HomeKit Bridge Official Released (Testing Closed)

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Public Beta Now Open

Oh, I did have "not responding" happen last night and I had to restart the plugin, it wasn't the plugin though because I tested the API first, it's Homebridge or HomeKit that was barfing.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm
durosity offline

Yeah I’ve already tried that. I suspect it’s something to do with the Homekit database. I’m going to persist with it for now, and when HKB leaves beta I’ll likely reset all of homekit and start it all afresh! I really wish homekit was smart enough look at a new device name and put things in the right folder..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:27 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
I really wish homekit was smart enough look at a new device name and put things in the right folder..

That would be nice, but nicer still would be to have the ability to control folders, scenes and even automation from Homebridge. All good things in time. I'm pretty happy with where it's sitting now. But your quote reminded me of something a drill sergeant used to say all the time "Well, son, wish in one hand and s**t in the other, see which one has more weight". :D.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:31 pm
durosity offline

Hehe!

Yes it would be nice if it could do that, although as best I’m aware that’s not possible at present. I suppose one way around it would be to write a Homekit iOS app that could read from the HBK setup and apply changes accordingly.. if apple would even approve such a thing!

That’s a good idea actually.. chop chop.. I want a working prototype by Monday morning.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
I suppose one way around it would be to write a Homekit iOS app that could read from the HBK setup and apply changes accordingly

Believe it or not I've travelled down that road a bit. I started rolling my own HomeKit app that would be able to back up rooms and devices and all of that. Life got in the way.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:52 pm
durosity offline

You’re not supposed to prioritise your life over the importance of making my life easier.

Shocking behaviour..

;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
You’re not supposed to prioritise your life over the importance of making my life easier.

Have I not already? You seem to use a few of my plugins.... :lol:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:09 pm
durosity offline

That was yesterday. You’re living in the past.. quit living in the past.. what you doing for me tomorrow eh? I want a miniaturised version of me predicting my every move and running the house PERFECTLY! No.. I’ve not been rewatching Black Mirror.. why do you ask?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am
siclark offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Oh, I did have "not responding" happen last night and I had to restart the plugin, it wasn't the plugin though because I tested the API first, it's Homebridge or HomeKit that was barfing.

I am away from home and whilst homekit via Home app is responding for all my devices both ways, my cameras are showing as Not Responding again.
I am using an old Apple TV 3 for my hub. Could that hardware be struggling?
The cameras are working fine with security spy plugin as I see them updating on my control page

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:03 am
siclark offline

Answering my own question.

From apple's support page.

To change user permissions, create automations, or stream HomeKit-enabled cameras remotely,* you need a HomePod, an Apple TV 4K, Apple TV (4th generation), or iPad. If you add an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) to a home that has an Apple TV (3rd generation) set up, the Apple TV (3rd generation) will stop being used for HomeKit remote access.
*Apple TV (3rd generation) doesn’t support remote access for shared users or remote access to HomeKit enabled cameras.

So looks like I was lucky with them working via the ATV 3 before. Sounds like a reason to upgrade!!

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 am
durosity offline

Definitely worth upgrading.. the difference between the 3 and 4 is exceptional.. plex for one thing :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 am
GRWilde offline

The HomePod works great in providing remote access to all of the HomeKit Bridge devices I set up using my Home App, including my two SecuritySpy cameras. The devices and cameras also show up remotely on my Apple Watch. The HomePod also provides a decent Siri interface to the HomeKit devices and scenes, although Siri on the HomePod could use much improvement.
Now if I could only find a way to add my Canary, Ring, and 8 Lorex FLIR security cameras to HomeKit!

George Wilde

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:00 am
siclark offline

[quote="durosity"]Definitely worth upgrading.. the difference between the 3 and 4 is exceptional.. plex for one thing :)

Thanks. I bought fire sticks for all my TV's though to use for Plex and Netflix etc so will be only for this really and the odd movie. Although I guess it gives me the security spy TV app as well which would be useful.

My home is all sonos and Alexa as well so homekit is really only for external use and sharing with family members.

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am
vtmikel offline

This plugin is really great. I never expected it to be this easy to bridge to HomeKit given the barriers that Apple puts up. Great work.

Observations based on my testing so far:
  • There are some odd behaviors when you first set up your first server following the quick start, but it wasn't hard to work around.
  • The "Door" type has a odd behavior. I'm using Aeotec door sensors, and HomeKit tries to perform an action when you click on them. Unlike motion sensors that are read only and reports status, as they should be. I dont know if this is a HomeKit behavior, or if the bridge could be configured to tell HomeKit that this is a read only device.
  • I use the MyQ plugin for my Liftmaster garage door opener. When I bridge this to HomeKit as a Garage Door, it times out during open and close actions, but does work.

Will report other findings as I encounter them.

Mike

Posted on
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
Definitely worth upgrading.. the difference between the 3 and 4 is exceptional.. plex for one thing :)

My #1 reason for getting ATV4 was Plex. I've been a heavy Plex user since beta. I used XBMC prior, it's still OK but hasn't progressed nearly as far.

vtmikel wrote:
There are some odd behaviors when you first set up your first server following the quick start, but it wasn't hard to work around.

When did you install it, during which Beta release? I added a lot of sanity checks in this most recent release trying to combat that.

vtmikel wrote:
The "Door" type has a odd behavior. I'm using Aeotec door sensors, and HomeKit tries to perform an action when you click on them. Unlike motion sensors that are read only and reports status, as they should be. I dont know if this is a HomeKit behavior, or if the bridge could be configured to tell HomeKit that this is a read only device.

You need contact sensors for this, maybe I should put something in a pop up warning about this because you aren't the first to think "door" is a door sensor, a "door" and "window" are actual devices that open and close a door and window, they aren't meant to just detect if they are in contact or not. Try a contact sensor and see if that works better.

vtmikel wrote:
I use the MyQ plugin for my Liftmaster garage door opener. When I bridge this to HomeKit as a Garage Door, it times out during open and close actions, but does work.

I'm working on that, my garage door does as well - so do my drapes. The plugin is built to wait for the requested action to complete but some longer operations, like opening doors or drapes, can exceed that. I got around that with a couple other things as a test but I may expand this.

Check Them Out Here

Page 10 of 25 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25