?

Locked via Keypad (can't remember how Vera described it exactly) would arm the system in the "away armed" mode so if Any zones tripped the alarm would sound.

Unlocked via Code well you get the idea, had a bunch of specific actions based on which code but all disarmed the DSC panel.

There's plenty of ways to skin this cat, but this method doesn't involve smartphones which can be lost or dead, and any guest can figure it, no explanation required.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:44 pm
johnfdl offline

OK, so you can figure out how to set up a trigger to arm the alarm when the lock is locked and disarm when its unlocked, but it sounds as if you want to distinguish between a person turning the deadbolt from the inside (and hence arm STAY) vs. a person engaging the deadbolt from the outside (and hence arm AWAY). Correct? I didn't realize there was this level of status in Vera and I don't know if there is a way in Indigo. What I do see is "Last Changed Via" setting. I've not used it before, but perhaps this may allow you the distinction between a change from the keypad and one from the lever.

Posted on
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:58 pm
kwijibo007 offline

johnfdl wrote:
it sounds as if you want to distinguish between a person turning the deadbolt from the inside (and hence arm STAY) vs. a person engaging the deadbolt from the outside (and hence arm AWAY). Correct?

If you have a motion sensor covering the room on the inside where the door is you could use that to distinguish between someone using the lock form inside/outside? I use this technique a lot for determining if someone is entering or leaving a room with motion and door sensors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:09 am
johnpolasek offline

johnfdl wrote:
OK, so you can figure out how to set up a trigger to arm the alarm when the lock is locked and disarm when its unlocked, but it sounds as if you want to distinguish between a person turning the deadbolt from the inside (and hence arm STAY) vs. a person engaging the deadbolt from the outside (and hence arm AWAY). Correct? I didn't realize there was this level of status in Vera and I don't know if there is a way in Indigo. What I do see is "Last Changed Via" setting. I've not used it before, but perhaps this may allow you the distinction between a change from the keypad and one from the lever.

LastChangedVia can be "Controller" (Indigo did it), "Manual" (Key or lever did it), or "Keypad" (User Code or one touch lock button did it)...

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:37 am
johnfdl offline

johnpolasek wrote:

LastChangedVia can be "Controller" (Indigo did it), "Manual" (Key or lever did it), or "Keypad" (User Code or one touch lock button did it)...

OK, so based on that, it sounds as if property can be used in trigger logic to determine if someone is leaving (keypad) and set alarm to away or if somone is staying (manual) and set alarm to stay. You wouldn't know if they were leaving or staying if they controlled the lock via Indigo, but in that case you could always just set to stay (just in case).

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:06 am
johnpolasek offline

That would be correct; the only other "gotcha" would be that if someone locked the door with a physical key, the lock would still see that as a "stay" since it can't tell the difference between the internal lever and the external lockset. That's why we don't arm/disarm on lock status but rather check for family beacons present.. It does leave a 90 second "dead zone" before the beacon actually expires after the last person leaves, but since we live at the end of a quarter mile long driveway that's the only way in or out other than a hike through the brush, it's not a big issue for us. And we also have a few lighted decorations (plasma ball, lava lamp, etc( scattered around the house that are triggered on through appliancelincs whenever any door is unlocked or window opened just so we know whether the house is "secured" or not before we go to bed.

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 am
johnfdl offline

johnpolasek wrote:
That would be correct; the only other "gotcha" would be that if someone locked the door with a physical key, the lock would still see that as a "stay" since it can't tell the difference between the internal lever and the external lockset. That's why we don't arm/disarm on lock status but rather check for family beacons present.. It does leave a 90 second "dead zone" before the beacon actually expires after the last person leaves, but since we live at the end of a quarter mile long driveway that's the only way in or out other than a hike through the brush, it's not a big issue for us. And we also have a few lighted decorations (plasma ball, lava lamp, etc( scattered around the house that are triggered on through appliancelincs whenever any door is unlocked or window opened just so we know whether the house is "secured" or not before we go to bed.

I doubt anyone with a zwave lock would be using a key to lock the door. Heck, I don't know where the damn key is to the door as I don't think I've ever used it!

Also, as you say, 90 secs is fine in your case, but if it weren't, you could adjust the duration on the piBecaon to expire more or less quickly. I usually

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:41 am
howartp offline

In response to the original question...

Have you looked under triggers > Zwave lock manager events?

I thought I'd implemented triggers on the means of locking; I know I detect and log it so if I haven't added triggers, it's a simple tweak for me to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 am
howartp offline

v1.0.39, just posted, now includes triggers for "(Un)Locked by...."

Peter

Page 1 of 1