Installation process

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 am
DomoPat offline

Installation process

After installing Homebridge and Homebridge-Indigo, I realised how useful Siri is for my HA system, and how convenient it is. So I also installed HomeBridge Buddy to be able to configure easily and enjoy the customisation possibilities, but it did not go well!
- I had HB and HB-Indigo installed and working.
- I stopped HB, by closing the termina window as I did not run it as a deamon
- I installed HBB plugin, set a server device, did some config and device lists and could see the server in the Home app but no devices. Restart, charge of names or changes of configs, deleted the house in Home, restarted iPhone, nothing worked I could never get the devices. I noticed the json config file was never changed.
- Found out I needed to delete the HB-Indigo software, did it and tried everything again, same results: no devices in the Home app on the iPhone.
- Desperate, I thought of starting from zero again, de-activated the plugin, reinstalled HBB-Indigo: HB starts and boots correctly, but nothing appears on the Home app, not even the server. Tried rebooting everything (Mac, server, iPhone, HB, car, dog, washing machine, etc..) to no effect.

What can I do now and where did I go wrong ?

Thank you,

Patrick

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:20 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Installation process

Where did you see that the config.json file was not changing? It's embedded into the plugin, so to know what may or may not be happening go into the plugin and then the menu for it and check the log file and the config file, it will pull the embedded versions of those so you can see what is going on. If you are still looking to ~/.homebridge then nothing is really going to happen there unless you have use the camera devices and have set up a server just for that.

Remember, if HBB is totally not working for you then you can always revert back to the original hand installed version of HB-Indigo.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 pm
DomoPat offline

Yes, I was looking at the file in the HB folder, I did not realise it was not used anymore. I will start again with a fresh re-install of HB and HB-Indigo, I did too many different things and I messed up the whole thing I am afraid !

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:51 am
DomoPat offline

Before redoing the whole HB install, I tried agin with HBB, it is so much better and the way to go for the future.
I deleted the server and started fresh, but same thing no devices appear in the Home app.

Here his my log file for HBB:

samedi 14 janv. à 12:44:59
INDIGOplotD Line '3389' has error='global name 'colVaru' is not defined'error in setupGNUPlotFiles
EPS - Homebridge Buddy [1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] Loaded plugin: homebridge-indigo
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] Registering platform 'homebridge-indigo.Indigo'
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] ---
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] Loaded config.json with 0 accessories and 1 platforms.
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] ---
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] Loading 1 platforms...
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] [Irene6] Initializing Indigo platform...
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] [Irene6] Indigo base URL is http://127.0.0.1:8176
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] Loading 0 accessories...
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] [Irene6] Indigo request: http://127.0.0.1:8176/devices.json/
[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] [Irene6] Error parsing Indigo response for /devices.json/
Exception: SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
Response: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>Indigo Home Control Server</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/global4.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/indigo4.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/fonts.css" />
</head>
<body>
<center>
access denied
</center>
</body>
</html>

[1/14/2017, 12:42:58 PM] [Irene6] Error parsing Indigo response for /devices.json/
Exception: SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
Response: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>Indigo Home Control Server</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/global4.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/indigo4.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="/css/fonts.css" />
</head>
<body>
<center>
access denied
</center>
</body>

I have included only 7 devices (those without accented characters, just in case). I can see the server in the Home App and enter the code, then I have. a message on the phone that I have to do some pairing on the device side (?!) and then I see the icons server turn grey on the phone and no devices...

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am
webdeck offline

The access denied in the log means that your indigo username and password are not specified correctly.

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 am
DomoPat offline

Thank you, that was it !
I thought that the plugin relied on HomeBridge being installed before to work properly, so I did not enter the username and password in the HBB config screen, as they were already provided to HB through it's config file.
Now to make it clear and simple to future users, just install the HomeBridge Buddy plugin as it includes everything you need, and enjoy it's power and ease of configuration.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 am
Shutter offline

I'm clearly doing something wrong.

1. I've installed the latest version of Homebridge Buddy which has all the necessary components packaged up inside it, correct?

2. The plugin loads and I make no changes to the plugin configuration (blank path and web access username and password) since I'm running it on the same Mac as Indigo.

