HB Virtual Switch sending URL "treatAsGarageDoorIds" issue

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:32 pm
qcvictor offline

HB Virtual Switch sending URL "treatAsGarageDoorIds" issue

Hi C4W
I use virtual switch who send an url to my envisalink for open/close my garage door, if I use "switch" in the type of device it's working but if I want use the "garage door" type and get the nice garage icon :-)
Doesn't work ...
Code: Select all
WebServer                       request to turn on device "Garage Vicky" from 127.0.0.1
   EPS - Homebridge Buddy          sent "Garage Vicky" on

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 pm
qcvictor offline

Re: HB Virtual Switch sending URL "treatAsGarageDoorIds" iss

Hi C4W
It's supposed to be working with HB 1.0.1, I tried without success !
Tks for all
Vic

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I'm unclear as to what your issue is.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am
qcvictor offline

I'm unclear as to what your issue is.

When I create my homebridge alias for use virtual switch who send an url with "Type of device : Switch" it's working but if I use "Type of device : Garage Door" nothing happen, I can see in the log the command as been send but nothing happen

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ahh, OK, I understand now. I'll add that to the list. But you can use the switch for now with just a less-than-desired icon right? More of an aesthetic issue for the moment?

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 pm
qcvictor offline

Yes, you are right nothing dramatic it's working, just good for the WAF :lol:

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 am
PeteVis offline

It's not only cosmetics I'm afraid...
I only just started with Homebridge so perhaps this is a dumb question, but when I change my gate device type to a switch, Siri sais that my gate does not know what "open" is... is this correct ?

I need to tell Siri to turn on my gate ?

I'm not using an English Siri, so maybe this has something to do with different language implementations, but the Garagedoor device does understand the word "open" (it just does not pass the command to the device inside Indigo as mentioned here).

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, so wha too want to do in regards to that situation is configure the device to be treated as something. For me I use the Insteon garage door system, it's an I/O controller so I set up an alias to turn on the I/O sensors or flag them off or whatever and then "Treat As Garage Door". In your case you can Treat As Door or Treat as Window to be able to issue Open/Close commands, otherwise Siri expects On/Off/Dim commands. Make sense?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 am
PeteVis offline

Thanks for that, this works... but now Siri treats it as a secure device for which my iPhone needs to be unlocked...

I was hoping that when I was driving near my house that I could yell to Siri to open the driveway gate, but now she tells me I should first unlock my iPhone before she complies.
Is this any different with an Apple Watch ? I mean when I ask Siri in the Watch to open my Gate, do I also need to unlock my iPhone, or is the Watch always authenticated ?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, a whole new world has just opened for me...

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You really don't want it any other way. Consider if your front door were part of Siri and someone was outside and yelled "Siri, unlock front door" and it worked... This is why it's like that, this has actually happened many times before they required a lock and it's also why no other voice activated system works to unlock doors either (or open them, etc). The exception is your Apple Watch, it will always work because you unlock it when you put it on your wrist, so that's what I use to unlock/open doors.

Now, if you want to not have to worry about that then you can make it a switch and say "turn on Gate" to open it (or turn off, whatever).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 am
PeteVis offline

You just sold me on the Apple Watch :lol:

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Can you post me a screenshot of the configuration as a garage door that you said wasn't working? You are using a URL to do this, right? I just want to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree since "Act As Garage Door" works on a device otherwise.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 pm
PeteVis offline

I assume you are asking the OP, but I think I can answer for him, as I made the same mistake.

When creating a HBB Alias of the Indigo garage device, you can choose configure "type of device".
It is in this dialog box, when you choose "Garage Door" that the icon in the Home app of the iPhone changes to a garage door, but when clicking the button inside the iOS Home app, it does not do anything in Indigo.

I can see a message in the Indigo log, that the on command has been received, but it seems to stop there.

Later when you mentioned in this thread "Treat as..." that I figured out that the Alias configuration is the wrong place to set this.
The correct place to do this is to edit the Homebridge device itself, click "Edit Device Settings", and then first go to "Homebridge friendly devices to include" and after selecting all the wanted devices, choose "Treat as garage doors" and here select the Indigo device that operates the Garage door...

After doing that, my driveway gate worked as I wanted, with a garage door icon and all...

I understand what Aliases are, but the type of device inside the Aliases configuration don't seem to work (only for switches).

Posted on
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:46 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

PeteVis wrote:
I understand what Aliases are, but the type of device inside the Aliases configuration don't seem to work (only for switches).

Ok, I understand now. However there's a little difference in how they are treated (and this may still be a bug but I'll check it since it works on mine as a wrapper):

• The SERVER config where you tell it "Homebridge friendly devices to include" is for NON-ALIAS devices, you use this to throw normal Indigo devices into the config
  • The WRAPPER config where you select the "Type of Wrapper" does the same thing as the server but it's for wrapper devices (which don't show up in the server config)
  • The ALIAS config where you select the "Type of Device" should act like wrappers do, but if only the switch is working then that may be the problem.

I'll see what testing I can do. Alases came later and perhaps they weren't as complete as I thought :shock:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm
qcvictor offline

Can you post me a screenshot of the configuration as a garage door that you said wasn't working? You are using a URL to do this, right? I just want to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree since "Act As Garage Door" works on a device otherwise.

The setup for the alias:Image
My Virtual switch call 2 Action Groups :
And the Action group look like this:Image