Config to add generic platforms?

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:49 am
blysik offline

Config to add generic platforms?

Hi,

I'm considering installing homebridge-filesensor to try and expose my window/door contact sensors to homekit. Unfortunately, with HBB, that means creating a new type (somethineglike 'Homebridge Filesensor', similar to what you did for cameras). Since I don't know if you want to do something like this every time a new homebridge plugin comes along, do you want to consider some way to generically add platforms?

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Config to add generic platforms?

In the next release or perhaps the one after I'm already planning on having a way for people to have extra items in their config.json without having to officially support it in Indigo. There are currently over 400 plugins to HB and no way I'm going to even TRY to support them all - but I will build in support where that built in support makes sense and it's actually easier to use HBB to set it up than it is to manipulate the config itself.

It's going to take the form of having an Accessories and Platforms file that you do whatever you want with and when HBB saves the configuration it will read those in to incorporate your customization.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 pm
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
There are currently over 400 plugins to HB

Is there a list somewhere or is that just from the npm library?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:10 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

NPM library.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:50 am
durosity offline

A man of many words.. ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 pm
blysik offline

Do you have a dev branch where you'd potentially accept pull requests? Or is master on github the place? I'm eagerly awaiting the general append functionality, and considering ways I could contribute back.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:47 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

At this point I am not opening up the plugin to contributions for several reasons, one of which is that the libraries I wrote for this plugin also drive my other plugins and if one gets messed up then there goes the whole lot :) . Another big reason is that I only to sync to Git when the release has been patched to a working level, to do collaboration requires that I am constantly syncing every single change up to Git.

I'm working on that functionality but I'm also dealing with incorporating in the full HB installation into the plugin, something Jay and Matt want quite a bit for new users and, frankly, it improves the entire experience in a number of ways anyway.

I suspect I'll have the release done this week. There are several folks, myself included, that would like to be able to run HBB but also have it take into account their other HB plugins too.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:56 pm
blysik offline

Understood.

Any way to send you a beer? :D

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:04 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

LOL, not at this point.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:40 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, this feature should now work in the just release RC6.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:57 pm
blysik offline

Could you give a little description on the best steps to get from a HBB + camera device config, to a the best "Homebridge Indigo Server + Homebridge Custom Server" configuration? I'm eager to start trying some of the other homebridge plugins, but I want to make this transition as cleanly as I can.

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

It's pretty much automatic when you upgrade. Back up your config file to be safe but I tried to make the upgrade painless.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 am
blysik offline

So I created a Custom server device. If I want to add additional plugins, I can just manually edit ~/.homebridge/config.json ?

Posted on
Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Yes, exactly. The built in is 100% for HB-Indigo while the custom is 100% for NOT HB-Indigo and any changes you make will be re-applied when you save the config again from within HBB.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1