Using an Indigo variable as STATUS for HomeKit

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 am
Vangelis offline

Using an Indigo variable as STATUS for HomeKit

I am reading the status of my alarm PIRs etc using Cynical Network Plugin - this in turn sets a variable depending on if the sensor is ON or OFF. I would like to represent this activity on the HomeKit UI, but unsure how to do this.. (am using HomeKit Bridge)

I have looked at using maybe a Virtual Device, however I cannot seem to Segway the function in as it seems to want to check if a Group Device is ON or OFF??

Any thoughts on how I can achieve this?

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Using an Indigo variable as STATUS for HomeKit

You can look at Masquerade or Device Extensions to see if either of those gets you where you need to be. Right now HKB doesn't do anything with variables. This feature is on the roadmap but the priority isn't very high given the other tasks ahead of it. Homebridge Buddy wrappers are also an extremely powerful way to do things like that, once things settle down with HKB I'll resume working on that functionality in Device Extensions but you can use HBB alongside HKB if for nothing more than wrappers.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:36 am
Vangelis offline

Will have a looks - Thanks!

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 am
FlyingDiver offline

Masquerade won't do what you want, it doesn't deal with variables either.

I think you want to use a Virtual Device. Create a couple of empty Action Groups to be the on/off controls, then set the status to use the variable you want.

I just tested this, and it works fine.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 am
blysik offline

Yes, I use a Virtual Device, with actions and status variable, and then expose it to HomeKit via HomeKit Bridge. It works great.

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:24 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

blysik wrote:
Yes, I use a Virtual Device, with actions and status variable, and then expose it to HomeKit via HomeKit Bridge. It works great.

Because once you do that then the virtual device is no different than any other relay type device in Indigo, so HKB doesn't have an issue with it. The key is the status, which people often neglect, they set the on/off actions but neglect the status so HKB can't tell if it is on or off.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 am
Vangelis offline

Thanks Everyone

@FlyingDriver - I ended up working this out as you stated, once I got my head around what to do with the Virtual Device / Virtual On/Off

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1