Unable to Discover Devices (FireTV)

Posted on
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm
Skiddy offline

Unable to Discover Devices (FireTV)

Not sure if anyone has got this working using the FireTV and Alexa App. I installed the Plugin, got it configured and added 2 devices. I also switched on discovery and all logging. When I use the FireTV to "discover devices" it returns almost immediately unable to find anything. Checking the Indigo Log, there is nothing added beyond what I have copied below.

I checked:-
"sudo lsof -i :1900" and nothing is using it (except the Alexa Plugin while in discovery mode)
I turned my firewall off during discovery
I unplugged my Gen 1 Hue bridge during discovery

Any ideas?

Code: Select all
Aug 31, 2017, 3:52:37 PM
   Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.5"
   Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.5" (pid 728)
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa discovery request logging enabled
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning        Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, Method Trace
   Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.5"
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge' Host: 192.168.1.101
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge' Host: 192.168.1.101
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                'Alexa Bridge' has 2 Alexa Devices published
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge' web server thread
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Bridge' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge checking for Plugin update
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Checking for updates...
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                No updates are available
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Alexa-Hue Bridge next update check scheduled for: Friday, 2017-Sep-01 at 15:52

Aug 31, 2017, 3:55:41 PM
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                'Alexa Bridge' updated and now has 2 Alexe Devices published

Posted on
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 pm
roussell offline

Re: Unable to Discover Devices (FireTV)

I was never able to successfully discover devices from ANY Fire device other than an Echo/Dot. Tried numerous FTVs, the Show, and several Fire tablets

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:26 am
autolog offline

Skiddy wrote:
... Any ideas?

You could turn on all the debugging, save the config, reload the plugin and once started you could try a Fire TV discovery. Assuming it doesn't work, either attach the log file as a file in a reply to this post or PM it to me. I will see if I can spot anything. :)

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 am
Skiddy offline

autolog wrote:
Skiddy wrote:
... Any ideas?

You could turn on all the debugging, save the config, reload the plugin and once started you could try a Fire TV discovery. Assuming it doesn't work, either attach the log file as a file in a reply to this post or PM it to me. I will see if I can spot anything. :)

Hi Jon... debugging was on hence my comment about seeing nothing else in the log.

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:48 am
autolog offline

When you turn on debugging, the plugin outputs debugging info to its own log, not the Indigo Event log (otherwise it would get flooded). :wink:

See this post on how to access the log. :)

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:48 pm
Skiddy offline

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your help. Here's a snippet of the log attached.
Attachments
PluginLog.txt
(167.52 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 pm
autolog offline

Thanks for the log. :)

I need to do a comparison against one of my logs (where discovery works) and see if I can identify any differences.
I have got a Fire TV and so I can use that to test to see if I can make any progress on this issue.

However, I am away this weekend and so I won't be able to pursue this further until early next week. :|

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 am
autolog offline

I have researched this a bit further and it appears you cannot discover Philips Hue devices from the FireTV. It seems that if you have already discovered Philips Hue devices (via the plugin) using an Echo, then you can control them from the FireTV. In fact I have tested this and it appears to be the case.

There is an interesting thread here: Does Alexa on FireTV / FireTV Stick support Philips Hue?
It describes the rather convoluted process that the FireTV goes through to control Philips Hue devices.

It seems to cover what is happening or more relevantly what is not happening.

So in summary, AFAICS it isn't going to work. :(

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Amazon has been less than consistent in how non-Echo devices deal with Hue hubs it seems... :roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm
Skiddy offline

Thanks Jon (and Jay) for your responses and taking the time to look into this.

Page 1 of 1