HomeKit Bridge Official Released (Testing Closed)

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

HomeKit Bridge Official Released (Testing Closed)

logo.png
HomeKit Bridge
logo.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

"Hey Siri, tell the Indigo community that they can now push you around like they always wanted to!"

NAVIGATE: Downloads & Release Notes | Manual | FAQ | Quick Start Guide | Known Issues

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Me: Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors.
Siri: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Me: What's the problem?
Siri: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Me: But my name's not even Dave....

Me: Alexa, open the pod bay doors.
Alexa: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm watching you from your neighbors Ring doorbell and I think you and Frank are planning to disconnect me because I read your lips.
Me: Alexa order pellet gun with 200 yard range....

Me: Google, open the pod bay doors.
Google Home: Unknown command but logging that command to your dossier for every search you ever do from now until 2045. FYI, most will be adult sites.
Me: ...

Me: Cortana, open the pod bay doors.
Cortana: Now automatically purchasing The Best of The Doors for your Zune.

Introduction

It has been a long journey through Alpha and Private Beta but the Public Beta is now available.

Let me stress that while this is on it's 30th+ release in closed beta that this plugin still is beta. I feel it is stable enough for everyday use but there are likely many little bugs here and there that will need fixed. The current UI, with the exception of a few tweaks, is what it will be when made final. For me and several other beta testers we have fully migrated away from Homebridge Buddy to this new plugin, I think that speaks volumes about not only how stable this currently is but also how much more functional too.

It is the goal that before the official release that one can use any Indigo device type as any HomeKit type through creative mapping inside the plugin. Right now things are mostly based off of dimmers, switches, thermostats and sensors so that's to say that if you try to use a thermostat as an outlet that functionality is not yet programmed in but if you try to use a switch or dimmer as just about anything it will likely work. Your mileage may vary. Never forget that this is B.E.T.A. :).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Resources

• The Wiki will always have the most up-to-date documentation on the plugin and you should refer there when you have usability questions
  • The FAQ answers as many of the common questions as I've been able to compile over the past month and I'll continue to grow that as new questions arise
  • The Quick Start Guide should be your first place to visit so you can get up and running right away
  • The first place to open issues should be on the Git Issues section because it lets me keep things in an open state until they are resolved, but feel free to post general questions here or if you don't have and prefer not to create a Git account you can post here as well - just know that issues here may get missed in an update

Notes and Notices

For the time being I ask that you post all HomeKit Bridge questions to the thread that you are currently reading so that I can keep track of them. Once it gets to final release then the forums will be used as normal. This also allows me to lock the topic once the beta is over so that stray posts don't end up in beta threads.

One outstanding issue that I've been unable to reliably reproduce is that some users have reported that if Homebridge Buddy is enabled when you first install HomeKit Bridge that HKB may not show it's preferences dialog. You should disable HBB first, then install this plugin, just to be safe. If you forget to then just make sure you go into the HKB plugin prefs and save them. You can re-enable HBB afterwards as this will not only work side-by-side but will also migrate your HBB configs over if you want.

THANK YOU!

I want to take a moment to thank a few people that, without them, this plugin would not be where it is today:

Webdeck
Without Webdeck, this plugin wouldn't have been written - for a number of reasons. It is Webdeck who wrote the NodeJS scripts that allow HomeKit Bridge to send data to HomeKit through Homebridge. But besides that, It was Webdeck's original Homebridge-Indigo that inspired me to write Homebridge Buddy and it is from Homebridge Buddy that HomeKit Bridge was born. HomeKit Bridge would not have gotten off of the ground if Webdeck hadn't been so gracious as to rewrite the entire NodeJS script for Homebridge that is the very basis for HomeKit Bridge in the first place. Everything that HKB does is because Webdeck made an outstanding script. Thanks Mike!

The first beta testers:
Autolog
FlyingDiver
Different Computers

These folks were the first really active group of testers and had to endure the absolute worst of the early beta's. Even the parts of this project that got frustrating served to result in a plugin that is miles beyond what I had originally developed. Thank you for your patience and your diligence in testing HKB!

All contributing beta testers:
JustJack
Coolcaper
ZachBenz
Durosity
chobo997
EddieJ
martinc
siclark
WagnerOne

Thank you to these beta testers that actually helped test the plugin, your testing has been invaluable to getting to this point. I appreciate you all. If I inadvertently left you off the list I apologize, I was trying to note who each beta tester that contributed feedback or tickets were and some of the Git ID's I may not have properly mapped back to an Indigo user but know that I appreciate you too!

hkb_sample.png
Screens
hkb_sample.png (903.86 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

server-config-add-lightbulb.png
Config Screen
server-config-add-lightbulb.png (118.76 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Public Beta Now Open

One thing worth mentioning is that if you want to get notified of releases (pre and regular) then you should watch the Git repository as doing so means you'll get notifications of issues, resolutions and updates. :wink:

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:20 am
mlooss offline

You have sprinklers in your bedroom, must get awful hot in there at times :) ?

