Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin

This plugin allows Indigo devices to be controlled by Amazon Alexa devices (Echo, Echo Dot, FireTV, etc).

All versions of the plugin are available in the releases section of the Github Repo for the plugin. You can also report bugs there as well. Use this forum to post questions about the plugin itself.

See the Github repo's landing page for the documentation on how to use the plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin

A new release (v2.0.2) is available in the Github Repo.

Please report any bugs as issues on the Github repo. We're moving this plugin to the community supported model, so let's move bug reports there as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:26 am
Dewster35 offline

Does 2.02 require anything if you had the previous plugin? Upgraded to Indigo 7 and also to the latest plugin version and my devices are not responding.

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 am
autolog offline

Have you read the documentation in the ReadMe on how to install and set-up the new plugin - see https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/alexa-hue-bridge

I am not clear from your post if you have defined a hue bridge device or just installed the new plugin without doing anything more? :)

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:59 pm
Sharek326 offline

I just bought a Amazon Dot today and set it up. I downloaded the plugin and followed the directions on setting up the Hue Bridge. I added about 5 lights just to test it. I put the Hue Bridge in discovery and asked Alex to discover items. She looks for 20 seconds an returns with no Devices could be discovered. I feel like I am just missing something basic.....am I?

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:40 pm
autolog offline

Difficult to tell what is going on here. :?

As a test, can you try editing the Hue Bridge settings for Expiration in Minutes and set to 0 (i.e. run discovery until stopped).
Save the settings and then then reload the plugin from the plugins menu and once the plugin has restarted retry the Alexa discovery.

I am sure we will get you going. :)

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 pm
Sharek326 offline

I did what you said....Dot tries to find comes back with I did not discovery any devices..... Here is what the Hue Bridge looks like

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 pm
autolog offline

That looks like it should AFAICS. :?

We might need to look at some logs - I will follow up with you tomorrow as it is now past midnight here in the UK. :|

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:43 am
Sharek326 offline

I started clean with a fresh install of Yosemite and Alex still says she can not discover any devices. I currently only have one device in one Hue Bridge. I check for other programs broadcasting and there aren't any. Is the Echo Dot included in this plugin?

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:00 am
autolog offline

Sharek326 wrote:
I started clean with a fresh install of Yosemite and Alex still says she can not discover any devices. I currently only have one device in one Hue Bridge. I check for other programs broadcasting and there aren't any. Is the Echo Dot included in this plugin?

Yes the Dot is included. :)

I have just run a test on my system (El Capitan). I have one Echo and six Dots. I used the Dot for testing.

To test, I deleted all devices from my Indigo Hue Bridge Devices, Deleted the Hue Bridge devices, disabled the plugin and then deleted the plugin to start from square one.
I then used the Alexa App to forget all devices.
I downloaded the Alexa-Hue Bridge (v2.0.2) from Github and installed it.
I then defined a Hue-Bridge and added 9 devices (LIFX lamps) to the Hue-Bridge and saved it.
I then asked Echo (Dot) to discover devices.
On the first attempt none were found. I tried again and nine devices were discovered and the voice commands to turn them on and off work. :)

So at least I have put my mind at rest that from a cold start it works (on my system). We just need to work out why it isn't working on yours. :?

Just to double check that you have run the command in the documentation for checking for other apps that using UPNP port 1900?

Can you try to do a discover again - though I guess you have already done this.

If it still doesn't work, can you turn on all the debug options in the plugin config, save the config settings and then reload the plugin.
Wait a couple of minutes and then get Alexa to do a discover devices.
Once the discovery has ended, please PM me the log so that I can look at what is going on.

The log can be found by clicking Show Event Logs folder in the Event Log window and the log I want to see is called plugin.log in the opensource.alexa-hue-bridge folder. :)

Posted on
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 am
Dewster35 offline

autolog wrote:
Have you read the documentation in the ReadMe on how to install and set-up the new plugin - see https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/alexa-hue-bridge

I am not clear from your post if you have defined a hue bridge device or just installed the new plugin without doing anything more? :)

I did just update the plugin and added a new hue bridge device and somehow ended up with duplicate instances and all were offline and not responding. I ended up clearing everything and starting from zero... I only had a handful of devices I was controlling anyway and I was able to get it up and running ago.

Page 1 of 1