Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin (old locked topic)

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:02 am
wiery offline

Re: Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin

I can't get alexa to pick up my Indigo published devices. All responses returned to check IP and hostname by python seem correct, upnp port is listening on UDP 1900, disabled all other plugins that may conflict. Am just wondering would the likes of little snitch be blocking the request from Echo ? I don't think it does any LAN blocking however. Mac mini connected by wired connection. Any ideas ?

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

One easy way to see - disable little snitch and see if it makes a difference. Be sure to restart the plugin after you disable it.

Also, turn on debugging in the plugin then do a discover in the Alexa app. You should see a bunch of stuff scrolling by, including each device you've published via the bridge.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:56 am
wiery offline

With little snitch disabled and debugging on, i get the below, however I never get any entries when alexa discovery is running

7 Oct 2016, 15:54:40
Reloading plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Stopping plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3" (pid 31731)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Shutting down hue bridge web server
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Httpd.stop called
Stopped plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3" (pid 32404)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug Debugging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Thread debugging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug refreshDeviceList called
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 115105360 - Sitting Room Blinds Virtual Device Group
Alexa-Hue Bridge Debug found published device: 1143277812 - Somfy Jack's Room Blind
Alexa-Hue Bridge 2 devices published
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1.0.3"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting hue bridge web server and discovery threads
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Httpd.run called
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Httpd.run SocketServer.ThreadingTCPServer
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Httpd.run calling server.serve_forever()
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Broadcaster.__init__ is running
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Broadcaster.run called
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Broadcaster.run: sending first broadcast:
NOTIFY * HTTP/1.1
HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
CACHE-CONTROL: max-age=100
SERVER: FreeRTOS/7.4.2, UPnP/1.0, IpBridge/1.7.0
NTS: ssdp:alive
NT: uuid:64b1ede3-8a2c-11e6-bd47-a82066553bf3
USN: uuid:64b1ede3-8a2c-11e6-bd47-a82066553bf3

Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Responder.__init__ is running
Alexa-Hue Bridge Thread Debug Responder.run called

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

OK, that means that the plugin isn't receiving any queries from the Echo. The Echo may not be seeing the UPnP broadcast (sent by the plugin as shown in your log). Or the Echo for some reason isn't querying the URL specified in the broadcast. You can insert that URL into a browser on your Network and make sure it's replying with an XML reply.

You might want to wait for a few minutes after the plugin starts up before doing discovery - some users have reported that doing it too quickly after the plugin starts causes this behavior (though I have no idea how that's possible).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 am
wiery offline

I did check earlier and can see the devices in browser. I did notice something strange, I can't ping the echo from multiple devices, is icon blocked by echo or something I need to investigate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:37 pm
wiery offline

Time fixed it Jay ;) all good now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 am
Busta999 offline

Just wanted to say a LOUD THANKS to Jay for this.

Got the Echo when it came out in the UK.

Having LOADS of fun with it and Indigo.

Got Alexa controlling whole house audio (AirPlay speakers around the house) from my iTunes library, preset playlists/ streaming radio.

Also got it charging up screwdrivers and wind cleaner batteries then shutting off chargers 2:30 later.

The latest one is "Barry Mode" sets all the Hue lights to low colourful levels, sets all other lights off or low around the house, sets whole house audio (airfoil, airplay,iTunes ) to play Barry White, cheesy but fun :-)

Anyway - thanks again.

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:54 pm
durosity offline

+1 on Barry mode.. what an awesome idea!

Also what are wind cleaners?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am
Busta999 offline

Sorry Window Cleaner :oops:

It is the Karcher Window Cleaner - A fantastic window cleaner/vac that does a great job of cleaning windows.

I got it originally because the back of the house was all glass and facing the ocean, and used to get salt water and bits all over them.

The Karcher window cleaner made very short work of cleaning these floor to ceiling windows :-)

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 am
durosity offline

Hehe ahh that makes sense! Although wind cleaners sounds like something you'd see on dragons den!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:43 pm
Brady offline

Anybody happen to pick up a Google Home today? I'm toying with the idea of picking one up tomorrow to see if it will work with this plug in. Hue is one of the only smart home partners with Google at launch and depending on how they implemented support, I think this plugin *might* work.

Would I be crazy for trying this? The Google Home seems to be a lot better at general questions & answers. Might be nice to have around. Only down side is what I assume is inevitable native Alexa support in Indigo 7 and Dots are so cheap to just throw around the house........

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 pm
Brady offline

Looks like someone already beat me to the Google Home and the plugin isn't working

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=12840&p=125690&hilit=Google+Home#p125690

I did see somewhere that Google might have hardcoded the port it looks for to be the same as actual Hue hub (port 80 I think...) Still thinking of picking one put to see if I can debug it a bit.

Posted on
Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:14 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Anybody happen to pick up a Google Home today? I'm toying with the idea of picking one up tomorrow to see if it will work with this plug in. Hue is one of the only smart home partners with Google at launch and depending on how they implemented support, I think this plugin *might* work.

Like @Brady said, it currently is not working but I plan on giving it a go this weekend... was going to tonight but might actually be tomorrow night before I get a chance.

Would I be crazy for trying this? The Google Home seems to be a lot better at general questions & answers. Might be nice to have around. Only down side is what I assume is inevitable native Alexa support in Indigo 7 and Dots are so cheap to just throw around the house........

Depending upon how they end up implementing the native Actions for Assistant (due next month), well lets just say that implementing that would be VERY high on the Domotics Pad radar! :-)

Posted on
Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:17 pm
Brady offline

Google Home is for sure looking for the Hue bridge only on port 80. I changed the plugin to use port 80, but no luck so far. Pretty sure anything under 1024 is a privileged port and needs root permissions to start listening.

Running on 8177

http://192.168.1.10:8177/description.xml loads fine

Running on 80

http://192.168.1.10:80/description.xml times out

The OpenHAB peeps have got their plugin running. their only callouts are that it must be on port 80 and for them it must be plugin 3.2.0 or later as that is when they changed to a newer discovery process mimicking newer Hue hub firmware. Not sure if this bridge plug in uses the older or newer discovery process (or what the difference actually is).

For the right person (not me) I'm sure this could be fairly easily resolved. If it requires more significant work than I expect... might be worth just waiting for their upcoming developer API. I've got 1 Amazon Dot & 1 Google Home and an itch to go all in on one... but it may be too early to decide!

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:22 pm
ryanmck offline

I loaded the Hues Pluggin. I started discovery on the Indigo Software. Alexa cannot find the devices. Any suggestions? I restarted the devices and the MAc