HomeKit Bridge Closed Beta Discussion

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am
autolog offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Closed Beta Discussion

Scratch that - I selected the wrong device - I am easily confused :? :)

The device I printed is a LIFX device - note the name = Dining Room

The device I added (which wasn't what I printed) was a UniFi plugin detected WiFi device.

when I select Dining Room - it works OK :)

Apologies for the confusion.

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
Scratch that - I selected the wrong device - I am easily confused

That makes me very happy because I'm looking at the code and looking at your device wondering how in the world it could have gotten it wrong! Whew! :D

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 am
autolog offline

Got theses errors controlling my LIFX lamps (which for the most part are working very well) :)
LIFX sent "Study Lamp" off with duration of 2.0 seconds
HomeKit Bridge Error Attempting to control 'Study Lamp' from HomeKit and have not gotten a response from the Indigo device for at least 10 seconds, aborting command
LIFX sent "Study Lamp" on with duration of 2.0 seconds
HomeKit Bridge Error Attempting to control 'Study Lamp' from HomeKit and have not gotten a response from the Indigo device for at least 10 seconds, aborting command
It actually worked though.

btw - I re-installed the plugin from the Release Page prior to this test. :)

Also got this message:
HomeKit Bridge Warning Attempting to control 'Study Lamp' from HomeKit and we didn't get notified for 1 second after the action was run, this is a bit slow

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am
autolog offline

The automatic discovery (by HomeKit) of the devices once they have been added and saved to the HKB is very impressive. :)

Is there anyway that the devices could be assigned to rooms so that you don't have to edit them in the Home App? Something for the future, I guess if its is possible? :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
LIFX sent "Study Lamp" off with duration of 2.0 seconds

That means that the lastChanged property of the device didn't change which is, for now, how we are figuring out if the command we sent to it was successful. Perhaps I can set up a dummy LIFX device and install your plugin to see what may be the cause. We don't want to poll for more than 10 seconds because it just makes the HomeKit app hang anyway.

autolog wrote:
HomeKit Bridge Warning Attempting to control 'Study Lamp' from HomeKit and we didn't get notified for 1 second after the action was run, this is a bit slow

That's a beta log for now, it's on the map to increase that by a second before getting warned. I wanted to see how long it was taking for devices to complete the command in Indigo. Nothing to worry about on this one.

autolog wrote:
The automatic discovery (by HomeKit) of the devices once they have been added and saved to the HKB is very impressive.

autolog wrote:
Is there anyway that the devices could be assigned to rooms so that you don't have to edit them in the Home App?

Unfortunately not yet. That's a limitation of HomeKit and Homebridge that rooms must be edited on the app. It really sucks if something happens to your 200+ device setup :roll:. That being said I do have something cool along those lines planned for very soon that will auto populate all of your devices into HomeKit but it still won't put them into rooms :cry:.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm
autolog offline

I have setup a second HK-B with a number of switch devices.

How do I add this bridge to the Home App. It has the same code '031-45-154' as the first HK-B.

When I enter the code (for adding a new accessory), it isn't showing me the new bridge.

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:47 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

The code should be fine, they can all be the same and right now (probably forever) you cannot change that in the plugin. The home app should show you the device first and THEN ask for a code, not as for a code and show you the device. So when you tap on the option to add via code there are no servers there?

The second server option is still a bit experimental, it's not been totally vetted yet.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm
autolog offline

Just shows three LIFX lamps but no server. :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 pm
autolog offline

Are Action Groups working yet?

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
Just shows three LIFX lamps but no server. :)

Then you are looking at the main screen, you will need to add another accessory. Each server is an accessory and each accessory has devices.

autolog wrote:
Are Action Groups working yet?

They are. Where did you see that I still have up that they aren't? The forum post from earlier? I only ask because I thought I removed all references to action groups being inoperable in the various plugin documents.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm
autolog offline

I am looking at the Accessory screen. :)

The three LIFX lamps (out of 14 I have) are models that support Homekit natively (just like my Nanoleafs) - I just haven't added the native LIFX lamps as accessories. :)

Regarding Action Groups, How does the plugin handle on and off commands?

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ahh, I didn't get that your LIFX devices were HomeKit friendly so that threw me why you would be seeing them. Try stopping the server, going into the advanced properties in its config, checking to override and change the username by one hex character (generally you can chance the last :10 to :11 or :12 and have it work). See if that does the trick. I still need to test the multiple server thing because it is a big part of the plugin eventually. For now I'm focused on just the core plugin working.

As far as action groups they are a momentary switch, you tap it on and it should run the action and then just come back as off in about 5 seconds. That still might need some finesse to make it look nice on HomeKit but it should be working.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm
autolog offline

When I try and do that change the last two characters form 10 to 11, it tells me that the HB port 51827 is in use and then when I change it 51828, it tells me the HB callback is in use, so I changed it to 8447.

I then get the messages:
HomeKit Bridge Server 'HomeKit Bridge - HiFi' has changed ports or users, validating config
HomeKit Bridge HomeKit server 'HomeKit Bridge - HiFi' is not currently running, the configuration has been saved and will be used the next time this server starts
and the server is stopped.

So I turn it On and it then goes stopped again. (The server Options Auto Start was ticked).

I then reload the plugin.

Then it works i.e. both Bridges running.

The accessory now appears and I have added the 2nd bridge successfully.

I can now control my Hi-Fi via Siri :D

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Wow, that's a lot of steps, I'll have to see if I can reproduce it so I can fix the problem.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of steps, I'll have to see if I can reproduce it so I can fix the problem.

This is odd. I created a new server, added a device and it starts right up and is available to HomeKit. Is it possible that you had added and deleted a server from HomeKit in your setup?

I'm going to add to the release notes to try to get folks to test this because it works beautifully for me.

Check Them Out Here