Question on what is needed for install

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:19 am
norcoscia offline

Hi all, I'd like to give HB Buddy a try but I'm unclear about the correct process to follow for the initial install - the sticky say some time in the future HB Buddy will be updated and install everything needed to run but that note was not updated to say if that is the case now.

What is confusing me is one of the posts below says the install does in fact do everything (since I'm not an expert on the terminal line I would like to know what the correct process is) Does the sticky just need an update or do I need to figure out how to install HB Indigo first? The two post have conflicting info :-(

Thanks in advance for any help...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Question on what is needed for install

HBB is completely self contained now, you can download the plugin and install it and you should be good to go. I'll look over the docs and clean them up, thanks for pointing it out.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 am
norcoscia offline

Thank you Sir - I just got a new apple watch and Siri is very talkative - figured I would put it to work :D

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Haha! I just updated to WatchOS 4 and am still getting used to her being vocal on my wrist rather than only my phones and pads.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:22 am
norcoscia offline

Trying to do the install but unclear as to what goes in the server path or how I figure out where to find the info?

Assuming it needs this since I got the error below when I closed the configuration box and left the path empty

Code: Select all
   Started plugin "EPS - Homebridge Buddy 1.0.1"
   EPS - Homebridge Buddy Error    Exception in plugin.onBefore_startup line 164: 'key host not found in dict'
                      CODE: if self.pluginPrefs["host"] == "":

Attachments
2017-09-24_07-18-25.png
2017-09-24_07-18-25.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 2911 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:26 am
norcoscia offline

Is it looking for something like this

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoWebServer

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:30 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You need to go to Plugins -> Homebridge Buddy -> Configure and put in the IP address of the Indigo server as well as the port (usually 8176). If yo u secured Indigo with a user and password then add those as well.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 am
norcoscia offline

Yes - I did all that - but unsure what to put in the server path part (in the .png image I uploaded above) and can't find it in docs - sorry I'm not very smart :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That's only if you have a proxy for your Indigo web server, leave it blank otherwise.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am
norcoscia offline

OK, I have everything running (I think) - I picked one device (a light on/off wall switch). I can't seem to get Siri to think anything is connected in my house - I can turn the switch on and off via the home bridge alias I created within Indigo but when I ask Siri to do it he/she says I don't have anything connected in my home - I must be missing something simple but not sure what it is.

This is my first time doing anything with Siri with all the stuff I have in indigo so it is likely something stupid I'm forgetting to do - if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 pm
CliveS online

norcoscia wrote:
This is my first time doing anything with Siri with all the stuff I have in indigo so it is likely something stupid I'm forgetting to do - if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears...

You are not alone, their are a few great plugins like this that have changed over time and in some cases just got so complex that starting off now from zero is so confusing I just gave up.
I won't name them because it would not be right but don't think you are the only one who is also lost at times...I expect you and I am not alone either.......
Thanks for asking the questions, I also was not clear on how to install as the messages were conflicting but now I might also join you and try HBB in a few days.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:21 pm
howartp offline

I've just done my first install of HBB this evening.

At first, I was in the same boat as you, not knowing what to do where, bemoaning the mixture of old and new threads, and general lack of instructions.

Then I found the Docs folder in the GitHub download - which guides you through exactly what to do! :oops:

Siri is now very helpfully turning on my lights etc, and in particular warming my car up in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by howartp on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:47 am
norcoscia offline

OK, got it working - I did not see any info on setting up your phone to point to the HomeKit on Indigo - that is what I was missing - also needed to add the PIN so it would work - like I said -- first time running with home kit so dumb mistake - thanks goodness for google :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I'll try to update the docs soon - the birth of this product was on the back of the other HB system that is used with Indigo - in fact the HB built into HBB is built by Webdeck, so some of those instructions are lacking in the documentation and I didn't think of it until this thread.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am
norcoscia offline

No worries - heck - it looks to be a fantastic plug-in and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your work and knowledge with a non programer like me. Looking forward to messing with it and having fun!

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1