Homebridge Buddy Future

What would you like to see from HBB?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 am

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Homebridge Buddy Future

So I've been running HBB for quite a while and have had no problems, I think the issues that seem to be out there may be related to how HBB works (or doesn't) with another plugin. Anyway, I'm trying to decide which way I want to go with this plugin - personally this is THE central hub of my entire home automation these days, I go to a control page maybe once or twice a month at most.

I don't know if I want to scrap this and rewrite it from scratch or continue with this build. With the new IOS 11 and High Sierra and big changes to HomeKit coming, it's time to start really thinking about the future of this plugin.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm
rehafer offline

Re: Homebridge Buddy Future

I've noticed on the Homebridge forums that getting things running on iOS 11 required nodejs updates. Maybe now is a good time to work all the update into HBB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Updating is already available in the plugin, I just updated mine today myself. You just have to drill into the folders to get to it. That being said, I'm willing to re-distribute the plugin with a pre-build when that time comes.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:26 pm
rehafer offline

Have you thought about the new device types coming out, like sprinklers? The worse my knees get, the more I appreciate Siri controlling things

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That's for Webdeck to implement into HB. That being said, it was a sore spot for me as well and I built some sprinkler functionality into HBB.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 pm
rehafer offline

Too bad we're not a bunch of big time developers that could have a conference in LV

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I just go and have my one one-man LV conference. I tend to agree with absolutely everything that is presented at said conference. I'm like that.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm
mlooss offline

For me HBB works great even on iOS 11 beta and I also made it my hub for everything. I really hope this plugin will keep moving forward. The use of Siri for my Indigo device has been the most useful part, but I have also started to appreciate the Home app. The one thing that continued to drive me nuts, is the room assignments don't always stick, especially new devices, but this could be an iOS 11 bug. Thanks for this great plugin!

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

mlooss wrote:
For me HBB works great even on iOS 11 beta and I also made it my hub for everything. I really hope this plugin will keep moving forward. The use of Siri for my Indigo device has been the most useful part, but I have also started to appreciate the Home app. The one thing that continued to drive me nuts, is the room assignments don't always stick, especially new devices, but this could be an iOS 11 bug. Thanks for this great plugin!

That's EVERYONE'S frustration and it's not IOS 11, it's HomeKit and how it manages that. Homebridge has been making strides into a solution for that. Like you, I use my IOS device (especially my watch) to control everything with Amazon Alexa getting about 30% of it and IOS 68% with control pages about 2%.

I'm glad it's been working well for you too!

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 pm
kelmk offline

I have had zero problems with homeBridge and iOS11. The only problems I have had with homebridge is I've never been able to get my cameras working through it and no matter what I do I can't get a second server running. That part has been quite confusing for me.
I run two servers now, one on Indigo and one on the synology NAS so I can add plugins for devices not supported in Indigo. Homekit seems to work just fine with multiple servers.
But overall I've been quite happy with my homebridge setup controlling the Nest/Insteon switches/lifx bulbs. I wish there was a volume slider in homekit though.

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 pm
durosity offline

I’ve been running hbb with iOS 11 beta devices with practically no issues either. The only odd thing I have that may not be related is push notifications come through randomly and grouped.. so I’ll often get two or three messages saying the bedroom window has closed, the front door has locked, the garage door has closed, etc all at once hours after they last changed.

Personally I’d rather you just continued work on this plugin rather than starting from scratch.. who’s to say a rebuilt one won’t have exactly the same conflict with this phantom plugin!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm
durosity offline

@c4w out of interest what model Apple Watch? I find my series 0 just too damn slow for Siri or HomeKit to be useful.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rehafer wrote:
Too bad we're not a bunch of big time developers that could have a conference in LV

I'll be there for a few days in September if anyone wants to get together. ;)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm
rehafer offline

durosity wrote:
@c4w out of interest what model Apple Watch? I find my series 0 just too damn slow for Siri or HomeKit to be useful.

I also find my series 0 watch to be the slowest iOS device for Siri/HomeKit; I've wondered if a series 1 would be faster.

Posted on
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Like you, I use my IOS device (especially my watch) to control everything with Amazon Alexa getting about 30% of it and IOS 68% with control pages about 2%.

Just to keep this going (I think it's very interesting to see how people are using the various parts). First, about 60% of my automation is, well, automatic. Meaning I don't do anything for stuff to happen (triggers/schedules).

Out of the manually controlled things: 30% manual (switching switches/keypadlinc buttons, etc), 30% Alexa, 38% Harmony (thanks to FlyingDiver's LIFX Bridge and Harmony Hub plugins), and 2% Indigo Touch. I find Siri too inconvenient (I don't wear my watch that much, my iPhone is invariably in my pocket or out of reach). Part of the problem might be that I have an iPhone 6 which doesn't do always listening Siri. Not sure it would make that much difference since it's in a pocket a lot, but maybe.

A Logitech remote is often closer at hand and I can turn on/off lights in the room I'm in (I have 2 harmony hubs - living and media - with companion remotes), control the ceiling fan speed, etc. from the HA buttons. And bring up the lights when I turn everything off. And as many of you know I LOVE LOVE LOVE physical buttons on a remote. Once I learn a remote (tactile feel), I never have to look at it to hit the right buttons. I can never do that with a touchscreen and voice control while watching video content just doesn't work for me (call me old-fashioned).

I have echos in three places in the house: kitchen/dining/living, office and master and they get more adhoc use in those areas.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn