Alexa-Hue Bridge Version 2.0.11

Posted on
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 am
yassi offline

Re: Alexa-Hue Bridge Version 2.0.11

Hi Jon,

well, both are Dots :D
That's true, the discovery is done for devices I have.

I will try this afternoon again when I'm at home at will let you know.

Yassi

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 am
yassi offline

Jon, seems to be working now, no idea what it was...

Thx,
Yassi

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:08 am
ckeyes888 offline

Anything happening on the controlling Alexa from Indigo front?
e.g. Sending it a command to start a playlist without the voice command.
Seem to keep having more and more need for it.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:58 pm
autolog offline

Not AFAIK :)

You could always put a speaker next to the Echo and get Indigo to say via the speaker 'Alexa play playlist' or similar. :D

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

ckeyes888 wrote:
e.g. Sending it a command to start a playlist without the voice command. Seem to keep having more and more need for it.

Wait, what? Alexa works solely by voice commands. Can you describe what you're talking about more?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:17 pm
ckeyes888 offline

It would be great to be able to control Alexa with Indigo actions, where button presses
could start Alexa music playlists etc.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

AFAIK, that's not possible. The last time I looked at the skill API it didn't support that kind of interaction.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:12 pm
agame offline

hey I want to implement an action that auto switches off lights only if they haven't been manually switched on recently.

I have zwave switches, so thats achievable by monitoring zwave commands to detect a manual switch-on event.

I'm trying to get my head around how to treat Alexa switch-on as 'manual' events just like a physical button press (or will they look like normal zwave events - presumably not....?!) Unless I'm mistaken there is no 'alexa/hue bridge event' exposed to triggers?

any thoughts??

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not off the top of my head.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am
macrhino offline

I have been using the Hue Bridge to link to virtual devices with Amazon Echos. This has worked fine until yesterday. Now, whenever I issue a "turn on" or any command which requires interaction with the Hue Bridge plugin I get the error from Alexa.

"I'm not quite sure what went wrong".

The plugin is running and nothing appears in the Indigo log. When I issue the "Discover devices" command, the Indigo log shows the devices being discovered and they work in Indigo.

The echos also control other hubs in my home. Only this one part has failed but since this is my interface to Indigo, it is the bulk of my automation.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Sorry, I have no idea what that might mean. Have you restarted your Echo device(s)?

When you issue the command, do you see any debug activity from the bridge plugin in the Event Log (make sure you have all the debug options turned on)?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm
agame offline

jay (support) wrote:
Not off the top of my head.

I think I have the basis of a work-around: have Alexa turn on a virtual switch rather than the actual device. Actions from the virtual switch to turn on zwave switch. Reset virtual switch to off when wave switch goes off.

would be nicer if the bridge exposed an event :)

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, that sounds like it would work.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:15 pm
richy240 offline

macrhino wrote:
I have been using the Hue Bridge to link to virtual devices with Amazon Echos. This has worked fine until yesterday. Now, whenever I issue a "turn on" or any command which requires interaction with the Hue Bridge plugin I get the error from Alexa.

"I'm not quite sure what went wrong".

The plugin is running and nothing appears in the Indigo log. When I issue the "Discover devices" command, the Indigo log shows the devices being discovered and they work in Indigo.

The echos also control other hubs in my home. Only this one part has failed but since this is my interface to Indigo, it is the bulk of my automation.

I would appreciate any assistance.

This has been happening to me too. I've found that restarting the plugin fixes it temporarily, but overall it's very unstable for me and stops working multiple times per day.

I know it's not the Hue Hub, as the Hue app works perfectly. I can also trigger the same actions manually that Alexa would be triggering, so I *know* it's not Indigo...

EDIT: This *may* be related to a problem with one of my Virtual Device Groups. I had to "reset" it by basically saving the devices' states again, otherwise I was getting some errors in the Event Log. Now that I reset it, things have been smooth sailing. Will keep an eye on it...

EDIT 2: Nope, still fails multiple times per day. Restarting the plugin fixes the problem, but it's SUPER annoying at best and down right infuriating at worst. Now that voice control has become the standard in my house to an extent, this problem is causing a lot of headaches.

EDIT 3: I figured out that some of the ports were in use so it was failing. Once I specified ports for each bridge, everything fell into place. I should have read the logs in more detail, but I had debugging turned on for another plugin, so the log was getting difficult to read pretty quickly and I missed the error. SORRY!
Last edited by richy240 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 pm
mrmatt68 offline

Does this require internet to work or will the echo and indigo communicate via local area network. I am guessing the amazon device needs to communicate with a server to understand voice commands? I have crappy intermittent satellite internet is why I am asking. I understand I need internet for other functions of the amazon device.

Edit: if I add zigbee lights to the amazon device directly will indigo be able to control them? And would the amazon device need internet for this function? I had a wink device but everything went through a server and was an absolute nightmare with my internet and I am trying to understand how this works before hand.