WAN IP Address is failing now

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 am
stoney offline

WAN IP Address is failing now

I just returned from a week away and found Alexa unable to control my devices. The AH Bridge needed an update, so I did that, to 3.0.5. I saw this when I loaded or reloaded the plugin:

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Responder.run: socket error: 49 - Can't assign requested address

After some poking about, I discovered that it was trying to use my router's wan-side address instead of the server's own address. This seemed wrong, so I added the local address in the config dialog, and now it works again. Looking back in old logs, I saw that it has been using the wan-side address, and was showing the above error as well. It worked anyway, but I had to "discover devices" every few days when Alexa stopped being able to control them.

Is it supposed to work when using the wan-side address? That address has not changed in months.

My indigo server is running on a Mac Mini, OS X 10.12.6

Thanks for any clarifications.

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: WAN IP Address is failing now

I've never had to do anything at all with my IP addressing, forwarding or anything else - it just worked over NAT without any further config. I have six Echo's. I also never have to rediscover anything either.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: WAN IP Address is failing now

Your Mac's network config might be at fault here. The only way Python has to get the Mac's address is by doing a reverse lookup based on hostname. If your Mac is configured with a hostname that resolves to an external IP address then that's what the plugin is going to get. This usually happens when you have macOS Server installed but you may have configured it yourself that way.

I am somewhat surprised that it worked at all if that's the issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1