SERVER: FreeRTOS/7.4.2, UPnP/1.0, IpBridge/1.7.0
NTS: ssdp:alive
NT: uuid:a256f166-c7db-11e6-a2a4-685b35b6a083
USN: uuid:a256f166-c7db-11e6-a2a4-685b35b6a083

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:32 am
autolog offline

Re: Alexa not finding Indigo

Are we talking about the same issue - what does you iMac show when you try the commands above? :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:39 am
Brady offline

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with changing network interfaces after installing Indigo/Python??

I am in the middle of moving to a new Mac... When I initially installed I was on WiFi (eth1). Afterward I moved to a hardwired ethernet connection (eth0) gethostname is not working.

I just tried moving back to the wifi and disabling the ethernet connection...lo and behold! Python gets an accurate IP address.

clawmd, does that make any sense for your situation? Would you have changed network interfaces at some point on your Mac?

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 am
autolog offline

clawmd wrote:

I think our posts crossed in the ether :wink:

It would be useful to see the results of the commands mentioned above, namely:
Code: Select all
python
import socket
socket.gethostname()
and
Code: Select all
python
import socket
socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())
What I am not sure about is your LOCATION IP Address starting with '50' - I thought that all LAN IP addresses had to start with 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x - I could be wrong though? I am wondering if this is related to your issue.

I am just doing a change to allow the Host IP Address to be entered in the Plugin Config dialogue (as an override option). :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:37 pm
autolog offline

auto log wrote:
... I am just doing a change to allow the Host IP Address to be entered in the Plugin Config dialogue (as an override option). :)

I have just uploaded V2.0.9 to Github - allows you to specify the Host IP Address - It may help? :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:58 pm
Brady offline

autolog wrote:
auto log wrote:
... I am just doing a change to allow the Host IP Address to be entered in the Plugin Config dialogue (as an override option). :)

I have just uploaded V2.0.9 to Github - allows you to specify the Host IP Address - It may help? :)

This seems to have done the trick for me. Alexa has just discovered my devices on my problematic ethernet connection. Really hoping that this also helps clawmd, since I kind of hijacked his thread. :-) (edit: not clawmd's thread, hope it is successful nonetheless.)

I'm going to continue research on why Python can't accurately get the IP address of my ethernet connection. I fear this may come up again in the future with other plugins.

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm
clawmd offline

Success!! I downloaded 2.0.9 and entered the appropriate IP address. I haven't done any testing beyond getting devices discovered, but my guess is that the issue is solved. Thanks for figuring it out

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:53 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'm going to continue research on why Python can't accurately get the IP address of my ethernet connection. I fear this may come up again in the future with other plugins.

We have seen/had this happen multiple times (including to myself) whenever your computer has either multiple network interfaces active or is connected to the outside world in some way. For examples, if it is setup with a hostname of a dynamic DNS service. In these cases you have the possibility that it binds to an internet adapter with either an external IP address or a self-assigned (if the interface is somehow active but not connected). Either way, this will stop Alexa discovery.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:59 pm
autolog offline

Hoping that I am not speaking too soon - it looks like we can flag this particular thread as [SOLVED]. :D

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 pm
kbwidener offline

Being the originator of the thread, it works for me now :D . For some reason when I run the Python commands, I get an external IP. However, putting in the correct IP from ifconfig, I'm able to control via Alexa. Thanks!

Kevin