Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin (old locked topic)

Posted on
Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Re: Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin

I use a number of virtual devices with Alexa that when their device states change some other way
than Alexa, a trigger disables the Alexa fired trigger for a few seconds, then changes the virtual device
to sync with the device's actual state.

Been working fine for me.

Carl

Posted on
Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 am
Japple55 offline

jay (support) wrote:
There is no built-in way to know where a device change came from. I agree with rehafer - if you create a virtual device that's only controlled via the Alexa, then the action group that performs the OFF can also disable the motion sensor.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I started down the virtual device route and then had an idea. I always execute an action group "bedtime" on my way to bed. This arms my alarm system and turns off lights in sequence as I make my way to the bedroom. The person that does this would be the last into the bedroom, so I just added an action group to "bedtime" to disable all interior motion sensor triggers, and added an action to re-enable them in my morning "wake up" routine. The perimeter is armed so I don't use the motions for any alarm functions. We'll see how it goes.

Jim

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:03 am
CarlSchulz offline

I just installed the Alexa Plugin. However, I am getting an error:

Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3" (pid 12248)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Debugging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Computer has no host name specified. Check the Sharing system preference and restart the plugin once the name is resolved.
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug refreshDeviceList called
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 383225286 - Dad's Chair
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 794620051 - Driveway Floods
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 1496960618 - Front Porch Light
Alexa-Hue Bridge 3 devices published
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting hue bridge web server and discovery threads

The error says I do not have a host name specified. Checked Mac System Prefs and I think that i have this set. Not sure where else to check.

Carl

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:30 am
CarlSchulz offline

I have published (3) devices. I do note an error ... but the log shows that the devices were published. However, when I check my hue bridge none of these devices are there:

Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3" (pid 12248)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Debugging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Computer has no host name specified. Check the Sharing system preference and restart the plugin once the name is resolved.
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug refreshDeviceList called
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 383225286 - Dad's Chair
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 794620051 - Driveway Floods
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 1496960618 - Front Porch Light
Alexa-Hue Bridge 3 devices published
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting hue bridge web server and discovery threads

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:44 pm
michaelu offline

I must be missing something.

I've had alexa for a few weeks, i'm able to connect all my other skills etc. I have Indigo 6, long time user. I've disabled the old Hue Lights plugin but no matter what i do Alexa won't see the discovery process, it always finds the 11 Phlips devices on my network, even if i unplug the Hue bridge (v1)

I've set the discovery times from 0 - 4 minutes, i've tried starting discovery before and after i start Alexe-Hue Bridge discovery. They are both on the same LAN, but the Indigo machine is wired and the Alexa is Wifi but it's the same Airport network.

I just feel like I'm missing something obvious and hope for some help, i've setup a test device and shows up in published devices in the 'Manage Devices' Pane.

Anybody got the obvious thing I'm missing here?

Any help is appreciated!

_MichaelU

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:52 pm
Japple55 offline

@michaelu, have you deleted the devices from the Alexa app too before running the discovery?

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:58 pm
michaelu offline

Yes, i have removed all devices from the Alexa iOS app multiple times, I've also ran the lsof -i :1900 and zero results every time.

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:03 pm
Japple55 offline

Sorry, that's all I could think of. Someone else will chime in, I'm sure.

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

CarlSchulz wrote:

Open the Sharing System Preference and click the Edit... button under the Computer Name field. If you have Use dynamic global hostname checked, uncheck it. Otherwise make sure there's a simple host name there. If there already is, let us know what it is.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

michaelu wrote:
it always finds the 11 Phlips devices on my network, even if i unplug the Hue bridge (v1)

So, if you use the Alexa app to forget all devices, unplug the Hue bridge, then discover, it still finds the 11 hue devices?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:46 am
CarlSchulz offline

jay (support) wrote:
CarlSchulz wrote:

Open the Sharing System Preference and click the Edit... button under the Computer Name field. If you have Use dynamic global hostname checked, uncheck it. Otherwise make sure there's a simple host name there. If there already is, let us know what it is.

Ok I confirmed my machine name in sharing system prefs: CAS3MacMini1

I also confirmed in Terminal:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 8.44.36 AM.png
Screen Shot of Terminal HOSTNAME command
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 8.44.36 AM.png (99.35 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 8.41.25 AM.png
Screen Shot of System Prefs
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 8.41.25 AM.png (26.47 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Do you have multiple network interfaces enabled (like ethernet and WiFi)?

Paste the following line into a Terminal window:

Code: Select all
python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostname()"

What's returned?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:02 am
akimball offline

Not to pulsus a mortuus equus but I'm mostly very happy about this plugin and the Amazon Echo and the Amazon Dot which I am currently using and I know this is an Amazon firmware ecosystem issue. I can't use generic terms for them which are room (or zone) specific. As I mentioned in previous posts, "Turn off the ceiling" should turn off the ceiling of the room you're standing in, depending on which Amazon device picked up your request. For now, I have the Echo in the greatroom/kitchen area where I'm using it with generic device labels, and when I'm in the master bedroom with the Amazon Dot (love that dot... stereo output jack!!!) I just have to remember to preface all commands with "bedroom"... yuck.

Anyway, I'm writing yet again about this only because I've noticed something that gives me hope that soon Amazon will allow a better "zone specific" and larger set of devices to be integrated: When I set a wakeup alarm on the Amazon Dot, it is SPECIFIC to the Amazon Dot and doesn't duplicate itself on the Amazon Echo in the greatroom. What does this mean? It means that the software guys at Amazon do in fact know which device you are talking to and can issue commands to and via that specific device. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they allow to be extended to N devices, and make those devices specific to a given Amazon Gizmo.... because I want one of these Amazon Dot's, with stereo output for all 7 bedrooms, one for the family room, one for each of the two offices, one for the sitting room, one for the garage, and one for my hamster cage, and in each of those areas, if I say "turn on the light" I want the light, in that area, to respond.

I realize there is nothing that the plugin can currently do with this issue... I just have renewed hope that Amazon Software guys will soon see the (verbose bedroom) light... er, yeah. I write about this to Amazon often... because it makes no sense that they would cripple the Echo/Dot in this manner. I encourage my fellow verbose Indigo users to also prod Amazon a bit to make it so.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:37 am
CarlSchulz offline

jay (support) wrote:
Do you have multiple network interfaces enabled (like ethernet and WiFi)?

Paste the following line into a Terminal window:

python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostname()"

What's returned?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 1.34.42 PM.png
Network interfaces - ethernet only for the Mac Mini.
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 1.34.42 PM.png (199.79 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 1.32.49 PM.png
results of terminal command
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 1.32.49 PM.png (142.24 KiB) Viewed 4042 times

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok, try this:

python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostbyname(socket.gethostname())"

You can just paste in the results into a Code block - no need to post picts (which are large).

Jay (Indigo Support)