3. I make a new device called Homebridge Server of the model Indigo Homebridge Server, with the only change in the device settings being in the Homebridge Configuration and the checking of Show Thermostats in Celsius.

4. No errors in the logs. The following summary:
#Devices for Homebridge to parse : 12
# Included devices that Homebridge can use : 34
# Devices over 99 that won't work: 0

5. I pop over to my iPad and the Home app. I'm on the Home tab and My Home is the default. I tap Add Accessory and select the Indigo Homebridge… and a window pops up and I floor through with the code and so on. It always displays as Indigo Homebridge Server copy. I leave everything to the default and tap next. It then tells me to Pair related accessories with "Homebridge Indigo Server" in the manufacture's app. I tap Dome and the the My Home page is still showing the Add Accessory button and nothing else, and on the Rooms tap I see on accessory called Homebridge Indigo Server. If I tap on the details I can enable the Include in Favourites to see it on the Home tab, but still nothing else.

I did allow the plugin in the Firewall when the notification first appeared when I installed and enabled the plugin.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 am
webdeck offline

You need to provide the username and password.

Posted on
Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:13 pm
Shutter offline

Never setup tech late at night, and never try again the next day after a boozy lunch. I did try it with my username and password, but I entered my indigo Mac one, not the Indigo web server. I know, I know, it says that right in the window.

Maybe best to call it quits for the day and fiddle around with the plugin, device names, and Siri tomorrow.

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:03 am
Shutter offline

OK, I got it working. I know realise that another issue I had was that I created a Homebridge device, as I didn't notice the auto generated one. Now it show up on the iPad/iPhone and I'm able to control devices. All very cool.

And then…

I keep getting the following errors in the logs:

Code: Select all
EPS - Homebridge Buddy          Starting the Homebridge server 'Homebridge for Indigo', do not try to use Siri until you get a message that the server has started
   EPS - Homebridge Buddy Warning  Stopping the Homebridge server 'Homebridge for Indigo'

I've read that it's been mentioned before, but don't quite see what the solution is. I tried disabling the plugin, quitting the Indigo server, deleting the plugin and the plugin prefs, restarting the server and re-installing the plugin to configure again. Alas the error persists.

Are there settings saved elsewhere that I should also delete? The reason I ask is that even after all the above steps when I edit the device settings it remembers what I cmd-selected as my Homebridge Friendly Devices to Include. Are they not saved within the pref file that I know I've removed to the trash and restarted Indigo and re-installed the plugin.

Many thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

If that message keeps repeating then the server is starting and stopping - and THAT is likely because of a conflict. Do you have TWO HB servers running by chance? If so then I'm guessing they share a port and that's causing this server to start, bomb on the port, die, restart, rinse and repeat.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm
Shutter offline

Hi,

I think I might have TWO HB running, but for the life of me I can't see where the other one is. I've only ever installed your plugin after you started to include HB in HBB. At the beginning I did screw up and created a device in Indigo before I realised that your plugin created one automatically. But I deleted the second device and tried the following with another issue I had (my fault again): disable the plugin, quit Indigo server, delete the plugin and the prefs, reinstalled the plugin.

Things work except for that error message.

Where might I look for a second instance of HB.

Thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:38 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Go to a terminal and type "ps -ax homebridge" and see if there are two. It may be the one that is in ~/.homebridge.

Regardless, try editing the device in Indigo and changing the port number by one. Also, go into the menu and output the built in HB log file, it will tell us what's going on.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:44 am
Shutter offline

Typing the command in the Terminal produces an error: ps: illegal argument: homebridge

Nevertheless, inexplicably it now works without error. the reason I thought previously there might be another instance of HB running was that overtime I went to add HB in the Home app it would show 2 servers - the auto generated device and the one I created before I realised that HBB creates on. But I searched high and low on my Mac and could not find anything HB related other than with the plugin. Searched System and Invisible files, as well as seeing that there was only one instance of HB running in Activity Monitor. I now think it's just the iPad Home app aggressively caching. Checked on my iPhone and there was only one showing, and after a reboot of the iPad I was back to one.

I re-enabled Automatically start and stop Homebridge with plugin and it's been about 8hrs and no errors in the logs. Created my first alias device as well and it worked brilliantly. So what the hell happened I have no idea, but thanks for the help and plugin anyway.

Simon

Page 1 of 1