Alexa Not Displaying Discovered Devices

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 pm
caseyz offline

Alexa Not Displaying Discovered Devices

Just upgraded to v7 and installed v2 of the Alexa Hue Bridge. Setup went fine, Alexa discovered my devices and I can control them via voice control. However, the devices are not showing up at http://alexa.amazon.com. When I go to Smart Home it says no devices have been discovered. Any ideas?

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa Not Displaying Discovered Devices

Nope. All of mine are showing up fine. Sounds like some issue on Amazon's side, particularly if they're showing up in the Alexa app (they should mirror each other).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:49 pm
caseyz offline

They don't show up in the Alexa app either.

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, that's very odd. If they're not showing up in the Alexa app they shouldn't be controllable. Are you sure your echo is connected to the same Amazon account as your Alexa app? How did you get the Echo to discover? If you did it by asking it to discover devices, then I have to think that somehow your Echo is not connected to the same account or they'd be showing in all places.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 pm
caseyz offline

You're correct, it did map them to a different account. Even though I have access to Alexa from my Amazon account, it only shows the devices on my wife's account. I did the discovery by voice command and her account is the default account. Amazon still has a ways to go with multiple users on Alexa. Thanks for the help.

Posted on
Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 pm
Pilott28 offline

Forgive me for asking a basic question ... do I need to set up a Hue Account and install the alexa Hue skill? I have the plug in installed and the emulator up with devices published as directed in the documentation, but alexa can't find my devices and I'm thinking this may be the problem.

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:44 am
autolog offline

Pilott28 wrote:
Forgive me for asking a basic question ... do I need to set up a Hue Account and install the alexa Hue skill? I have the plug in installed and the emulator up with devices published as directed in the documentation, but alexa can't find my devices and I'm thinking this may be the problem.

No you don't need to set up a Hue Account or install the Alexa Hue skill. :)

Are you running the latest version (v2.0.11) ?

Have you checked port 1900 as per this post: Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Logs + Port 1900 Check

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 am
Pilott28 offline

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am running the latest version. The installation, configuration, publication and discovery functions for the plug-in all went smoothly and aligned with the documentation.

I'll double check the port today but this is a dedicated home automation Mac Mini ... the only thing running is Indigo V7.

Alexa is working fine with other skills, such as the Harmony Remote.

I suspect I am missing something simple.

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:37 pm
Pilott28 offline

Ok, still not working.

All software is up to date, rebooted machine to make sure everything was fresh
Only app running is Indigo
Device listing shows the hue bridge emulation and discovery is on
One device is shown as published (I have only published one light as a test)
The Indigo logs show that the plug in has started successfully, one device is published and discovery is on
A check of the terminal shows that the plug-in is the only thing running on port 1900
All other Indigo and Alexa functions, including reflector, are functioning normally
Everything is logged into the same wifi network

Alexa looks for devices for about 15 seconds and then reports there is nothing found.

What else is there to check?

Thanks for the help.

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:15 pm
autolog offline

OK - I am a bit tied up for the next day or so but things to check/do:

• How are you discovering devices, via the Alexa App or by telling Alexa to "discover devices": The latter is more reliable in my experience.
  • Are you running a firewall that could be preventing communication between your Alexa device and your Mac running Indigo?
  • If neither of the above work then you can PM me your Alexa log to see if I can spot anything (but this might take a day or two). To do this turn on all debugging and save those config options, then reload the plugin, wait for the plugin to initialise, then discover devices. When the discovery is ended you can retrieve the log and PM it to me. (the earlier post refers to how to get the log)

Hopefully we can discover what the issue is and sort it for you. :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 pm
autolog offline

One other thought, have you got ethernet and wi-fi enabled on the Mac? I think I read a post from Jay that states that this could cause a problem - not sure of the detail though. I run my Mac on ethernet only and obviously Alexa devices over wifi and all on the same subnet. :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:17 pm
Pilott28 offline

Thanks Jon.

To answer your first question, I have tried discovery through the Alexa device and also from the smart home menu on the ios app. They both render the same result ... no devices found. I have read through this topic thread in the forum and tried a number of things that were suggested but haven't hit on the problem yet.

This mac mini has always used wifi for home and internet connectivity. It is working, as I can control devices from the indigo app on my iphone through the reflector and browse the internet. Both devices are on the same home wifi network.

I will turn on debugging and get you snaps of the logs. Appreciate your help and understand that it might take a bit of time to debug the problem.

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 am
Pilott28 offline

Well, I brought up the configuration screen, turned on all the logging, and lo and behold, Alexa found the device. I had reloaded the plug in multiple times, rebooted the computer multiple times and tried everything else multiple times to no avail, but turning on logging made the difference, though this doesn't seem logical.

Next question ... I would like to publish all the lights in my theater as a group. It doesn't look like the emulated bridge can publish an action group, so I would need to construct a virtual device. This option is greyed out. I have perused the forums for a simple method and can't easily find one. Is this a plug in?

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 am
autolog offline

To enable Virtual Devices,

Main Indigo Menu > Interfaces > Virtual Devices > Enable :)

Posted on
Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:17 pm
Pilott28 offline

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1