Alexa Routines

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am
polycron offline

Alexa Routines

I just started playing around with the new "Alexa Routines" capabilities in the Alexa app and have run into an issue. When I attempt to add an action and bring up the list of devices, I see all of my hue-bridge devices however when I select one of them I get the message "ALERT This device is not currently supported". Any thoughts on why this would be?

Jeff

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 am
autolog offline

Re: Alexa Routines

Hi Jeff,

I didn't realise you could do that. 8)

I have just set up a routine using the iOS App (on iOS 11.0.2) to turn on an Indigo Alexa-Hue Bridge device (a lamp) and it worked for me. I then add a further two devices and I can now turn on three at the same time. :)

So, just to clarify, you select a device in the Routines section that is a device managed by the Indigo Alexa-Hue Bridge and it then gives you the message?

When I go to Add an Action > SmartHome > My Lamp: I get a lamp device (e.g. fake hue bulb) and I can set the brightness or turn it off and then select Next and then the Alexa App summarises the action e.g. "Alexa will turn off: My Lamp, Brightness: 0%" and then I can click Add and it is added to the list of Actions.

What version of the plugin are you running?

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm
polycron offline

I am on the latest version. I had to jump through a few small hoops but have it working now. You're question about the version and the fact that you have it working on your's led me to do a re-discover of my devices. After the re-discovery about 6 of my 15 devices were available to me, the other 9 were not. I ended up going through the Alexa web page to forget them (can't do that on the android mobile app anymore) and then did another re-discovery. Now all of my devices work great. I probably haven't done a rediscovery since 3.0.07.

On a side note, these routines rock! Especially if you want to have a Wake-up or Bed-time routine. For those who are not familiar with the new Alexa Routines, you can assign a specific Statement (or even a scheduled time if you don't want to speak) which will allow you to control Alexa enable devices. You can also utilize News, Traffic and Weather in your routine. As an example I use my Harmony Hub as an IR blaster so I can simply say "Alexa, Good Morning" and it will turn on various hue bridge enabled Zwave lights around the house, turn off my IR controlled fan and read off the current days weather forecast. The "Good Night" routine is pretty much just the opposite minus the weather forecast. Now if they would only add the ability to turn on specific music playlists on the Alexa, these routines would be complete.

Jeff

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:05 am
whmoorejr offline

On a side note.... Have you (or anyone) tried executing a routine in reverse. Using the device as the trigger to launch the routine.... i.e., if bedroom light turns on, play audio.

On my end, I noticed that you can initiate a routine based on a device status. But none of my Hue devices (plugin devices) show up.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 am
mat offline

whmoorejr wrote:
On a side note.... Have you (or anyone) tried executing a routine in reverse. Using the device as the trigger to launch the routine.... i.e., if bedroom light turns on, play audio.

On my end, I noticed that you can initiate a routine based on a device status. But none of my Hue devices (plugin devices) show up.

I started to look at this last week, as you can then use the proximity feature in the app for home/away status. Got distracted!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 pm
whmoorejr offline

mat wrote:
as you can then use the proximity feature in the app for home/away status. Got distracted!
. Will this work with the app? I thought that would be tied to the new Alexa car thing? Update if you can get a routine going using that please.

It looks like triggering off a device requires that you use only specific devices. (Sensors... not lights). So we would need a different type of indigo integration.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smarthome/build-smart-home-skills-for-sensors.html

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 pm
mat offline

I think it works via the phone app

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1