Feedback on Version 3.0.27 Requested

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 pm
autolog offline

Feedback on Version 3.0.27 Requested

I would be interested in feedback from anyone trying out the pre-release version 3.0.27.

As mentioned in the release notes, I have re-worked the code to make it thread-safe. I think some of the intermittent discovery problems (not the Echo Gen 2 discovery issue) might have been because the older code wasn't. The problems were intermittent and were likely to manifest themselves with increased numbers of Alexa-Hue Bridges being set-up and if there was a large amount of uPnP traffic on the network.

Previously, to try and get round these problems, slight delays had been added into the processing. These have now been removed and in my experience with using this latest version, Alexa seems more responsive.

Once I am happy there aren't any major glitches in it, I will complete the documentation update and make it an official release. :)

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 pm
roquej offline

Re: Feedback on Version 3.0.27 Requested

autolog wrote:
I would be interested in feedback from anyone trying out the pre-release version 3.0.27.

As mentioned in the release notes, I have re-worked the code to make it thread-safe. I think some of the intermittent discovery problems (not the Echo Gen 2 discovery issue) might have been because the older code wasn't. The problems were intermittent and were likely to manifest themselves with increased numbers of Alexa-Hue Bridges being set-up and if there was a large amount of uPnP traffic on the network.

Previously, to try and get round these problems, slight delays had been added into the processing. These have now been removed and in my experience with using this latest version, Alexa seems more responsive.

Once I am happy there aren't any major glitches in it, I will complete the documentation update and make it an official release. :)

I loaded earlier today and is working great. In particular the Network Filter feature definite results in MUCH faster actions.

Thank you!

JP

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:50 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi Jon

Thanks for this Plugin - has been working well (provided I disabled Sonos when discovering..)

Upgraded to 3.0.27 and all good.

Somewhat late to the party I have discovered Routines! Discovered I can set up Open Gate, Close Gate etc rather than having to Turn On Gate.

Have set an action group to toggle On/off; which works when run separately.

Within Alexa though the Routines want to turn on and then Dim which obviously doesn't work.
If I set
Indigo DIM action: to NO ACTION
It works - yet I get error message 'doesn't support dimming' (?)

If I set to HANDLE DIM as ON/OFF
It activates the action group twice - (essentially in my example) turning on, and then off quickly.

Error message seem cosmetic only I suspect - but is it needed?

But thanks again - and I'll continue to play with Routines! :D

Glenn

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 am
Redrocker offline

Hello Jon,

This really isn't related to the 3.0.27 version specifically, but has been plaguing my Indigo installation for several months now. It is the whole broken pipe issue, where Alexa loses her mind after a short period. Currently I am restarting the plugin at the top of the hour as a work around. Here is what I'm seeing in the logs:

Code: Select all
Mar 13, 2018, 7:43:26 AM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Bridge 2'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Bridge 1'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'

Mar 13, 2018, 7:47:07 AM
   Z-Wave                          received "007 - Livingroom - Motion Sensor" status update battery level 100%

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:56 am
autolog offline

Hi Mark,
It possibly looks like some sort of network error which means the communication with the Echo has broken down for some reason. It normally means the other end (Echo) has closed the connection. :|

Can you give more details of your setup e.g. How many Echos, what mac hardware are running Indigo on and what version of OS x / Mac Os?
Is there anything non-standard about your network setup? How loaded (cpu) is your system, How many Alexa-Hue Bridges you have running ?
Just trying to get a flavour of your environment. :)

Once this occurs, does the plugin stop working i.e. doesn't respond to commands any longer?

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am
Redrocker offline

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. Here are my specs:

Amazon hardware:
Two (2) Amazon echo's, (1st generation, full size)
One (1) Echo dot, (1st generation)
Three (3) Echo dots (2nd generation)
One (1) Echo spot
For a total of 7 echo devices.

Mac hardware:
Headless Mac mini (Mid 2010) w/8gb RAM, SSD boot drive
El capitan OS
No additional software run on a regular basis (dedicated to Indigo/HA)

Network (and this may be an issue)
48 IP devices that are permanent (meaning, no "new devices") in fingscan
Mac mini is running over wireless, but close enough to a hard wire if needed

Indigo:
Version Indigo 7.1.1
Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27
Bridge 1: 19 devices
Bridge 2: 19 devices
No additional devices added due to this issue

Reloading the plugin gives the following output:
Mar 13, 2018, 10:52:06 AM
   Reloading plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27"
   Stopping plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27" (pid 85904)
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge shutdown requested
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                HTTP server stopping...
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                HTTP server stopping...
   Stopped plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27"
   Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27" (pid 51108)
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.1.15'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa discovery request logging enabled
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                No debugging requested
   Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.27"
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                'Alexa Bridge 1' has 19 Alexa Devices published
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1' web server thread
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1' started: Host: 192.168.1.15 Port: 8178
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                'Alexa Bridge 2' has 19 Alexa Devices published
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 2' web server thread
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 2' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 2' started: Host: 192.168.1.15 Port: 8179
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.

There are about 5 "Virtual Device Groups" which have been added as a device to the bridges, so that the group may be switched on with one command.

Thanks for the help!