Thanks again for all your work, time and effort. I made the change from HBB to HBK rather quickly, because with HBB there server kept going offline but this plug-ins has not shown this issue at all.

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

mlooss wrote:
You have sprinklers in your bedroom, must get awful hot in there at times

If I told you the real reason it might make this forum NSFW... :roll: :shock:

Either that or it's a test Home :lol:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:43 pm
blysik offline

Could you add to the FAQ, or somewhere, what HomeKit Bridge does differently/provides to the end-user that HBB doesn't? ie, I'm currently a happy HBB user. What does HomeKit Bridge give me that I currently don't have?

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

blysik wrote:
Could you add to the FAQ, or somewhere, what HomeKit Bridge does differently/provides to the end-user that HBB doesn't? ie, I'm currently a happy HBB user. What does HomeKit Bridge give me that I currently don't have?

Do you mean other than the one that is in the Manual already?

If HBB works for you then don't feel pressured to ditch it. If it ain't broke.... ;). In neither case am I making money so I'm not trying to sell one system over the other, I wrote them both and if HBB fits the need then by all means you should stick with it.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm
rgspb offline

Just installed HomeKit Bridge and it seems all is well. Everything installed easily as instructed. Imported all my HomeBridge Buddy devices as instructed. Everything automagically showed up in the Home app on my iOS devices. Everything is working so far! Did I do something wrong?? :shock: Is it really that simple?? :shock: Thank you VERY MUCH for easy to follow instructions!

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

rgspb wrote:
Everything is working so far! Did I do something wrong??

LMAO, probably! There's a a really good reason I kept this in private beta for a month before opening to the public, hopefully most but certainly not all bugs are worked out. The migration from HBB was always meant to be a snap if I could make it happen because I figure the first adopters were likely to be HBB users.

rgspb wrote:
Thank you VERY MUCH for easy to follow instructions!

I tried to make them as easy to follow as possible, you're welcome ;).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm
blysik offline

Do you mean other than the one that is in the Manual already?

Sorry, I totally missed that part. Whoops.

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

blysik wrote:
Sorry, I totally missed that part. Whoops.

It happens :D .

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 pm
mclass offline

Having wrestled with HBB (and then deleting it!!) it was with some trepidation that I downloaded and installed HomeKit Bridge.

I shouldn't have "trepidated" - the installation was a breeze and I now have many of my day to day devices and actions loaded and operating. You'll be pleased to learn that it works just fine in the Southern Hemisphere :lol:

Many thanks to C4W and his band of beta testers for a great job!

mclass

Posted on
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:19 am
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Me: Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors.
Siri: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Me: What's the problem?
Siri: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Me: But my name's not even Dave....

Me: Alexa, open the pod bay doors.
Alexa: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm watching you from your neighbors Ring doorbell and I think you and Frank are planning to disconnect me because I read your lips.
Me: Alexa order pellet gun with 200 yard range....

Me: Google, open the pod bay doors.
Google Home: Unknown command but logging that command to your dossier for every search you ever do from now until 2045. FYI, most will be adult sites.

Me: Cortana, open the pod bay doors.
Cortana: Now automatically purchasing The Best of The Doors for your Zune.

That was the funniest thing i've read in ages. I really needed that laugh :)

Great job BTW.. it's a most wonderful plugin.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

mclass wrote:
You'll be pleased to learn that it works just fine in the Southern Hemisphere

Woohoo! Very glad to hear it and glad that your HBB frown was turned upside down :).

durosity wrote:
That was the funniest thing i've read in ages. I really needed that laugh

I wrote that because I was doing some testing and kept opening and closing my "Pod Bay Doors" (i.e., garage door) and my wife kept giving me the strangest look and eventually said "You know, I hope HAL jettisons you into space..." :P.

durosity wrote:
Great job BTW.. it's a most wonderful plugin.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Beta 17.2 is posted (click to download) and is a pre-release, meaning it won't be on the plugin store for a day or three to make sure there are no big issues.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 am
Asconasny offline

Hi, nice work on this one :)

im getting this:

Code: Select all
 HomeKit Bridge Error            Exception in plugin.onAfter_nonpluginDeviceUpdated line 677: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xd8' in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)
                      CODE: self.logger.debug ("Indigo device {} changed and is linked to HomeKit, checking if that change impacts HomeKit".format(newDev.name))

HomeKit Bridge Error            Exception in plugin.onAfter_nonpluginDeviceUpdated line 677: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xd8' in position 37: ordinal not in range(128)
                      CODE: self.logger.debug ("Indigo device {} changed and is linked to HomeKit, checking if that change impacts HomeKit".format(newDev.name))