Alexa has discovered duplicate devices

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:23 pm
gadgetnut offline

Alexa has discovered duplicate devices

Since upgrading to Alexa-Hue Bridge v. 2.0.7, the correct number of devices appears in the Indigo emulated Hue bridge>Edit Device>Published Devices section but when you ask Alexa to discover devices, she finds duplicate devices for a couple of them, for example, "Kitchen Lights.." And this duplication renders Alexa control inoperative... she says, "I found multiple items with the name Kitchen Lights." Though we had challenges with the earlier Alexa-Hue bridge plugin, never this particular duplication.

I have one virtual on/off device called Kitchen Lights which controls an Action Group of multiple devices. In the Alexa app I have forgotten/deleted all devices and rediscovered and she still finds a few duplicates but not every device is duplicated. When I manually delete one of the duplications from the Alexa Smart Home devices section, Alexa returns to normal control but then later duplicates seem to creep back in and control breaks.

I want to reiterate I don't see duplicate devices in Indigo 7>Emulated Hue Bridge>Edit Device Settings>Published Devices. What I've not yet tried is to delete all Published Devices, then Save, in Indigo, maybe restart the computer and republish all devices to the bridge.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 pm
autolog offline

Re: Alexa has discovered duplicate devices

Is it always the same devices that are duplicated?

How many bridge devices are you running and I assume you are only running one copy of the plugin on one Mac i.e. you haven't got a test system running as well; as Alexa will discover devices on multiple Macs running the plugin? :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:52 pm
gadgetnut offline

Thank you, Jon. It's my understanding we are running one single bridge device and one copy of the plugin on one Mac only but I will confirm and check back here. Thanks again.

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:55 pm
Turribeach offline

I got the same issue, but I am still on Indigo 6 and 1.0.3 Release. Obviously I can only have one single bridge as multiple Alexa-Hue bridges is supported in v2 of the plugin. Here are two screen shots showing the plugin defined devices and the Alexa app showing the duplicates. In my case the repeated devices tend to be the same (I think). I usually just "Forget" the most recent one, but every now and then they appear again. I also had a case where all devices were showing "offline" and I had to reload the plugin and run a discovery to have them back again showing up properly in the Alexa app. Any ideas what's going on here?

ManageDevices.png
ManageDevices.png (112.95 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

IMG_9664.PNG
IMG_9664.PNG (65.74 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

Posted on
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you tried forgetting everything and then rediscovering?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 pm
Turribeach offline

Just did this and the duplicates came back again. It seems to always duplicate the same 2 (Mac Mini and Netflix). Any ideas?

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

And you're sure you don't have an Indigo server running on a different Mac? Maybe one that used to run Indigo?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 am
Turribeach offline

Nope. 1 Mac only.

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hmmm. If you manually delete one of the dup devices (in the Alexa app) do they work correctly?

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. Are you sure that you don't have two different devices published for each of those names?

Did you at any point in the past have those two names published against different devices? Maybe as testing? Then deleted the old device and create new versions? Just grasping at straws here.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am
Turribeach offline

Oh man you are going to kill me, it's a classic PEBKAC problem! Look at my screen shot, I defined the same alias for too different devices (AV Netflix and AV Movie Mode). Obviously my fault but couldn't the plugin prevent this? I will get it sorted on my side but sounds like somebody else as "clever" as me could fall for this again...

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Turribeach wrote:
Oh man you are going to kill me, it's a classic PEBKAC problem! Look at my screen shot, I defined the same alias for too different devices (AV Netflix and AV Movie Mode). Obviously my fault but couldn't the plugin prevent this? I will get it sorted on my side but sounds like somebody else as "clever" as me could fall for this again...

;)

Autolog may have updated the 2.0 version to handle this case. v1 is no longer being actively developed.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
... Autolog may have updated the 2.0 version to handle this case. v1 is no longer being actively developed.

Fortunately I can confirm it is already handled in Version 2.0 :D

alexa_duplicate_name_error.png
Alexa duplicate Name Error
alexa_duplicate_name_error.png (92.84 KiB) Viewed 3324 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm
Turribeach offline

Nice one. I will be moving to v2.0 as soon as I have time to do the Indigo upgrade. No point in buying now as busy on other projects.

Page 1 of 1