HomeKit Bridge Closed Beta Discussion

Posted on
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:04 pm
autolog offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Closed Beta Discussion

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
autolog wrote:
The only issue is that Home-kit thinks it is open when it is closed and vice-versa.

I'll see if I can incorporate the invert checkbox into that process, it means your stuff is backwards :shock: because a regular relay reports properly, when the relay is On the device is Open and when the relay is Off the device is Closed.

No, it probably means I am backward as that is how I configured the action. :lol:

Posted on
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I'm going to take that release down so I can put up 12.04 later, which will hopefully deal with the invert state.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, it took a lot of coding and testing to get the right mix but Beta 12 Release 4 is published (click to download) and now the three relay-as-motor devices (Door, Window, Covering) can now also be inverted. Man it's a chore to lie to HomeKit so heartily!

Enjoy Jon :).

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 am
autolog offline

Window Coverings is now working in 12.04 :D

Thanks for your efforts on this; it really is turning into a superb plugin. :)

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 am
autolog offline

I have been doing some more testing. :)

Ideally there should be a check on the Cancel button or pressing Esc that asks if you really want to do it, especially if you have done a lot of editing as it is all lost if you do a Cancel or Esc. :wink:

There needs to be a button to cancel a device Edit once started, the only option is to Add to Homekit.

When adding a new Window Covering, the Invert on/off state button is not shown. However, if I edit a Window Covering added before Release 12.04, the button is shown.

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 am
Different Computers offline

autolog wrote:
There needs to be a button to cancel a device Edit once started, the only option is to Add to Homekit.

Yes please!!!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:52 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
I have been doing some more testing. :)

Ideally there should be a check on the Cancel button or pressing Esc that asks if you really want to do it, especially if you have done a lot of editing as it is all lost if you do a Cancel or Esc. :wink:

When adding a new Window Covering, the Invert on/off state button is not shown. However, if I edit a Window Covering added before Release 12.04, the button is shown.

At least you don't shoot for the stars :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :D :D.

That last one is a buglet only if the device is a relay and the primary method of getting info to HomeKit is the onState attribute. The reason why is that it's terribly difficult to do that reverse thing, the more I open that up the more I'm adding potential issues to the code down the road. I'll check it out though.

As for the rest of the awesome suggestions, I'll work on it :). The cancel/esc thing is a bit tricky because that means there has to be an errorsDict dialog that then checks a box that says "next time go ahead" and if they make another change then it has to uncheck again... Tricky. Unless you have a better way you've done it in your plugins.

On the cancel thing I don't know if I understand why you want that. Cancel is to hit save to put it back into HomeKit, what would cancel do? Would it effectively delete it from HomeKit?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
Window Coverings is now working in 12.04 :D

Thanks for your efforts on this; it really is turning into a superb plugin. :)

Oh, and thank you! It's been a lot of code and it's nice to hear that.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Next Big Milestone Met

With the now freshly minted Beta 13 released (click to download) this begins the final stretch of closed beta testing! Woot! I feel it's now stable enough to bring in the next group of testers with the final group in the next few days. I'm dubbing this the Open Beta Pre-Release, meaning once we get through this week we'll officially open it up to the world for beta testing.

Thank everyone who has helped on this so far, it's been instrumental in getting this release to be stable. Nothing is worse than releasing a plugin that seems to work great for me only to find there are 20 people who instantly have issues that have to be ironed out :D.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 am
Different Computers offline

Here's a HKB win: I have a bunch of virtual device groups that appear in HBB & HKB. Most of them are so I can say "Turn off the Kitchen lights" and not have to tell Siri to turn off the counter lights, the dimmer, the other light, the kitchen Aurora, etc.

Well, in HBB I have noticed that if I turn off a group, Home is NOT updated for the devices that make up the group with any speed at all. Like, it takes so long I don't even know how long it takes.

In HKB, Home is updated with the correct status of members of the device group essentially instantly--about 1 second later.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
In HKB, Home is updated with the correct status of members of the device group essentially instantly--about 1 second later.

