Constant network data usage

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 am
DVDDave offline

Constant network data usage

I installed early in January Homebridge Buddy and just got a notice from Comcast that I am almost at my data allocation. Looking at my network bandwidth with Activity Monitor, Homebridge Buddy is the only significant process in constant use. It's not a huge amount, maybe 50 kB/s up and down but it's like burning a lightbulb 24 hours a day and ends up being a significant contributor to the increased usage.

When I disable Homebridge Buddy and go back to a plain Homebridge installation, the constant network usage goes away. I've tried playing with various configuration items and nothing seems to affect the bandwidth used.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Constant network data usage

What version of HBB do you have? 1.0.1? I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that goes to the network unless it's an add-on like IFTTT or iTunes. You could try installing the latest one on Git to see if it changes anything. Now one thing it DOES do is it contacts Homebridge when there is an update to a device that is linked between Indigo and HB but that shouldn't impact your Internet usage.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 am
DVDDave offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
What version of HBB do you have? 1.0.1? I cannot think of anything off the top of my head that goes to the network unless it's an add-on like IFTTT or iTunes. You could try installing the latest one on Git to see if it changes anything.

I originally was using 1.0.1 and changed to 1.0.6 for that reason. No change.

Could someone please try disabling the plugin and check Activity Monitor to see the effect on Data Sent and Received/sec? This would tell us if it is just my system that has the issue. Thanks!

--Dave

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I just restarted mine and watched the network activity, it doesn't seem out of control. I think that my prolific logging may be what you are seeing but that would only impact local traffic, not Internet traffic. I consumed a lot of traffic on startup (when I'm doing the most logging and also when I'm talking to Homebridge over the network and when Homebridge is talking to Indigo over the network) but it's still fairly small - 1.9MB for 5 minutes and 1.7 of that was just while is started up. HBB does a LOT of logging.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 am
DVDDave offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I just restarted mine and watched the network activity, it doesn't seem out of control. I think that my prolific logging may be what you are seeing but that would only impact local traffic, not Internet traffic. I consumed a lot of traffic on startup (when I'm doing the most logging and also when I'm talking to Homebridge over the network and when Homebridge is talking to Indigo over the network) but it's still fairly small - 1.9MB for 5 minutes and 1.7 of that was just while is started up. HBB does a LOT of logging.

I'm only talking about steady state network traffic; startup usage is indeed much higher. I'm not sure why logging would cause even local traffic; isn't logging data stored on the same server?

Also, although Activity Monitor would include local traffic as well as internet traffic, a comparison between my router's internet traffic meter and level of steady state traffic in Activity monitor shows that most of it is indeed internet traffic. I've been thinking of changing my Netgear router firmware to open source and this would provide individual device info. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to check their steady state traffic with Activity Monitor, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I really don't know, I suppose the answer would be to not use HBB for now.

There is a new ground-up rewrite on its way, hopefully in the next couple of weeks and when that's finalized then HBB will be obsolete mostly.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am
DVDDave offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I really don't know, I suppose the answer would be to not use HBB for now.

There is a new ground-up rewrite on its way, hopefully in the next couple of weeks and when that's finalized then HBB will be obsolete mostly.

Ah, sounds good! Should be OK for a little while as long as I monitor my usage. Looking forward to trying out the new version.

Page 1 of 1