Cannot enable Alexa Hue skill

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am
madscientist offline

Cannot enable Alexa Hue skill

I've been running the Alexa-Hue Bridge plug-in for several months with lots of Insteon devices. It's been working great...until today. I installed a couple new Insteon switches today, and was having trouble getting Alexa to discover the new devices, so I decided to disable and re-enable the Alexa Hue skill. While I was at it, I upgraded to the latest version of the Hue-Bridge plug-in (v3.0.12), as mine was a few months out of date. Turns out this was a big mistake, as now I can't seem to re-enable the Hue skill, so Alexa can no longer discover any of my bridged Insteon devices.

The Alexa-Hue plug-in is enabled, and I have 5 emulated bridge devices all with discovery on. When I tell the Alexa app to enable the Hue skill, it asks me to login to my Hue account. After logging in, it says "Time to link your bridge. Push the big button on the middle of your bridge. The one you've always wanted to push. Go on. Waiting for bridge...".

The Alexa app tries to discover a bridge for 60 seconds, and then an error message appears that says "Oops. Failed to link bridge. Did you push the button before the timer ran out? Please disconnect and reconnect the power cable to your Hue Bridge. Then retry linking it to your account."

In the Indigo log, lots of errors appear as follows:

Code: Select all
Oct 4, 2017, 12:42:58 PM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                sent "Hue Bridge - Basement Home Theatre" Discovery Toggle
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Stop Discovery . . . . . . . . . .
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Stopping Hue Bridge 'Hue Bridge - Basement Home Theatre' discovery threads as 'Turn Off Discovery' requested
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                sent "Hue Bridge - Basement Home Theatre" Discovery Toggle
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Hue Bridge - Basement Home Theatre' discovery threads as 'Turn On Discovery' requested

Oct 4, 2017, 12:44:42 PM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          getHueDeviceJSON exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Alexa-Hue Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/hue_listener.py", line 261, in getHueDeviceJSON
    deviceListDict = self._createFullDeviceDict(ahbDevId)
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Alexa-Hue Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/hue_listener.py", line 372, in _createFullDeviceDict
    publishedAlexaDevices =  self.jsonLoadsProcess(ahbDev.pluginProps['alexaDevices'])
KeyError: 'key alexaDevices not found in dict'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1984666855. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Alexa-Hue Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/hue_listener.py", line 261, in getHueDeviceJSON
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Alexa-Hue Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/hue_listener.py", line 372, in _createFullDeviceDict
    publishedAlexaDevices =  self.jsonLoadsProcess(ahbDev.pluginProps['alexaDevices'])

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1598055413. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1984666855. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1432499018. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1403139262. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 528598579. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1403139262. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1598055413. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 528598579. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for device 1432499018. Line '141' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Any ideas what I can try next?

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 am
autolog offline

Re: Cannot enable Alexa Hue skill

I'll try and help. :)

Looks like there is a bug in the plugin because it shouldn't get into a situation wher it can't handle an error. :|

When you upgraded to the latest version, what version where you upgrading from?

Can you explain what you are using the Alexa Hue Skill for?

The plugin doesn't need it. I assume that the Insteon devices are defined to Indigo and you have defined them as Alexa devices in the Alexa-Hue Bridge?

In the meanwhile I will take a look at your log entries and see if I can see what is going adrift. :)

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am
madscientist offline

The old plugin has a date stamp of Jan 30, 2017, so I think that might be v2.0.11. It's entirely possible that I had the Alexa Hue skill enabled for no reason. I was under the assumption that I needed it, but it sounds like that is not the case.

You are correct that all my Insteon devices are defined in Indigo, and I have defined them as Alexa devices in the Alexa-Hue Bridge. Here are some screenshots in case that helps:

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 am
madscientist offline

I tried downgrading back to the version 2.0.11 plug-in, and everything works perfectly again! So the problem must have arisen sometime between version 2.0.11 and the 3.0.12. If you need me to do any testing I would be happy to. Thanks for your continued work on this amazing plugin!

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm
autolog offline

Before I dig deeper did you follow the V2 to V3 conversion procedure in the documentation?
See Migration from version 2

Have you got any Alexa-Hue bridges with more than 20 devices.

Did you delete all the Alexa devices from Alexa using the Alexa App before you tried discovery?

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm
madscientist offline

There's the problem! No, I had not done the V2 to V3 migration. Now that I have, the newest plugin is working fine. My apologies.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 pm
autolog offline

No need to apologise - I am glad it is working for you. :D

It was a useful test as obviously the plugin should handle this situation. :?
As you are now working OK - I will look at this in due course. :)

Page 1 of 1