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am
Redrocker offline

10 minutes later:
Mar 13, 2018, 11:02:39 AM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '208' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Bridge 2'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '208' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Bridge 1'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'

Mar 13, 2018, 11:06:03 AM
   Trigger                         Set isSomeoneHome Variable to false if all are away

Mar 13, 2018, 11:09:38 AM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1' responding to Alexa discovery from 192.168.1.250:53027 [request id: 1] ...
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Bar light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Cabinet lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Dining room light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Entry light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front door lock' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front door outlet' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Garage light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Kitchen light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Laundry room lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Lower landing light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Master bath spotlights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Master fan' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Office light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Shower light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'TV light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Table light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Upstairs bathroom light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Vanity light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                ... 19 devices discovered by Alexa on Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1'.
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 2' responding to Alexa discovery from 192.168.1.250:56250 [request id: 2] ...
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Arcade lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Back bar light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Bar fan' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Bedroom lamps' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Breakfast nook' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 1' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 2' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 3' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 4' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 5' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Can 6' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Closet light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Fan lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Harley lamp' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Harley light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Livingroom lamps' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Mantle light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Master bath lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'S U game lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                ... 19 devices discovered by Alexa on Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 2'.
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1' responding to Alexa discovery from 192.168.1.250:53029 [request id: 3] ...
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Bar light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Cabinet lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Dining room light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Entry light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front door lock' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front door outlet' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Front light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Garage light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Kitchen light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Laundry room lights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Lower landing light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Master bath spotlights' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Master fan' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Office light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Shower light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'TV light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Table light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Upstairs bathroom light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                + Publishing device 'Vanity light' to Alexa
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                ... 19 devices discovered by Alexa on Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge 1'.

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm
autolog offline

It might be worth looking at hard wiring the Mac to see if that makes a difference, just in case the WiFi is playing up. :)

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:54 pm
autolog offline

GlennNZ wrote:
Within Alexa though the Routines want to turn on and then Dim which obviously doesn't work.
If I set
Indigo DIM action: to NO ACTION
It works - yet I get error message 'doesn't support dimming' (?)

If I set to HANDLE DIM as ON/OFF
It activates the action group twice - (essentially in my example) turning on, and then off quickly.

Error message seem cosmetic only I suspect - but is it needed? ....

OK I will take a look at this - maybe a few days before I can get round to it as family duties taking over for the next few days. :)

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm
Redrocker offline

autolog wrote:
It might be worth looking at hard wiring the Mac to see if that makes a difference, just in case the WiFi is playing up. :)

Tried that today hoping for an easy fix, no difference. I'm beginning to think something more drastic - that would require backing up my database first! I'll have to ponder that one for awhile first though.

Thanks for the replies though.

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 pm
drewcaplan offline

I have the same problem. Running 3.0.29. I have a single Amazon Dot and I get periodic errors in my logs: "StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'.

It is then followed immediately by a nearly identical line: "StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Dot.' Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'.

Note that Alexa Dot is the name of my one and only Alexa device.

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm
Ramias offline

This is also an issue on 3.0.29 but the feature came out in .27.

I have several Echo devices, all with reserved IPs on my router and defined with that "static" IP address in Indigo.

Often the IP/Alexa device that appears in the logs is different than the one that I was speaking to. It's not consistent. Sometimes it is the device in room B when I'm speaking in room A that issues the command; sometimes it is the device in rooms D or E.

Just now I was in room A and C and device B (downstairs) shows in the Indigo logs as the device issuing the command. (In this example, A and C are both Echo shows; B is the original tower speaker; I've also had a gen 2 dot (in the basement) appear in the logs while speaking to an Echo upstairs.

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 am
autolog offline

drewcaplan wrote:
I have the same problem. Running 3.0.29. I have a single Amazon Dot and I get periodic errors in my logs: "StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'.

It is then followed immediately by a nearly identical line: "StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Alexa Dot.' Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'.

Note that Alexa Dot is the name of my one and only Alexa device.

I think the broken pipe indicates a network problem of some sort.

The double message should only be one - it was something left over from testing. :)

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:21 am
autolog offline

Ramias wrote:
This is also an issue on 3.0.29 but the feature came out in .27.

I have several Echo devices, all with reserved IPs on my router and defined with that "static" IP address in Indigo.

Often the IP/Alexa device that appears in the logs is different than the one that I was speaking to. It's not consistent. Sometimes it is the device in room B when I'm speaking in room A that issues the command; sometimes it is the device in rooms D or E.

Just now I was in room A and C and device B (downstairs) shows in the Indigo logs as the device issuing the command. (In this example, A and C are both Echo shows; B is the original tower speaker; I've also had a gen 2 dot (in the basement) appear in the logs while speaking to an Echo upstairs.

This is working as expected and is not a problem. The point of providing the facility to define your Echos to Indigo, was so that this could be tracked.
As I understand it, when you speak to an Echo - the command goes back to Amazon and it decides which Echo will respond to Indigo.
Why it should do that, I don't know. :)

Posted on
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
As I understand it, when you speak to an Echo - the command goes back to Amazon and it decides which Echo will respond to Indigo.
Why it should do that, I don't know. :)

In a more general sense, it's because that's how it determines which Echo was most likely to be the target of the command. If you have multiple Echos that may hear the same command, then they need to figure it out to continue any continued interaction. I hadn't thought too much about this until I disconnected one of my Echos from my personal account and connected it to a development account. I then started experiencing that dev echo also trying to respond to requests to a different Echo but when both heard the request (I need to change the wake word on the dev Echo to stop it I suspect).

How this relates to which Echo to direct the request to, I can only speculate. But my guess is that it starts with the Echos that have the built-in direct communication first (the "legacy" communication to Hue, etc.) before it tries to direct it to an HA skill.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn