Echo Show not discovering

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am
jabeard3 offline

Echo Show not discovering

So I ordered the new echo show and I'm not able to discover devices. It discovers my Nest Thermostats without issue but not my Indigo devices... any ideas? I have a second echo that I'm going to play with later today as well... Anyone else have multiple Alexa devices and have issues?

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:53 am
jabeard3 offline

Re: Echo Show not discovering

FYI - I fired up my second echo and it correctly discovered all the devices... Does anyone else have an Echo Show?

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am
autolog offline

If you turn on all the debugging in the plugin config, save and then reload the plugin and then do an Echo Show discovery and I will take a look at the log.

See the forum Sticky Post on how to pick up the log.

You can either PM me the log - you will have to copy and paste it into a code block or attach the log as an attachment to a reply in this thread. :)

I haven't got an Echo Show as you can't get them in the UK yet but I will take a look and see if I can help. :)

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 am
jabeard3 offline

I've enabled debug but when I request the Echo Show to discover devices It doesn't even register in the logs.
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 2.0.11" (pid 631)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 2.0.11"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge Hue Bridge 'BasementVHue' Host: 192.168.7.253
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'BasementVHue' has 18 devices published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'BasementVHue' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'BasementVHue' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested

I then requested "Alexa discover devices" and she found my 4 nest thermostats but that is it.

The plugin is listening on 1900
administrators-Mac-mini:~ administrator$ sudo lsof -i :1900
Password:
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
IndigoPlu 631 administrator 12u IPv4 0x730bf13677c14ea1 0t0 UDP *:ssdp
administrators-Mac-mini:~ administrator$

And the webserver the plugin uses is running
administrators-Mac-mini:~ administrator$ sudo lsof -i :8178
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
IndigoPlu 631 administrator 10u IPv4 0x730bf13686d731c9 0t0 TCP unifi:8178 (LISTEN)
administrators-Mac-mini:~ administrator$

I've attached the plugin.log

thanks for the help
Attachments
plugin.log
(353.33 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Posted on
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 am
autolog offline

Not sure what to make of this at the moment :?

I assume that when you use the Echo Show to discover devices, that the device itself actually discovers them?

Posted on
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 am
jabeard3 offline

No, it does not discover any devices on the indigo virtual bridge. It is only discovering the 4 nest thermostats. I have not tried physically pressing the button my actual Hue bridge to see if it would discover my lights directly.. I don't particularly want those controlled directly as everything is grouped in Indigo.
So 2 Echo devices find everything no problem, the Show finds nothing related to Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 am
autolog offline

It's probably me but I am still a bit confused with what's happening here. :?

If I discover Indigo devices on one of my Echo's or Echo Dot's, then once the discovery completes on that device, I can control the Indigo devices from all my Echo's and Echo dots. The discovery is related to the Amazon Account. I assume all your devices are on the same Amazon Account?

So if you have successfully discovered Indigo devices via your Echo dots, can you control those devices via the Echo Show?

What does the iOS Alexa App show for discovered devices?

I am probably going to be a bit pushed to support this until the Echo Show becomes available in the UK. :|

Posted on
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Are you using a different Amazon account on your Show than you're using on your other Echos? Because AFAIK discovered devices are shared across all Echos connected to the same Amazon account, so discovering from one Echo should make them available to all. Same with discovering with the Alexa App.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm
jabeard3 offline

Hmm.. no. I am using a different account. The intention was for the show to be my wife's account.
If I publish devices to a new virtual bridge and initiate discovery from the show.. will that work? Why would devices not just be available for discovery if they are on the network regardless of account?

Posted on
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jabeard3 wrote:
Hmm.. no. I am using a different account. The intention was for the show to be my wife's account.
If I publish devices to a new virtual bridge and initiate discovery from the show.. will that work? Why would devices not just be available for discovery if they are on the network regardless of account?

No clue - the different account explains why the show isn't seeing the devices discovered by the other echos. I wonder if there's something wonky about using echos on two different accounts on the same network with the same hue hub (which the bridge emulates)? Have you tried using the show on your Amazon account just to see if it works with devices discovered by the other echos? Might be a worthwhile test.

The key is the lack of any broadcast activity in the plugin's log when you attempt to discover - that means that there is something different in how the show is doing discovery from the other echo devices. No idea what that could be.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:17 am
jabeard3 offline

Sorry, was away for a bit.
So I registered my Echo to my wife's Amazon account and it shows correctly in the logs etc and controls all my registered devices..

The Show, regardless of which account it has registered, does not show in the discovery process and doesn't control devices. It thinks for 10 seconds and then says that the device is not responding
It does recognize the device name however it can't seem to send the command. If I give it a name of a device that doesn't exist, it correctly tells me that it doesn't find a device by that name.

So, based on my analysis, it appears to be something different with the Show vs the echo. I don't have a dot... so I can't play with that.

Again, it was able to discover the nest thermostats.... but perhaps the discovery and command process for the hue lights is different.

As always, any help is appreciated,

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Echo and Echo dot (I have both) seem to work identically. I have no idea what the show might be doing differently.

Given that it doesn't work correctly even after discovery, I can only speculate that the Hue integration for it is somehow different. Actually, I suppose it's possible that Amazon has deprecated the built-in Hue support, perhaps in favor of an Alexa skill developed by Philips. If so, this could be bad news if the decide to remove it in future upgrades to the Echo/dot.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

One other thing you can try: connect the Alexa app on your iOS device to the account that doesn't have any devices discovered. Then attempt to do the discover in the Alexa app and see if it finds any.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm
jabeard3 offline

Jay -
The devices show under both accounts now however I cannot control them from the Show. There must be something different about the way it is trying to call the "bridge".

Posted on
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I wonder if it’s a bug in the show’s firmware. Has anyone tried the show with an actual Hue Hub (outside of Indigo)?

Jay (Indigo Support)