There's a long sordid tale about that issue of not getting Indigo updates reflected in HomeKit via HBB. It was something that could have been implemented long ago but I got burned out before it got implemented and never got to it until about two months ago - the latest HBB build has the instant updates now too. As for the Virtual Device Group things, that's likely new to HKB.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:40 pm
autolog offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
autolog wrote:
... Ideally there should be a check on the Cancel button or pressing Esc that asks if you really want to do it, especially if you have done a lot of editing as it is all lost if you do a Cancel or Esc. :wink:

That last one is a buglet only if the device is a relay and the primary method of getting info to HomeKit is the onState attribute. The reason why is that it's terribly difficult to do that reverse thing, the more I open that up the more I'm adding potential issues to the code down the road. I'll check it out though.

I have done so more testing on this. It seems that if the previous random device you edited had the Invert on/off state button visible then if you add a new device (tested switch and window covering) the Invert on/off state button can be set. however, if the previous device you added didn't have the Invert on/off state button visible then it can't be set for the new device. So knowing this, I have managed to add all my curtains (window covering) with the Invert on/off state button set. :)

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
As for the rest of the awesome suggestions, I'll work on it :). The cancel/esc thing is a bit tricky because that means there has to be an errorsDict dialog that then checks a box that says "next time go ahead" and if they make another change then it has to uncheck again... Tricky. Unless you have a better way you've done it in your plugins.

Don't you already do something similar in as much as if you have are editing a device and haven't added it and click save you display a message saying that you are actively editing and you should save it? I am suggesting that if you hit Cancel and have previously added items to the HomeKIt list, then you will lose them all. So all you need to do (makes it sound easy :wink: ) is to set a flag if anything in the Homekit list has changed (either deleted, added or edited) and display the message if Cancel or Esc is hit. :)

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
On the cancel thing I don't know if I understand why you want that. Cancel is to hit save to put it back into HomeKit, what would cancel do? Would it effectively delete it from HomeKit?

So I do an Edit and select a different device or change its Homekit name and then change my mind - I want to leave it as it was (without having to reselect the device I changed or change the name back to what I had before I changed it). So Cancel doesn't delete anything it just goes back to the state it was in before I hit the edit button. A bit like hitting CMD Z in an editor. :)

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:46 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

autolog wrote:
if the previous device you added didn't have the Invert on/off state button visible then it can't be set for the new device.

Makes sense since Invert didn't appear until several beta's in. Does this mean that all that coding I did for your request is backwards again or does it meant that Invert really wasn't needed in your case because the original behavior would have worked fine if you had known things were reversed already?

autolog wrote:
So all you need to do (makes it sound easy ) is to set a flag if anything in the Homekit list has changed (either deleted, added or edited) and display the message if Cancel or Esc is hit

So, basically, what I said before :roll: :D

autolog wrote:
bit like hitting CMD Z in an editor

That makes complete sense, you want cancel to revert the changes and then save it back. The issue is that "edit" is actually "delete" (you'll notice when you edit the device removes from the list) and that's why the whole "hey you are in edit mode, you cannot save yet" is in there. So now you want me to stash the entirety of the edited list item and revert on cancel. :shock: . I'll see what I can do, it's a lot of tweaking to get that feature but I'll work on it. :wink:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 pm
ZachBenz offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Next Big Milestone Met
Thank everyone who has helped on this so far, it's been instrumental in getting this release to be stable. Nothing is worse than releasing a plugin that seems to work great for me only to find there are 20 people who instantly have issues that have to be ironed out :D.

Thanks for making this plugin and all the hard work, C4W! It's awesome! Finally Apple's HomeKit feels useful!

ZachBenz's Plugins: RingForIndigo

Posted on
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

ZachBenz wrote:
Thanks for making this plugin and all the hard work, C4W! It's awesome! Finally Apple's HomeKit feels useful!

Thank you! I feel the same way, HomeKit feels like it's a viable solution to me now instead of "not great but it works for what I want".

Check Them Out Here

Page 15 of 26 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26