Colly offline

New Sonos Play 1 with integrated Alexa

For all you Alexa & Sonos lovers there's a new toy coming. :lol:
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/one.html

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm
roussell offline

New Sonos Play 1 with integrated Alexa

They’ve also released the Sonos skill (beta) for Alexa. Works well so far.
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-a ... up-6791327

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:29 pm
Colly offline

Re: New Sonos Play 1 with integrated Alexa

Didn't see that - I must give it a try.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:40 pm
nlagaros offline

I know I’m never around but can tell you that the Sonos plugin does not seem to have any issues with Alexa. Been using it for a few weeks.

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:05 am
MarcoGT offline

Uh, my Play:1 is already old :(

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:11 am
Japple55 offline

nlagaros wrote:
I know I’m never around but can tell you that the Sonos plugin does not seem to have any issues with Alexa. Been using it for a few weeks.

Somehow, I missed this. Thanks for the heads-up...works great!

Jim

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 am
siclark offline

Typical. The 2 HA advances I've been waiting all year for, Sonos connectivity with Alexa and Alexa calling / drop in to come to the UK both come when I'm out the country on holiday.
Can't wait to test these out.
Now to figure out how to link the 2 so a drop in to the kitchen Sonos from the bedroom mutes the kitchen Sonos during the conversation.

Posted on
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:40 pm
eme jota ce offline

I've also been very happy with the Alexa & Sonos integration & Indigo Sonos plugin. All three work very well together under my testing for some time.

The new Alexa / Sonos integration is, by no means, a replacement for many of the home automation integrations of Nick's excellent Sonos Indigo Plugin. While I now use Alexa to start a lot of the music listening in the house, Sonos plugin allows for amps and subwoofers to power up / power down based upon player status, play an important role in scenes, actions, and other triggers.

Alexa's strength is playing Pandora, radio stations, and other sources from a voice command. "Alexa, play {radio paradise} in the kitchen" works very well. There's a "feature" that some may find annoying, however, speaking to Alexa will temporarily drop the volume in all of your Sonos zones. So, when kids say "Alexa, play KidzBop in the Family Room," or "Alexa, next" or "Alexa, Volume 4 in the FR" ... Sonos will drop the volume (completely or nearly completely) of whatever I'm playing in any and all other zones for a couple seconds for each and every command or inquiry she receives.

Still, as a Sonos fan since 2007, this is a great upgrade to a great whole house music system.

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 am
spiv offline

Sonos is making their API public and available to anyone. Bigger companies can get certified, but anyone can use it:

https://www.cepro.com/article/sonos_int ... with_sonos

Posted on
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm
nicb offline

The Sonos Play One cannot be recommended at this time :cry: two main issues:
  • Keeps loosing Alexa functionality, needs a hard reboot to reset. Not clear what is causing it yet. But unreliable.
  • Drop in not supported. I was expecting to replace an Echo and a Sonos 1, but can't. Outbound and inbound drop in is key for that location for me.
I expect Sonos will fix these issues, the first one hopefully soon, the later maybe not so soon, but until then the Sonos Play One is demoted to a spare vanilla Sonos.

Page 1 of 1